Anyone else let down by the controller?

#1Tomcat94Posted 11/9/2013 5:46:54 PM
I just visited my local Microsoft store and played the demo unit. Played both forza and killer instinct. However, I was a tad let down by my experience. The controller felt nice, but the bumpers were tough to push down, and it felt cheaper than the 360 controller. It preformed well, but having used the DS4 for the past week on my PS3, I believe the DS4 is superior, and I am a huge fan of the 360 controller. Anyone else have a similar experience?
#2PsychoGatesPosted 11/9/2013 6:06:51 PM
nope i loved it
#3dutch2099Posted 11/9/2013 6:07:01 PM
It's my understanding that M$ fixed something that was broken (the D-pad), and then went and broke something that worked fine (The bumpers). The 360 bumpers were great, low profile, out of the way, and very little travel so when you hit them you knew they were going to register a button press. They never addressed the D-pad issue for the 360 though, so I'm not holding my breath that they'll do anything to fix the Bone's bumpers
---
To quote a famous philosopher, "it". That is all
#4eAsymAc187Posted 11/9/2013 6:09:35 PM
Tomcat94 posted...
I just visited my local Microsoft store and played the demo unit. Played both forza and killer instinct. However, I was a tad let down by my experience. The controller felt nice, but the bumpers were tough to push down, and it felt cheaper than the 360 controller. It preformed well, but having used the DS4 for the past week on my PS3, I believe the DS4 is superior, and I am a huge fan of the 360 controller. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Dude, the bumpers are so sensitive idk what you're talking about.
Your controller must have been jacked up.
#5dutch2099Posted 11/9/2013 6:12:06 PM
dutch2099 posted...
It's my understanding that M$ fixed something that was broken (the D-pad), and then went and broke something that worked fine (The bumpers). The 360 bumpers were great, low profile, out of the way, and very little travel so when you hit them you knew they were going to register a button press. They never addressed the D-pad issue for the 360 though, so I'm not holding my breath that they'll do anything to fix the Bone's bumpers

I should probably extrapolate on my point. I have big hands, nobodies fault, but I have them (thanks dad), and my index fingers travel towards the centre of the controller. The problem is that the bumpers are meant to be pressed on the outside half of the button so my finger is too far in and the button press doesn't feel as tight as it should. The only other option is to hold the controller on the very tips of my fingers which obviously just won't work. I might see if I can rip the controller apart and come up with something a little more mechanically feasible, but M$ should have just left the things the way they were.
---
#6BbrendoshiPosted 11/9/2013 6:14:24 PM
dutch2099 posted...

They actually brought out a new series of pads with different Dpads. They sat like a more traditional one, and if you're weird they even have the option of switching it back to the 360 version.

I mean, it took them like 5 years, but they /did/ bring out new ones. I think they started with the chrome series? (correct me if I'm wrong, those are the first I saw though)

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2010/11/13/xbox-360-transforming-d-pad-controller-review

So, hopefully they'll address the issue people are having with the bumpers. I've not given it a go yet, but am seriously looking forward to it.
---
Gamertag/PSN/Steam: Sakori
#7dutch2099Posted 11/9/2013 6:18:32 PM
Bbrendoshi posted...
dutch2099 posted...

They actually brought out a new series of pads with different Dpads. They sat like a more traditional one, and if you're weird they even have the option of switching it back to the 360 version.

I mean, it took them like 5 years, but they /did/ bring out new ones. I think they started with the chrome series? (correct me if I'm wrong, those are the first I saw though)

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2010/11/13/xbox-360-transforming-d-pad-controller-review

So, hopefully they'll address the issue people are having with the bumpers. I've not given it a go yet, but am seriously looking forward to it.

Really? I thought when they redesigned the system they would have made them pack ins, like the OG xbox "Duke" vs the sleeker "S". Guess I'll have to get my head out of my *** and poke around for one, thanks.
---
#8popsurfPosted 11/9/2013 7:24:28 PM
Just did the same thing couple of hours ago.. demos and the controller made me less excited for the 22nd.. I played a crappy indie game on the ps4 and thought their new controller felt great. Still going with xbone though, gonna take some getting used to.. sigh..
---
XBL: surfpunk182
#9Tomcat94(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2013 8:06:12 PM
Yeah, it was just a tad underwhelming. But yeah, I'll still pick one up when halo launches. Until then, no dice.
#10benjimainPosted 11/9/2013 8:10:46 PM
Yeah the controller quality really regressed from the 360's, whereas the PS4's quality is infinitely superior to the PS3's and is even ahead of the 360's now.