New version of Kinect is pretty impressive sounding !

#11ImThe8thWonderPosted 11/7/2013 8:33:20 PM
SlikkSterr posted...
ImThe8thWonder posted...
Yeah...supplemental actions don't impress me at all. Microsoft should contact me once they create a peripheral that replaces the controller as a whole. I'm not interested in an expensive controller side-kick.

That's interesting because I'm not interested in replacing the controller at all, but pumped about the supplemental stuff. I guess the conclusion we can come to is people have different tastes and different opinions. It sounds like there is going to be a little of both of these options.

Yes, there are different opinions. The only difference is that the side who approves of it aren't getting punished into paying for something they don't want. Would have been lovely if the damn thing was optional.
---
The Xbox One board: Where people don't believe that objective superiority for consoles exist but will attack you on your general opinions if they disagree.
#12SlikkSterrPosted 11/7/2013 8:39:27 PM
ImThe8thWonder posted...
SlikkSterr posted...
ImThe8thWonder posted...
Yeah...supplemental actions don't impress me at all. Microsoft should contact me once they create a peripheral that replaces the controller as a whole. I'm not interested in an expensive controller side-kick.

That's interesting because I'm not interested in replacing the controller at all, but pumped about the supplemental stuff. I guess the conclusion we can come to is people have different tastes and different opinions. It sounds like there is going to be a little of both of these options.

Yes, there are different opinions. The only difference is that the side who approves of it aren't getting punished into paying for something they don't want. Would have been lovely if the damn thing was optional.

I said this in a different thread, but I think people need to stop viewing it as an add on. It's not going to change and it's a part of the system as much as the controller. The xbox one is $500 for the entire package, including the controller, a headset, hard drive, etc. There seem to be two options at this point. Deal with it and accept the system as a whole, skip the system. I'm not unsympathetic toward your view, I totally get it. It's just a moot point now, it really doesn't look like anything is changing with it. There is no Xbox one and kinect there is the Xbox one.
#13ImThe8thWonderPosted 11/7/2013 8:46:57 PM
SlikkSterr posted...
I said this in a different thread, but I think people need to stop viewing it as an add on. It's not going to change and it's a part of the system as much as the controller. The xbox one is $500 for the entire package, including the controller, a headset, hard drive, etc. There seem to be two options at this point. Deal with it and accept the system as a whole, skip the system. I'm not unsympathetic toward your view, I totally get it. It's just a moot point now, it really doesn't look like anything is changing with it. There is no Xbox one and kinect there is the Xbox one.

That's not exactly how people work. You can't expect people to simply swallow their displeasure of something. And sometimes, complaining can get things changed for the better. Most of the time it doesn't, especially not in some lowly forum in the internet, but it has helped before. The DRM reversal is an example of this.

And it's hard to not think of it as an add-on when it isn't essential to the console's functions. It can even be turned off completely, proving that it isn't some vital part of the console like a controller or hard drive. Knowing that, the thought of them having the power to make the peripheral optional won't ever just go away. Their stubbornness to ignore the opinions of pretty much half or more of the gamerbase is frustrating, and people make that known.

But in the end, there would be less fanboy arguing if at least most people didn't try to convince others why their opinion is the objective fact.
---
The Xbox One board: Where people don't believe that objective superiority for consoles exist but will attack you on your general opinions if they disagree.
#14SlikkSterrPosted 11/7/2013 9:26:51 PM
ImThe8thWonder posted...
SlikkSterr posted...

That's not exactly how people work. You can't expect people to simply swallow their displeasure of something. And sometimes, complaining can get things changed for the better. Most of the time it doesn't, especially not in some lowly forum in the internet, but it has helped before. The DRM reversal is an example of this.

And it's hard to not think of it as an add-on when it isn't essential to the console's functions. It can even be turned off completely, proving that it isn't some vital part of the console like a controller or hard drive. Knowing that, the thought of them having the power to make the peripheral optional won't ever just go away. Their stubbornness to ignore the opinions of pretty much half or more of the gamerbase is frustrating, and people make that known.

But in the end, there would be less fanboy arguing if at least most people didn't try to convince others why their opinion is the objective fact.

You're right, I didn't mean you needed to stop complaining, but this close to launch, nothing is changing with kinect for launch. Nowhere did I say you should swallow your displeasure, but ultimately, it's going to come down to 2 decisions. Accept it for what it is and buy it, or skip it. If there's a third option, I'm not seeing it. Excuse me if I tried to give people upset with it a different perspective. I should just focus on the things I want to complain about instead. No where am I asserting my opinion as fact. Unless you think me stating this thing is launching with kinect is opinion. I'm excited for it, I understand why you are not.
#15BoxTheMuppetPosted 11/7/2013 9:38:45 PM
elchris79 posted...
BadLuckInc posted...
I'm excited for the new Kinect, and really happy that EVERYONE who owns an Xbox One will have the option to use the Kinect. This gives more incentive for developers to use it in great new ways. Never had a fear about spying or whatnot that 65 year old gamers and 12 year olds had =)

Developers will only use this to an advantage if it's platform exclusive. Otherwise, why risk alienating another system by forcing them to buy a diet version of the game? Gimmicks don't work. They worked for the Wii in terms of actual consoles sold, not in terms of games sold, which is where the real cheddar is.

Developers will design add-on stuff for the kinect because ms will pay them to. Also, if I was developing a game I would push the immersion as much as possible and not worry if one group got a lesser version on a different machine. With every multi platform game each system runs it differently. Same kinda deal.
---
#1 at absolutely nothing!
#16DarkMark942Posted 11/7/2013 9:41:55 PM
teehee23 posted...
Kinect 2.0 is a game changer and more proofs that Xbox #1 is the champion of next gen.

---
Not changing sig until the Seahawks win the Super Bowl
#17Dev445Posted 11/7/2013 9:46:59 PM
I always thought Kinect as the prototype. Now that Kinect 2.0 is coming out that's the official Kinect experience. I cannot wait to see what developers do with this tech. This Gen is going to be great for Kinect now that everyone will have one.
---
"You all say you want to be human, but why would you want to become something so flawed" - Edward Elric - FullMetal Alchemist
#18Cowboy082288Posted 11/7/2013 10:49:50 PM
elchris79 posted...
BadLuckInc posted...
I'm excited for the new Kinect, and really happy that EVERYONE who owns an Xbox One will have the option to use the Kinect. This gives more incentive for developers to use it in great new ways. Never had a fear about spying or whatnot that 65 year old gamers and 12 year olds had =)

Developers will only use this to an advantage if it's platform exclusive. Otherwise, why risk alienating another system by forcing them to buy a diet version of the game? Gimmicks don't work. They worked for the Wii in terms of actual consoles sold, not in terms of games sold, which is where the real cheddar is.

I'm sorry but that is ridiculous. Thats like saying no dev will take advantage of the superior GDDR 5 data rate on the PS4 because they won't want to offend MS. Hell we all might as well buy Wii Us because no dev will make a multi plat game that looks worse on the Wii U and well the Wii U is cheaper. Then again PC versions of games have been supporting better graphics and features such as more people in multiplayer for years compared to consoles.

Here is what this all comes down to. The big 3 console makers are making a bet on different technologies. In broad terms let me explain what I think those bets are (just my opinion).

Nintendo is betting on touch screen in a big way. MS and Sony have some touch screen support but it is more like extra and not fundamental to the systems. MS and Sony game devs don't know for sure that users will have a touch screen so they can't fully count on it. Nintendo is so all in on this idea that they accepted taking a traditional hardware spec drop for it while still being able to launch at the price point they wanted.

Microsoft is betting on motion control and voice recognition. The kinect 2 is not only bundled with the console but it also is the best camera/mic available for this next gen. MS though was not willing to take the hardware spec drop that Nintendo was willing to take. So they are selling their console at a higher price point than the other two.

Sony This one I think is harder to figure. It seems like a catch all strategy. They have a touch pad on the controller but it's not a full fledged touch screen. They have a camera/mic accessory but it's not bundled or as good as the MS version. What thing they seemed to have been concerned with is hardware specs. Supposedly they originally planned to have 4GB of ram but caught wind that MS would have 8. So they went to 8 and the best version available for graphics processing. I personally think it was very important to the people at Sony that they sale at a price point lower than MS.

A couple of things about all this. Anyone of these companies could have decided to build the most traditionally hardware spec 'powerful' system. If Nintendo wanted they could have built a better specced system than the other 2 and sold it at $600 or even $500. Also this is just my opinion on what they decided to do, any person on those design teams could be looking at this laughing at me :) What I do know though is that much more qualified people than myself were making these sort of decisions at these different companies. None of them are dumb, so anytime you think 'such and such is stupid because.....' you should then rethink, because it is probably you that is being stupid.

Also worth noting is that none of these new consoles is as big a leap as we have seen before from console gens as far as hardware specs go. Clearly neither MS, Sony, nor Nintendo think that pushing specs to the limit is the way to go. Hey none of them came out with a 4K reso system :) This is the first time that some mid range PCs are already as good or better than new consoles across the board.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni