Is 1080P/60FPS something to expect later?

#31TheBorderColliePosted 11/8/2013 9:29:19 AM
plus1zero posted...
TheBorderCollie posted...
EastCoastKody posted...
Forza is a launch title.....@ 1080p 60fps

^^ This.

I find it quite amusing when Sony Fanboys criticize a title for being 720p / 30 FPS....when it's exactly 720p and 30 FPS more than what they are getting to begin with....

LOL

Well to be fair racing games are not taxing on a system's hardware. I also read somewhere that it wasn't running smooth at that, but I will wait to call that fact.

Dead Rising 3 is 720p 30FPS...that's what DR1 and 2 were at upscaled.

...And Dead Rising 1 and 2 were not doing anywhere close to what Dead Rising 3 is doing, either.
---
Proud supporter of the PS4 and Xbox #1
Annoy a domestic terrorist....VOTE!
#32Ramsus082Posted 11/8/2013 2:57:56 PM
Bumping
---
Band I'm listening to - "Song I'm listening to"
#33Viet0nePosted 11/8/2013 3:00:46 PM
Ramsus082 posted...
mike468 posted...
Ramsus082 posted...
1080p60fps on Forza5 is less impressive when you consider

A) The cornerss they cut to get there(weak lighting, sterile tracks, poor backgrounds, no dynamic weather, etc)

"Weak lighting", Really?! Dynamic lighting is weak? Forza has car damage and is running up to 16 Cloud powered A.I.s. in single player match.

Plenty about Forza5 looks great, like the car models that look fantastic, but the soft lighting looks baked, though I'm sure it isn't.

It's already known Forza5 is not using dynamic lighting. It's pre-baked into the tracks.
---
Currently Playing: Civ5
PSN/XBL : VietOne
#34dekouPosted 11/8/2013 3:51:32 PM
High resolutions result in high VRAM usage. I suspect the reason why we're seeing so many sub-1080p launch titles is that XB1 has crappy old GDDR3 inside of it. ESRAM is there to compensate, but it's probably hard to optimize for.

Why MS uses GDDR3 in its console is still a bit of a mystery to me. They could've split it into 6 Gb of DDr3 and 2 Gb of GDDR5, but no.

IN the end, though, it's up to developers to decide which resolution their game uses. They can always sacrifice some eye candy for a better resolution. I suspect they won't. After all, consoles have been using sub-720p resolutions for years and people haven't complained much.
#35BloodyDove2vsPosted 11/8/2013 3:54:23 PM
EastCoastKody posted...
Forza is a launch title.....@ 1080p 60fps

running the very basic
---
Farewell Steve WarChest Ballmer. Goodbye Xbox brand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp8aNBFFaw0
#36segagamerPosted 11/8/2013 4:00:11 PM
No.

Personally, I think it will be like usual.
---
Wii U+Xbox One :)
NNID: JZimino
#37Kupo_Mog_KupoPosted 11/8/2013 4:01:39 PM
Well from the reports Xbox One is harder to develop for than PS4. I would say a lot of the problems are people not having as much time to get familiar with the hardware. I think there are 3 or 4 games on the Xbox One that are 1080p at launch.

Battlefield on PS4 is at a higher resolution but it didn't hit 1080p either. Then wasn't it Killzone that is 1080p but 30fps in single player. I'm sure if they had more time they probably could have reached 1080p and 60 fps.
#38TheBroodsRaxon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 5:35:56 PM
Kupo_Mog_Kupo posted...
Well from the reports Xbox One is harder to develop for than PS4. I would say a lot of the problems are people not having as much time to get familiar with the hardware. I think there are 3 or 4 games on the Xbox One that are 1080p at launch.

Battlefield on PS4 is at a higher resolution but it didn't hit 1080p either. Then wasn't it Killzone that is 1080p but 30fps in single player. I'm sure if they had more time they probably could have reached 1080p and 60 fps.

I hear this a lot, but I feel like a key piece of information that we aren't getting from these reports you're talking about is WHY the Xbox One is harder to develop for. I think if we had that, maybe we would know if we can expect a 1080p/60fps standard in the future (and maybe we'll get that answer after launch). There is a world of difference between saying it's harder to develop for because devs just aren't as familiar with the system (maybe it's a more complex architecture than the PS4? I'm not a tech guy so I don't know if that's even an appropriate guess) and saying it's harder to develop for because the system hasn't been handling the workload the PS4 is handling. The former will get better with time and practice, but the latter seems like a limfac.

Someone else mentioned the decision to tone down either CoD or BF4 in order to optimize performance. I'm sure he concisely gave us all the information his article gave him, which still leaves me asking, "Why was performance limited to the point of requiring downscaling?" The answer to that question might give us some insight of things to come, for better or worse.

Absolute worst case scenario, this hardware is more or less obsolete compared to it's Sony counterpart. One thing Microsoft did very well this generation was release new versions of the same console with updated features. Anyone else still have an Xbox 360 with a 20GB hdd and no HDMI port? Cause this guy does...
---
"We, Jaina, are the New Jedi Order... and this is OUR war." -Kyp Durron
#39TheBroodsRaxon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 5:44:58 PM
Parting words in case I don't come back to this topic:

No matter how much you're in Microsoft's or Sony's or any company's corner on their flagship in a given market, be a good consumer instead of a fanboy. It blew me away that some people called this a troll topic because I dared to speak ill of the console they plan on buying. I've owned an Xbox since the first one, and I've been an XBL subscriber for 10 years (my GT is Lucky Bob. Feel free to fact check that). I can quantifiably say I've supported Microsoft's consoles for over a decade. But if a competitor is offering something that your product isn't, or you have an expectation for your product and it isn't delivering, don't find ways to rationalize your way to accept it. Aggressively demand better from your product. Even if you eventually accept it for it's shortcomings, make the statement where you can that they are, in fact, shortcomings. If your company doesn't listen to you, someone else will, and that will get everyone's attention.

*steps off pedestal*
---
"We, Jaina, are the New Jedi Order... and this is OUR war." -Kyp Durron
#40mike468Posted 11/8/2013 5:56:08 PM
Kupo_Mog_Kupo posted...

My thoughts exactly. I think the XBO games that actually are hitting 1080p 60fps have been in development the longest (Forza, for example). I'm sure BF4, COD:G and the other multiplatforms haven't even had a year of dedicated work to getting the games running on the XBOm. Your talking probably only a few months at best.
---
The Official Thunder Of The Killer Instinct Board