To be honest, all this CEO talk has me a little apprehensive.

#1khardboredPosted 11/8/2013 7:58:18 AM
I'll say right from the start, I don't know how these things work. I do know the basics, but that is about it. But when a possible CEO is already talking about selling off the console division, it really does sound like the Xbox brand could be in trouble. It makes me wonder if continuing with my purchase is such a wise idea when the future is so uncertain.

Make no mistake, I absolutely love the brand and I know I will enjoy the latest iteration. But what would be the point of making this investment if a few years down the line, it gets sold off and the entity that buys it runs it deep into the ground?

I am also worried that even then possibility of this will drive developers away as well. And once again, who wants a console that has developers jumping ship left and right? It's all just a bit worrisome.

This is all hypothetical btw. I am a "worst case scenario, glass is half-empty, I always look at the negatives first" type of person. I could be 100% off the mark on this and am making something out of nothing. My ignorance about the inner workings of corporations isn't helping me either. Nor do I know much about big-business outside of my own business.

I also don't like the idea of their being only two major console brands. It just doesn't sound all that appealing with Sony having a monopoly over a certain set of gamers and Nintendo with the rest.

Anyway, I could be thinking about this all wrong or I don't have all the info, or both. Something. It just doesn't sit right with me.

./end rant
---
if (instr(buf,sys_errlist[errno])) /* you don't see this */
#2embrandedonePosted 11/8/2013 8:01:05 AM
Reassurance topic

/obligatory reassurance topic post
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzLUYX7M1SQ -- The Xbox One Board
#3SilentS89Posted 11/8/2013 8:01:47 AM
It seems somewhat strange that they are being so open about this.

Similar in concept as to why you don't discuss possible layoffs where the "at-risk" employees can hear you.
#4khardbored(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 8:02:18 AM
Uh, what? How can this be considered reassurance when I am thinking of cancelling my order? I am not expecting people to sway me either way, either.
---
if (instr(buf,sys_errlist[errno])) /* you don't see this */
#5SilentS89Posted 11/8/2013 8:04:16 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6blitz_0623Posted 11/8/2013 8:06:02 AM
khardbored posted...
Uh, what? How can this be considered reassurance when I am thinking of cancelling my order? I am not expecting people to sway me either way, either.

He just thinks every topic should have a "reassurance topic" post because that post is everywhere
It's like saying inb4reassurancetopic
---
The purpose of this signature is to allow me to post in ALL CAPS
#7SilentS89Posted 11/8/2013 8:07:31 AM
blitz_0623 posted...
khardbored posted...

He just thinks every topic should have a "reassurance topic" post because that post is everywhere
It's like saying inb4reassurancetopic

Would have been better if he just said inb4reassurancetopic, it would have taken him less time and we wouldn't have needed this discussion.
#8ElPolloDiablo87Posted 11/8/2013 8:10:41 AM
I don't know. They may be thinking of selling Xbox but I really don't see why. Xbox is the shining centerpiece of their entertainment and devices division and their efforts to create a unified platform across your PC, phone, tablet and television. Getting rid of Xbox makes sense if they're getting rid of their entire entertainment and devices division including Surface and Windows Phone, but if they're not doing that I find it unlikely that they'd sell off the one brand in that division that is actually pretty well liked.
---
Madre de Dios, es El Pollo Diablo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28WrhpTzQA
#9EnclavePosted 11/8/2013 8:18:30 AM(edited)
Ok, IF Xbox is sold off? It likely wouldn't have much if any impact on people who already own the Xbone. The company that buys it from Microsoft would likely keep the service running and only make minor adjustments initially and more major ones over time but they would probably try very hard to not disrupt their existing customer base.

So yeah, don't worry too much about it, odds are high that if it's sold it won't affect the customers much at all.

ElPolloDiablo87 posted...
I don't know. They may be thinking of selling Xbox but I really don't see why. Xbox is the shining centerpiece of their entertainment and devices division and their efforts to create a unified platform across your PC, phone, tablet and television. Getting rid of Xbox makes sense if they're getting rid of their entire entertainment and devices division including Surface and Windows Phone, but if they're not doing that I find it unlikely that they'd sell off the one brand in that division that is actually pretty well liked.

Because it's a black hole where money goes in and never comes out. Microsoft has lost BILLIONS of dollars on the Xbox brand and there are very major share holders (the same share holders who are largely responsible for Steve Ballmer being pushed out) who have been calling for it to be sold off.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#10SilentS89Posted 11/8/2013 8:16:23 AM
Enclave posted...
Ok, IF Xbox is sold off? It likely wouldn't have much if any impact on people who already own the Xbone. The company that buys it from Microsoft would likely keep the service running and only make minor adjustments initially and more major ones over time but they would probably try very hard to not disrupt their existing customer base.

So yeah, don't worry too much about it, odds are high that if it's sold it won't affect the customers much at all.

Not sure if accurate.

Would the Dreamcast situation serve as a possible precedent or is that too different for proper comparison in this respect?