Is Xbox One only winning the war of third-party support because MS is rich?

#1IzecPosted 11/8/2013 11:26:54 PM(edited)
Are you okay with possibly having to choose between console quality and game library quality? - Results (70 votes)
Yes, that's life.
31.43% (22 votes)
No, the lesser console developer should bow out of the market, or at least stop hogging all the games.
15.71% (11 votes)
Good thing I can buy multiple consoles.
18.57% (13 votes)
I don't think this situation will come up.
27.14% (19 votes)
(Other)
7.14% (5 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Let's face it, Xbox One's not the overall fan favorite console, nor is it the most powerful, nor is it the easiest to develop for. It has the most subscription paywalls of the consoles, and is the most expensive (despite being weaker than a less expensive console... :/).

Yet despite this, look at all the exclusive new games/series for it. Crimson Dragon, Killer Instinct, Ryse, Titanfall, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, D4, etc. They even degraded the Dead Rising series from multiplat to singleplat. The competing consoles' exclusive AAA lineup variety pales in comparison.

What else could be drawing all these devs to Xbox One, if not money?

It feels at MS is getting away with cutting corners in their console development and making poor PR decisions simply because they have a financial advantage over the competitors; that they might get the greatest library of games not because their console has the most merit, but because they can afford to pay the most third-parties off.

There's nothing wrong with this from a business standpoint, and Sony/Nintendo would do the same thing if their wallets and budgeting plans permitted it, but I don't think it's good for the gamer in the least. Which brings me to the poll question.
---
Throwback Mode 4 Lyfe
#2orestes1981Posted 11/8/2013 11:28:01 PM
Xbox One isn't winning 3rd Party support right now. As weak console sales and weak software sales hamper the XBO, this thread will quickly become known as nothing but a joke thread.
---
Cappin' thine enemy is not exactly something Jesus would do, it's what Suge Knight would do.
-Bill Maher
#3NeoMonkPosted 11/8/2013 11:28:04 PM
More than half of the game you mention they're paying to develop... nuff said.
---
"The Xbox One board isn't the place for personal anecdotes, joke topics or fanboy affair." Gamefaqs Moderator
#4Jstretch19Posted 11/8/2013 11:33:45 PM(edited)
Xbox One is winning the third-party support war?

And anyway both console's lineups are **** so...
#5DK DeathKnightPosted 11/8/2013 11:46:37 PM(edited)
It has more games because Microsoft decided to focus all their efforts for the launch of the XB1 and the games that could have been made for 360 was pushed to launch with the XB1 instead making some incomplete. Talk about blowing your load too soon and ignoring your current WAY MORE ABUNDANT fanbase on the 360. 360 owners are probably asking themselves, "what the hell happened to all our exclusives and first party support"? The 360 was simply abandoned in favour of the XB1, they didnt even want to bother sending it off with a good swan song, but with a tiny violin.

The 360 is on life support, the XB1 lineup after launch window is extremely thin, and developers will probably spend less time making XB1 in the future due to weaker hardware and less game support. Respawn will realize that the money is no longer worth it, if they cant have the freedom, like Bungie did. But hey at least you got those great launch games, the ones that ultimately are more like test software for new hardware, bravo. Its the only area where Microsoft hasent screwed their fanbase, XB1 launch games, and even that is debatable to others.
---
PSN: SkyDivider / SC2: Takeuchi (729)
Playing: Nothing, waiting for PS4.
#6teehee23Posted 11/8/2013 11:44:47 PM
Microsoft has dedicated a BILLION dollars for the bestest exclusives and 3rd party developers know that the Xbox brand has the highest selling software attach rate this gen, by far.

Xbox #1 has won so much 3rd party support because developers know that's where the money is.

We're satisfied and very pleased.
---
I don't deserve to be so happy. :)
#7Izec(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2013 12:02:25 AM
teehee23 posted...
Microsoft has dedicated a BILLION dollars for the bestest exclusives and 3rd party developers know that the Xbox brand has the highest selling software attach rate this gen, by far.

Xbox #1 has won so much 3rd party support because developers know that's where the money is.

MS is certainly where the money's at.

But that's on a short-term basis as opposed to a long-term one. Can any dev say with a straight face that their games will sell more copies/generate more profit as Xbone exclusives than they would if they were released multiplat? That's just ridiculous, development costs for at least the PS4 are probably very low given the thing's power and simplicity, it even has more preorders than Xbone, they'd lose basically nothing going multiplat while they'd have everything to gain.

I think these fledgling new series would've had a better shot at generating a fanbase if available to as many platforms as reasonable. But it seems like the devs took the safe way out by accepting guaranteed MS money over the risky expectation of multiplat money; if their games bomb with consumers they still got paid anyway after all.
---
Throwback Mode 4 Lyfe
#8Izec(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2013 12:16:34 AM
NeoMonk posted...
More than half of the game you mention they're paying to develop... nuff said.

They are indeed publishing those games, but I doubt they were literally the only publisher on the market for those devs to go to. Probably just the highest bidder.

DK DeathKnight posted...
It has more games because Microsoft decided to focus all their efforts for the launch of the XB1 and the games that could have been made for 360 was pushed to launch with the XB1 instead making some incomplete. Talk about blowing your load too soon and ignoring your current WAY MORE ABUNDANT fanbase on the 360. 360 owners are probably asking themselves, "what the hell happened to all our exclusives and first party support"? The 360 was simply abandoned in favour of the XB1, they didnt even want to bother sending it off with a good swan song, but with a tiny violin.

Hmm, I didn't know that. Good point I suppose.

DK DeathKnight posted...
The 360 is on life support, the XB1 lineup after launch window is extremely thin, and developers will probably spend less time making XB1 in the future due to weaker hardware and less game support. Respawn will realize that the money is no longer worth it, if they cant have the freedom, like Bungie did. But hey at least you got those great launch games, the ones that ultimately are more like test software for new hardware, bravo. Its the only area where Microsoft hasent screwed their fanbase, XB1 launch games, and even that is debatable to others.

Ouch.
---
Throwback Mode 4 Lyfe
#9teehee23Posted 11/9/2013 12:17:22 AM
Izec posted...
teehee23 posted...

But that's on a short-term basis as opposed to a long-term one. Can any dev say with a straight face that their games will sell more copies/generate more profit as Xbone exclusives than they would if they were released multiplat? That's just ridiculous, development costs for at least the PS4 are probably very low given the thing's power and simplicity, it even has more preorders than Xbone, they'd lose basically nothing going multiplat while they'd have everything to gain.

I think these fledgling new series would've had a better shot at generating a fanbase if available to as many platforms as reasonable. But it seems like the devs took the safe way out by accepting guaranteed MS money over the risky expectation of multiplat money; if their games bomb with consumers they still got paid anyway after all.

I'm too tired to know if I agree with that but I have every confidence that Microsoft will bring the bestest games to Xbox #1.
Look at their track record:

bought Rare for 375 million
spent over a BILLION developing the XBLive network
created new franchises with Halo, Forza, Fable, MechAssault, Project Gotham Racing, Blinx, Alan Wake, and many other games (Brute Force, Crimson Skies, Blood Wake)
Commissioned Sakaguchii for 2 exclusive rpg's (Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey)
Developed Kinect, which will really shine with 2.0 on Xbox #1

Microsoft has outspent the competition hand over feets creating and funding so many games.
There's a great selection of Microsoft published digital only games on XBLA that most trolls pretend don't exist.

Microsoft will be even more aggressive with Xbox #1 and the proof is already there with Metal Gear 5, Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy XV, and Sunset Overdrive.

This gen is going to be the mostest fun... if you have Xbox #1.
---
I don't deserve to be so happy. :)
#10SabramPosted 11/11/2013 2:50:05 AM
teehee23 posted...
Izec posted...
teehee23 posted...

I'm too tired to know if I agree with that but I have every confidence that Microsoft will bring the bestest games to Xbox #1.
Look at their track record:

bought Rare for 375 million
spent over a BILLION developing the XBLive network
created new franchises with Halo, Forza, Fable, MechAssault, Project Gotham Racing, Blinx, Alan Wake, and many other games (Brute Force, Crimson Skies, Blood Wake)
Commissioned Sakaguchii for 2 exclusive rpg's (Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey)
Developed Kinect, which will really shine with 2.0 on Xbox #1

Microsoft has outspent the competition hand over feets creating and funding so many games.
There's a great selection of Microsoft published digital only games on XBLA that most trolls pretend don't exist.

Microsoft will be even more aggressive with Xbox #1 and the proof is already there with Metal Gear 5, Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy XV, and Sunset Overdrive.

This gen is going to be the mostest fun... if you have Xbox #1.

Yep, they've spent a toooon of money on these games. It's gotten them to the point that a lot of shareholders in Microsoft want the company to sell of the Xbox division, as it has not actually recouped a single dollar of the investment, and is in the red.

Sure the 360 overall made a profit on itself, but there was a lot of money lost on the first Xbox that was never recovered, and it will take a long time for the Xbone to gain any profit on itself at all, if it ever does. MS is already nearly 2billion down on the system without a single one sold yet.

It isnt looking good over the next 5 years for the future of Xbox.

As a counter argument, it isnt looking so hot at Sony right now either. However the PS4 is going to be a very hot item. The Vita will pick up sales as a companion to the PS4 and will very likely actually end up with a lot more support than it has now. The VitaTV sales, which is a very popular thing in Japan, will be lumped in with normal Vita console sales to make the numbers look better, and why not, it does nearly all the same things, just uses your TV instead of its own screen.

The future is good for Sony's game division right now. They still need to dump the cellular and TV parts of the business though, they're serious money sinks.
---
Official Switch Lightsword & Bowshieldgun of the MH3U Board.
Gamertag: Sabram PSN: Sabram