XBOX loses billions for MSFT per year

#31YeomanlyPosted 11/8/2013 3:54:01 AM
iKhan88 posted...
Yeomanly posted...
iKhan88 posted...
Yeomanly posted...
In the end whether it made a profit or not, to finish your 2nd console above the main competitor who were miles ahead against their first console is impressive. If the Wii with it's damn motion controls and Wii Sports did not sell millions, they would have finished this generation 1st.

Xbox is now a brand.

Not at all. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo have all made slip ups, and will continue to do so. It happened that Sony's biggest slip up came up against the 360, so despite its flaws, it wound up the best HD console out there. But the 360 couldn't even compete with the much weaker Wii, and the PS3's sales have improved to the point at which it's almost eclipsed the 360. To have such a gigantic advantage, and screw it up is not impressive at all.

The Wii finished this gen in 1st place, awesome sales in first 2 years then slowly forgotten.

2nd place this gen was Xbox 360, 1 year headstart, amazing Live and cheap.

3rd place was PS3 Very poor start, dropped price, became the machine to buy for cheap Blu-ray, caught up Microsoft, another 6 months and it may overtake it in sales, this gen ends on 15th though.

1. The Wii sold well through 2010, at which point Nintendo quit promoting it and started focusing on the 3DS. Peaking in sales and being forgotten are two very different things

2. "This gen" ended in 2011 when the 3DS came out, unless you mean all consoles need to move on, in which case it ends on the 22nd. Either way you're wrong.

Wrong how?

Official worldwide sales numbers from all 3 consoles as of 1st november 2013 put 1. Wii, 2. Xbox 360, 3. PS3.

And Next gen starts with the PS4 release, WiiU being discounted as of it's weak power in relation.

3 consoles, not handhelds or PC's.
#32zephirrainesPosted 11/8/2013 3:57:03 AM
iKhan88 posted...
Yeomanly posted...
iKhan88 posted...
Yeomanly posted...
In the end whether it made a profit or not, to finish your 2nd console above the main competitor who were miles ahead against their first console is impressive. If the Wii with it's damn motion controls and Wii Sports did not sell millions, they would have finished this generation 1st.

Xbox is now a brand.

Not at all. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo have all made slip ups, and will continue to do so. It happened that Sony's biggest slip up came up against the 360, so despite its flaws, it wound up the best HD console out there. But the 360 couldn't even compete with the much weaker Wii, and the PS3's sales have improved to the point at which it's almost eclipsed the 360. To have such a gigantic advantage, and screw it up is not impressive at all.

The Wii finished this gen in 1st place, awesome sales in first 2 years then slowly forgotten.

3rd place was PS3 Very poor start, dropped price, became the machine to buy for cheap Blu-ray, caught up Microsoft, another 6 months and it may overtake it in sales, this gen ends on 15th though.

1. The Wii sold well through 2010, at which point Nintendo quit promoting it and started focusing on the 3DS. Peaking in sales and being forgotten are two very different things

2. "This gen" ended in 2011 when the 3DS came out, unless you mean all consoles need to move on, in which case it ends on the 22nd. Either way you're wrong.

Either way the 360 sold more units then the ps3 and either way its profitability that matters more.

Also people need to learn a lil about finance before linking this stupid article. Operating costs are offset by operating income. It costs money to make money.
#33iKhan88Posted 11/8/2013 4:48:47 AM
Yeomanly posted...
iKhan88 posted...
Yeomanly posted...
iKhan88 posted...
Yeomanly posted...

Xbox is now a brand.

Wrong how?

Official worldwide sales numbers from all 3 consoles as of 1st november 2013 put 1. Wii, 2. Xbox 360, 3. PS3.

And Next gen starts with the PS4 release, WiiU being discounted as of it's weak power in relation.

3 consoles, not handhelds or PC's.

Those are the most unnecessarily specific qualifications for a gen I've ever seen.

So according to you a gen only progresses when a subset of the devices in the industry improve in one specific type of way.
---
Any sig ideas?
#34EnclavePosted 11/8/2013 4:57:15 AM
This is old news. Why do you think the same share holders who pushed Steve Ballmer out also want Microsoft to sell off the Xbox division?

While I don't think Microsoft will? If Windows 8 doesn't pick up and MS decides it needs to make share holders happy? I could see it potentially get the axe if only to create a short term windfall to help bolster their share prices.

Xbox after all is NOT Microsofts primary business.

If you look at the current big 3 of Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft? Only Microsoft seems likely to axe their console.

Nintendo makes bank off their consoles, that's undeniable.

Sony while the company in general (specifically thanks to electronics division, largely TVs) is having some trouble? They don't intend on axing Playstation since they actually pull good profits from it, it's one of the divisions keeping Sony alive currently.

Microsoft though? Xbox is a black hole of money. It's why they are monetising the **** out of it, more so than any other console maker in history. They're trying to find a way to make money out of it and so far failing at it.

So yeah, if anybody is going to drop the console game it's Microsoft. But that would require various things to happen at Microsoft and I would think isn't overly likely. However I would have said the same about axing Steve Ballmer a couple years ago.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#35gumbyxcore99Posted 11/8/2013 5:02:32 AM
Analyst
---
http://ovalteam.tumblr.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoj0xJsdO7U
#36CyborgTwentyPosted 11/8/2013 5:29:17 AM
More and more voices want to get rid of the Xbox brand which drags the whole company down!

Bloomberg also suggests that Elop is willing to shut down or sell some major Microsoft businesses. Elop would reportedly considering killing off the company’s Bing search engine, while contemplating selling the Xbox business. Some investors and analysts have previously called for the software giant to split off its Xbox business and give up on search. Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen appears to feel the same way. Allen’s $15 billion asset manager, Paul Ghaffari, revealed recently that Bing and Xbox have been distractions for Microsoft. "My view is there are some parts of that operation they should probably spin out, get rid of, to focus on the enterprise and focus on the cloud." Nomura analyst Rick Sherlund claims Microsoft’s financial earnings could be boosted by 40 percent in fiscal 2015 if the company sold its Bing and Xbox businesses.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/8/5080192/microsoft-ceo-candidate-stephen-elop-bing-xbox-rumors
#37EnclavePosted 11/8/2013 5:37:33 AM
gumbyxcore99 posted...
Analyst

It's not so easy to dismiss me I'd think considering everything I said is true.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#38embrandedonePosted 11/8/2013 8:51:18 AM
Mm.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzLUYX7M1SQ -- The Xbox One Board
#39stevieb1234567Posted 11/8/2013 10:26:59 AM
Yeah xbox losing 2 billion for microsoft. There appointing a new ceo for 1st time in 13 years. One of candidates said he would consider selling off the xbox brand cause it loses them so much money.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#40googlerPosted 11/8/2013 10:57:21 AM
I think that would be impossible for them to hemorrhage that much considering the liabilities they have unless this idiot counts things that are part of their entertainment divisions like wp8 or surface (if I'm not mistaken). I'm not even using full price but just of of Live subs, MS probably makes well over a billion, probably more and surface and Xbox are all sold well above production costs