I don't need cable TV to run my Xbox One, do I?

#1icewolf74Posted 11/8/2013 5:17:53 AM
Just wondering if Microsoft is going to force us to connect a cable TV provider to our Xbox One if we are going to be able to play games on it. I don't have cable TV and just play games only. I prefer to get my TV through the internet on my laptop computer.

The reason I ask is because of this article on Game Informer: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/11/08/six-interesting-things-we-learned-about-the-xbox-one-user-experience.aspx. The very first bulleted point talks setting up your TV for the Xbox One. They make it sound like that cable is going to be required for the Xbox One to be at all functional, including running games. If this is the case, I may have to cancel my preorder. I am trying not to panic though and will wait for responses before it sets in.
#2TheKing012Posted 11/8/2013 5:19:52 AM
not sure, but you will need to have an external cable box connected to actually use the Xbone's TV functionality.

figure that one out.
#3xninjagrrlPosted 11/8/2013 5:22:30 AM
TheKing012 posted...
not sure, but you will need to have an external cable box connected to actually use the Xbone's TV functionality.

figure that one out.

Coax from wall into cable box, cable box hdmi into xbone. No you do not have to have cable or a cable box to use your X1, play games, etc. However, if you want to watch tv on the bone, then you need a cable box, obviously. There's just alot of poorly written articles about the xbox's features recently.
---
Pros: The pills were there.
Cons: So was the tank.
#4icewolf74(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 5:24:05 AM
TheKing012 posted...

figure that one out.

Well I figured, I would not use the Xbox One's TV functionality. However, if this is going to be forced on us...I don't know. I'd hate to bring my shiny new Xbox One home, set it up, then go through the set up menus and not be able to get past the Xbox One TV screen. I would be sad...and pissed...if I wasted 500 dollars on a machine that required me to have TV connected to it in order to get to the menu to let me play games.
#5icewolf74(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 5:25:23 AM
xninjagrrl posted...
TheKing012 posted...

figure that one out.

Coax from wall into cable box, cable box hdmi into xbone. No you do not have to have cable or a cable box to use your X1, play games, etc. However, if you want to watch tv on the bone, then you need a cable box, obviously. There's just alot of poorly written articles about the xbox's features recently.

I sure hope this is just a poorly written article. I really want this console, but I won't buy it if it requires me to have a cable box hooked up to it.
#6BeefEasterPosted 11/8/2013 6:28:14 AM
of course it doesn't require you to have cable hooked up to it for it to function

what a silly question
---
I play with dolls: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/BeefEaster/003_zps64d8bdd3.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/BeefEaster/001_zps33d21332.jpg
#7SparkItUpPosted 11/8/2013 6:36:40 AM
BeefEaster posted...
of course it doesn't require you to have cable hooked up to it for it to function

what a silly question

^ this...it gives you 100% free cable...btw TC, would you like a piece of future beach front property in Utah?
---
http://youtu.be/Mke9EHMQMYI
Did you stand to close to the fire, like a liar looking for forgiveness from a stone...
#8Theninja2004Posted 11/8/2013 7:32:41 AM
BeefEaster posted...

what a silly question

Yeah the misinformation spreading around is getting ridiculous now!
---
Gamertag : Slashingwind
#9blitz_0623Posted 11/8/2013 7:35:09 AM(edited)
SparkItUp posted...
BeefEaster posted...

what a silly question

^ this...it gives you 100% free cable...btw TC, would you like a piece of future beach front property in Utah?

Where did you read this? I'd like free cable as well when I buy the X1
---
The purpose of this signature is to allow me to post in ALL CAPS