Kinect Fitness Evolved with CORTANA for Xbox One

#1TerraUniversePosted 11/9/2013 2:00:46 PM
Kinect Fitness Evolved with Cortana, the latest Xbox One game featuring Cortana from the Halo series. Get ready to workout with Cortana as your coach, and afterwards play multiplayer with Kinect-only shooting mechanics.

There will be grunts, jackals and Brutes working out in the background alongside you as you move your body. Plus, there's a dancing tutorial as well with moves like the plasma grenade swing and the Flood popcorn wiggle.

Would you buy this game?
#2Jason_HudsonPosted 11/9/2013 2:11:13 PM
Probably not. The problem with these fitness games is that they barely help people lose weight. The MET level of the exercises on Wii Fit (which is the experience I have of fitness games, came free with the Wii) is so low that it barely passes as a light intensity activity. You'd need to be doing it for ages for it to have any real impact. In their defence, there's not really a lot you can do without moving (i.e. running) or the aid of an exercise machine.

So in short, I think they're a waste of time and that's why I wouldn't buy one.
---
Thank you for saving gaming and for giving us Steam, Gabe Newell
#3scoobydoobydontPosted 11/9/2013 3:00:06 PM
Wii Fit is a horribly unfair way of measuring the effectiveness of Kinect fitness games. They work entirely differently, with entirely different accuracy. Wii Fit is a glorified party game. Nike or Your Shape are pretty great.
---
"I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." - Charles Bukowski
#4TerraUniverse(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2013 9:04:58 PM
Jason_Hudson posted...
Probably not. The problem with these fitness games is that they barely help people lose weight. The MET level of the exercises on Wii Fit (which is the experience I have of fitness games, came free with the Wii) is so low that it barely passes as a light intensity activity. You'd need to be doing it for ages for it to have any real impact. In their defence, there's not really a lot you can do without moving (i.e. running) or the aid of an exercise machine.

So in short, I think they're a waste of time and that's why I wouldn't buy one.

It is interesting, but some of the dancing games can get you moving.

I think one of the appeals of these fitness games, especially on the Kinect is the interface itself and the visuals and the whole motion-sensing technology. Somehow the Kinect provides an environment that makes the fitness experience unique enough that people find it entertaining and may enjoy working out with it. I'm not sure about the efficacy of fitness games, but I know that dancing games can be enjoyable with the colorful graphics and the visual of the person being tracked by the sensor.

What I was getting at with this post, is how Microsoft needs to add a little more "fun" to their more serious Kinect titles. Using Cortana, for instance, might be something that would appeal to regular people and to Halo fans. It creates a synergy between the established franchise that is Halo and the burgeoning fitness program that Microsoft may want to popularize. Either that, or create some other compelling reason for people to want to play.
#5TerraUniverse(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2013 11:52:42 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...
Wii Fit is a horribly unfair way of measuring the effectiveness of Kinect fitness games. They work entirely differently, with entirely different accuracy. Wii Fit is a glorified party game. Nike or Your Shape are pretty great.

Yeah, not only does the sensor detect the person well, but the graphics/music have good production values in a lot of the Kinect games. They're very colorful and have festive backgrounds and menu layouts.

I guess, the other thing is that with the Wii games, the player has to be responsible with following the moves correctly, whereas the Kinect allows you to see more closely what it is that you're doing and the Kinect also tracks you.