Is 1080P/60FPS something to expect later?

#1TheBroodsRaxonPosted 11/7/2013 9:19:10 PM
Obviously the big topic for discussion on this board has been all the games that continue to be announced on the XB1 as either natively 720p or 900p, with the 1080p games being the exception rather than the rule. I think gamers have a right to be upset that the XB1 isn't coming out of the gate with the sort of graphical fidelity that Sony is with the PS4 (I know I am).

What makes things worse for this consumer personally is that Microsoft's extras with the XB1 make a better argument of "Why not just build a PC?" than the PS4. It's not like the PS4 offers anything special the way the XB1 does whether you dismiss those extra features or not. So while Xbox One gaming will feature this generation's graphical fidelity with more things on the screen or a bigger game world, I'm still leaning that way because... well I'm building a PC so why bother with a PS4?

Still, the fat that one system is embracing 1080p/60FPS while another isn't is a sign that one system is not producing an acceptable product for the next gen (my opinion only). Is there any evidence out there that later games on the XB1 will support 1080p 60fps, or are the launch titles a sign that the system really isn't capable of it on a practical level?
---
"We, Jaina, are the New Jedi Order... and this is OUR war." -Kyp Durron
#2Dev0311Posted 11/7/2013 9:22:35 PM
I would expect it to be a goal. I mean, if the Wii U is reaching that goal with some exclusives, then the other companies should make the effort. Even if it means toning down the graphics.
#3phoenix9291Posted 11/7/2013 9:36:13 PM
It is likely something that can be expected or at the very least 1080p/30fps or 720p/60fps. Just look at games from the beginning of current gen and then look at games now on current gen. There is a pretty decent difference and while that doesn't mean there will be such a difference next gen it is still something to look at.

Developers have only just begun to use both next gen systems. Both systems will continue to look better and better as time goes on. I expect to see 1080p/60FPS nearly all the time on PS4 once the real capabilities are started to be tapped into and at least one of 1080p or 60FPS if not both nearly all the time on Xbox One when its capabilities are tapped into.
---
Not changing sig until Flyers win the cup
#4CyberneticRatPosted 11/7/2013 9:41:06 PM
I sincerely hope so. Xbox 360 launch games look like something out of the previous generation. Compare the first Halo to Halo 4 and you will see a major difference. I expect next-gen to be no different.
---
Gamer Tag: MANNKILLER83
Proud Supporter of The Wonderbolts
#5phoenix9291Posted 11/7/2013 9:45:44 PM
I find it kind of cool comparing games in the same series together, especially when you think back and it is a game you thought was gorgeous when you first played it. Comparing the Mass Effect games and Elder Scroll games and then seeing how much better the successors look (and play) makes me really excited about the future of next gen.
---
Not changing sig until Flyers win the cup
#6TheBroodsRaxon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2013 9:47:32 PM
phoenix9291 posted...
It is likely something that can be expected or at the very least 1080p/30fps or 720p/60fps. Just look at games from the beginning of current gen and then look at games now on current gen. There is a pretty decent difference and while that doesn't mean there will be such a difference next gen it is still something to look at.

Developers have only just begun to use both next gen systems. Both systems will continue to look better and better as time goes on. I expect to see 1080p/60FPS nearly all the time on PS4 once the real capabilities are started to be tapped into and at least one of 1080p or 60FPS if not both nearly all the time on Xbox One when its capabilities are tapped into.

I definitely believe games will look better on both systems as time goes on, and while I might be getting into semantics here, I don't want to blend the conversation of graphics and resolution. While a 720p game today looks better than one did a few years ago, and will look worse than one a few years down the road, my concern is that launch titles could be seen as evidence that the XB1 cannot efficiently handle that many pixels and that many frames per second.

I'm just looking for evidence of what you're saying- that we will see a standard of 1080/60fps on the Xbox One once developers gain confidence in the system. Right now I'm worried that's just wishful thinking.
---
#7EastCoastKodyPosted 11/7/2013 9:47:57 PM
Forza is a launch title.....@ 1080p 60fps
#8TheBorderColliePosted 11/7/2013 9:55:52 PM
EastCoastKody posted...

^^ This.

I find it quite amusing when Sony Fanboys criticize a title for being 720p / 30 FPS....when it's exactly 720p and 30 FPS more than what they are getting to begin with....

LOL
---
Proud supporter of the PS4 and Xbox #1
Annoy a domestic terrorist....VOTE!
#9TheBroodsRaxon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2013 10:02:39 PM
TheBorderCollie posted...
EastCoastKody posted...

^^ This.

I find it quite amusing when Sony Fanboys criticize a title for being 720p / 30 FPS....when it's exactly 720p and 30 FPS more than what they are getting to begin with....

LOL

You two clearly didn't read my original post. You know... the part where I point out that the 1080p/60fps launch titles are the exception rather than the rule?

You really want to play this game? Really? You really want me to come back with the laundry list of XB1 games that WON'T be running natively at 1080p/60fps? Go home, fanboys. You're drunk, and you're the reason why next gen consoles cut corners like this.
---
#10TheBroodsRaxon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2013 10:04:58 PM
There's a difference between "possible" and "practical."

Please expand your vocabularies before coming back.
---