Can this really be next gen?

#1LocqlynnPosted 11/7/2013 10:38:49 PM
Hi there, I'm not being a troll, I'm a pc gamer, I did have a 360, I bought one on launch, and I loved my ps2, and the nes and snes are dear to me.

However, these new "nextgen" consoles are running on 2011 hardware. I mean they are already behind and not already out. I'm not even going to touch on the 720p problems, this is almost 2014, 1080p at 60 should be standard. But don't you think the future of gaming is more towards social and mmo gaming?

As for me... I'm waiting on the rift oculus
---
Everytime I hear bipennis, I giggle
#22ndAtomiskPosted 11/7/2013 10:44:28 PM(edited)
I'd wait for developers to get used to the Xbox One before I start assuming things won't improve.

So by this time in a year or two, if they can't get 1080p/60fps I'll just assume it won't happen for very many games.
---
I'm gonna cut out your eyes and piss in the ****ing sockets! ~ Kaine
#3SilentS89Posted 11/7/2013 10:44:15 PM
Locqlynn posted...
Hi there, I'm not being a troll, I'm a pc gamer, I did have a 360, I bought one on launch, and I loved my ps2, and the nes and snes are dear to me.

However, these new "nextgen" consoles are running on 2011 hardware. I mean they are already behind and not already out. I'm not even going to touch on the 720p problems, this is almost 2014, 1080p at 60 should be standard. But don't you think the future of gaming is more towards social and mmo gaming?

Hi Locqlynn.

I am also not impressed by "the next gen". I also agree that 1080p and 60 should be the standard. It is my belief that Microsoft and Sony should make 1080p and 60fps a requirement for technical certification, but I've yet to see anyone agree with me about that.

In regards to the future of gaming, it is hard to say. I hope not, because social and mmo gaming don't interest me in the slightest.

I do have high hopes for the rift though, seems like it has real potential.
#4Cowboy082288Posted 11/7/2013 10:46:13 PM
Locqlynn posted...

Well if it's more towards social and MMO then hardware don't matter much anyways. As for you original point, yeah the hardware specs are not really all that impressive for any of these consoles. But guess what........ PC and laptop sales are down year over year while smartphones and tablet sales are up. If you can figure out the answer to that, you will understand the answer to your own question.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#5Millertime660Posted 11/7/2013 10:49:21 PM
Honestly, to me, console gaming is not about graphics. It is a convenient ecosystem to play optimized games on. If next gen was just a tad better graphically, but had more immersive worlds and next to zero load times I would be happy.

The fact that ill be able to turn my system on and be in a game lobby in less time than getting through the load screen on GTA v make me a very happy man.
#6Locqlynn(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2013 10:53:25 PM
I see "next gen" as playing 4k games at 120fps at 240hz
---
#7FoppePosted 11/7/2013 10:54:38 PM
Why do people expect every new console to use hardware that wont hit the PC market for another 3 years, being sold for $299 and have all launch titles push the limit of the hardware?

As for generations, it's not based on the hardware, it's based on when you release a new console.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#8Locqlynn(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2013 10:54:57 PM
this is more like just a tiny jump. I don't seem them getting 5 years out of this.
---
#9Cowboy082288Posted 11/7/2013 10:57:44 PM
I'll give some of you a hint....... 'form factor' see if you can figure it out :) This is a term that is widely used in the tech industry..... another hint :)
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#10Locqlynn(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2013 10:57:55 PM
So I'm asking too much to for xbox 1 to run a game at 1080p at almost 2014? Do you even know what kind of computer hardware is out right now?
---