How likely is a Kinectless Xbox One?

#11blitz_0623Posted 11/8/2013 7:20:48 AM
Maybe if they aren't meeting sales expectations they will release a Kinect-less SKU, but that doesn't seem to be case at the moment.
---
The purpose of this signature is to allow me to post in ALL CAPS
#12Featherwind(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 10:00:16 AM
bump
---
pathological
#13TheKing012Posted 11/8/2013 10:19:39 AM
trust me, they are going to go back on what they've previously stated.

there's absolutely no way that with the PS4 being $399, launching in 32 regions vs Xbone's 13, with all the negative PR baggage, and with the PS4 having a much larger advertising presence on television, that Microsoft isn't already feeling the heat.

and this is before considering it's arrival in Japan. before considering the significant lead worldwide the PS4 is going to have over the Xbox One. expect a price drop no later than E3, with a Kinect-less SKU to follow.
#14YeomanlyPosted 11/8/2013 11:02:24 AM
No way they are ever going Kinect'less, after seeing the OS in action this console will sell insane amounts to the average person, when they see this in action in the TV department in stores.

Average people sales is million times better than gamers, we are tier 2.
#15Featherwind(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 11:19:51 AM
Yeomanly posted...
No way they are ever going Kinect'less, after seeing the OS in action this console will sell insane amounts to the average person, when they see this in action in the TV department in stores.

I don't know, atm it seems that the PS4 is more popular of the two and it is generally seen as the console that targets the gamer crowd. Also the Wii U isn't doing too good.

500 dollars or euros is probably a bit too high to be an instant buy without any research for many especially when things like the Day 1 patch and Xbox Live Gold need to be considered. Maybe if it was cheaper people could buy it for the novelty or on a whim but if they do any research they are going to stumble upon one of the Console War battlefields and the mandatory Kinect has certainly given ammo to use against the Xbox One.
---
pathological
#16YeomanlyPosted 11/8/2013 11:26:11 AM
Featherwind posted...
Yeomanly posted...

I don't know, atm it seems that the PS4 is more popular of the two and it is generally seen as the console that targets the gamer crowd. Also the Wii U isn't doing too good.

500 dollars or euros is probably a bit too high to be an instant buy without any research for many especially when things like the Day 1 patch and Xbox Live Gold need to be considered. Maybe if it was cheaper people could buy it for the novelty or on a whim but if they do any research they are going to stumble upon one of the Console War battlefields and the mandatory Kinect has certainly given ammo to use against the Xbox One.

I did state average people, the people that pay over 500 for ipads, the ones that buy a TV because it is shinier plastic than the one sat next to it.

Both consoles will sell out to gamers in first few months, then what?

You hit the crowd that spent millions on the Wii, those that want Fitness, watch TV.
#17ElPolloDiablo87Posted 11/8/2013 11:29:08 AM
Yeomanly posted...
Featherwind posted...
Yeomanly posted...

I did state average people, the people that pay over 500 for ipads, the ones that buy a TV because it is shinier plastic than the one sat next to it.

You hit the crowd that spent millions on the Wii, those that want Fitness, watch TV.

Yeah, people forget that gaming forum goers are just a microcosm of gamers in general, and an even smaller microcosm of electronics consumers.
---
Madre de Dios, es El Pollo Diablo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28WrhpTzQA
#18KolanifvPosted 11/8/2013 11:57:36 AM
Won't happen. It's like the pipedream fantasies of people who thought it was possible to release a PS3 without a BluRay drive. Hardware HAS to stay stable through a console's lifespan or you risk alienating buyers further down the line. The only times that a console manufacturer has legitimately tried to push an add on to consumers, they've all more or less flopped: Sega CD, Sega 32X, Sega Saturn RAM expansion, N64 Memory Expansion.
#19Featherwind(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 12:11:39 PM
ElPolloDiablo87 posted...
Yeomanly posted...

Yeah, people forget that gaming forum goers are just a microcosm of gamers in general, and an even smaller microcosm of electronics consumers.

I did not forget this. I can't explain why people buy things like those 100 dollar cables but I don't think this group automatically makes products successful. People pay a lot for iPads but not for Surfaces, they use Facebook but not Google+ etc. Right now I don't see any reason why this fickle and mysterious group would buy this in "insane" amounts and consoles that target this group have been both successful and unsuccessful (Wii and Wii U).

Remember that the most selling video game console is not the Wii but the PS2. I'd argue that the main point of that console was gaming and it did not rely on "gimmicks" nearly as much. The Xbox 360 was very successful as well and did not have as many gimmicks as the PS3.
---
pathological
#20ILikesCheesePosted 11/8/2013 1:47:39 PM
Featherwind posted...
It won't happen.

Why not? MS has been eager to change the Xbox One and the Kinect is one of the most controversial features it has.

So much of the OS is designed around it, and they have such a heavy investment in it.

Anyone who says a Kinect-Less Xbox One WON'T happen is either;

1) A Fool
2) Afraid Microsoft will lose money and Kinect saturation for some reason because consumers will wait to purchase the updated model in 2014
3) Knows absolutely nothing about how a business operates. ANY business.

The whole "So much of the OS is designed around it" excuse was the same line of bull the MS PR team was feeding us when they were adamant that the device could NOT be turned off or severed from the Xbox One Console. Low and behold the Kinect can be completely removed from the system, stored in the box and the Xbox One will work just fine.

Everything you can do with the Kinect you can do with a controller, except for playing the two or three Kinect specific games that are lined up to come out in the next year. Unless you have a hankering for "Dance Central 2014", the Xbox One will work just dandy without the Kinect. And if you don't care for the device nor have any use for it, just wait until Microsoft caves and offers the Kinect-Free Xbox One for $399 next summer.

They've already manufactured a couple million units with the Kinect built in and must sell those first. Of course MS's official stance at the moment is "We will never make a Kinect-Less SKU." But as recent history has proven again and again and again, MS goes back on their "nevers" quite easily. Once the initial stock is depleted and MS has scored that extra $100 from a million or so suckers this holiday season, out comes the NEW AND IMPROVED XBOX ONE!!
---
The Xbox One can only run most games in the 720P visual standard. Perhaps it should have been called the XBOX 720 after all.
LOL