Is 1080P/60FPS something to expect later?

#21Ramsus082Posted 11/7/2013 10:21:51 PM
1080p60fps on Forza5 is less impressive when you consider

A) The cornerss they cut to get there(weak lighting, sterile tracks, poor backgrounds, no dynamic weather, etc)

B) GT5 on the PS3 is 1080p60fps, though it's 1280x1080. When you have so few moving characters like racing games, it's not the feat it's made out to be despite hhow good Forza5 looks. And it does look good, but it's a poor indicator of future X1 resolution standards.
---
Band I'm listening to - "Song I'm listening to"
#22looselinkPosted 11/7/2013 10:39:17 PM
TheBroodsRaxon posted...
Anyway, trying to get back on topic without cheerleaders taking defensive posture, is there anything from developers explaining why most launch titles are sub 1080 or that would suggest that they will be pushing 1080 in the future? We can speculate all day long but i really want something that will tell me what to expect for this system long term

Not sure if anybody has told you yet or not but the PS4 is about 50% stronger than the XB1. I don't have a link handy but just google PS4 50% stronger or PS4 50% more powerful and you'll see. Also From what I understand you are correct the XB1 is and will remain a 720p machine, and will have a 1080p game every blue moon. In addition the PS4 is almost guaranteed to play every multiplat better than the XB1 this gen due to it having 50% more power and being easier to develop for.
#23Millertime660Posted 11/7/2013 10:40:12 PM
True_FoeHammer posted...
Millertime660 posted...
TheBroodsRaxon posted...
Anyway, trying to get back on topic without cheerleaders taking defensive posture, is there anything from developers explaining why most launch titles are sub 1080 or that would suggest that they will be pushing 1080 in the future? We can speculate all day long but i really want something that will tell me what to expect for this system long term

One of the guys from IW explained that it was optimization. Which is obvious, Id say the PS4 is just easier to optimize to those settings.... by no means does that make the Xbox one incapable at achieving it. ie: Forza

Are you really saying that a pseudo-second party developer like Infinity Ward chose to optimize for the PS4 version over the X1?

nope thats not what i was saying at all. I was saying that I read an article where the dev said it was due to optimizing the game to run at 60fps on both consoles.... i said nothing about choice.
#24Ramsus082Posted 11/7/2013 10:41:48 PM
But no, TC, my opinion is that we shouldn't expect 1080p60fps as a realistic standard for X1 games, or even 900p. Developers on X1 titles seem comfortable sacrificing resolution for level of detail and selling the idea that it's one or the other, and the consumer base seems comfortable so far with that tradeoff. Frankly, we still have a worrying number of gamers who are genuinely debating weather or not the same exact art assets look better at less than half the number of pixels(BF4). If the consumers don't demand better, then there's really no incentive for studios to spend the extra resources to make it happen.

To me, the issue isn't so much the resolution as it is the scale of levels, the sophistication of AI, the number of visable characters on-screen, the quality of physics, etc. that logically would need to be scaled down on X1 games or have lower targets. Performance in games is more than the number of pixels, but I don't think this gets considered. We get a powerful console here, especially in comparison to the current generation, but there's an unmistakable feeling that our standards were higher just six months ago, and that it has little to do with consumer entitlement.
---
#25mike468Posted 11/7/2013 10:43:36 PM
Ramsus082 posted...

A) The cornerss they cut to get there(weak lighting, sterile tracks, poor backgrounds, no dynamic weather, etc)

"Weak lighting", Really?! Dynamic lighting is weak? Forza has car damage and is running up to 16 Cloud powered A.I.s. in single player match.
---
The Official Thunder Of The Killer Instinct Board
#26InjusticeRebornPosted 11/7/2013 10:46:49 PM
Ramsus082 posted...

B) GT5 on the PS3 is 1080p60fps, though it's 1280x1080. When you have so few moving characters like racing games, it's not the feat it's made out to be despite hhow good Forza5 looks. And it does look good, but it's a poor indicator of future X1 resolution standards.

See, I don't know my resolutions. Like I've said PLENTY of times since this all blew out of proportion, I wasn't aware of the requirements to reach 1080p to make if 'officially' next-gen. However, the tone I get from the bolded bit is, "GT5 is 1080p, but it isn't true 1080p" - why make it an argument then? :P

And didn't GT5 cut corners also? Like not modelling all the cars, or something like that?

Sorry to stray away from the original topic. It's been done to death now, and quite honestly, I'm fed up with it, because I have no issue. As long as the games look good, as long as they look a step up from the previous generation, I am happy. And they do.

I will agree though that frame rate is more important to me than resolution. So much so, as I'm still on the fence to where to go next-gen, and with my wanting a racing game, I've just been looking into DriveClub. Looks stunning, looks to have damage? (I've tried to find confirmation, or a feature list of some sort, official PS site was useless). But as far as I'm aware, it is 1080p 30fps at the moment - not good for a racing game in my opinion. I hope they can sort it out.
#27plus1zeroPosted 11/7/2013 10:47:41 PM
TheBorderCollie posted...
EastCoastKody posted...
Forza is a launch title.....@ 1080p 60fps

^^ This.

I find it quite amusing when Sony Fanboys criticize a title for being 720p / 30 FPS....when it's exactly 720p and 30 FPS more than what they are getting to begin with....

LOL

Well to be fair racing games are not taxing on a system's hardware. I also read somewhere that it wasn't running smooth at that, but I will wait to call that fact.

Dead Rising 3 is 720p 30FPS...that's what DR1 and 2 were at upscaled.
#28Millertime660Posted 11/7/2013 10:57:16 PM
plus1zero posted...
TheBorderCollie posted...
EastCoastKody posted...
Forza is a launch title.....@ 1080p 60fps

^^ This.

I find it quite amusing when Sony Fanboys criticize a title for being 720p / 30 FPS....when it's exactly 720p and 30 FPS more than what they are getting to begin with....

LOL

Well to be fair racing games are not taxing on a system's hardware. I also read somewhere that it wasn't running smooth at that, but I will wait to call that fact.

Dead Rising 3 is 720p 30FPS...that's what DR1 and 2 were at upscaled.

if that is the case then why is driveclub not running at the 1080p 60fps that racing games should be able to hit on the PS4? These arguments are all just silly....
#29Ramsus082Posted 11/7/2013 11:01:42 PM
mike468 posted...
Ramsus082 posted...

"Weak lighting", Really?! Dynamic lighting is weak? Forza has car damage and is running up to 16 Cloud powered A.I.s. in single player match.

Plenty about Forza5 looks great, like the car models that look fantastic, but the soft lighting looks baked, though I'm sure it isn't.
---
#30CaptainKatsuraPosted 11/8/2013 12:32:28 AM
Consoles should achieve at LEAST 720p/60fps for multiplayer games.I don't really care if single-player games are 1080p/30fps or 900p/45fps or whatever,but I honestly think that any and all multiplayer games should be running at a minimum of 60fps.

Besides,I got my gaming rig for all my 1080p needs.Might upgrade to 2k down the line later.
---
Herp-a derp