Will the Xbox One be the next Dreamcast?

#21jamsch1978Posted 11/10/2013 1:35:46 PM
I'm going to go with no because the Dreamcast was cutting edge... not cutting edges
#22jo8n3645Posted 11/10/2013 5:53:20 PM
sony trolls sure are gobbling this thread up
#23PutHaggarInSFPosted 11/10/2013 5:57:02 PM
Hope so, loved my DC.
---
http://i.imgur.com/wiAJ9.jpg
http://last.fm/user/AnathemaOfZos Gamertag: aGeorgeDivided
#24exe67Posted 11/10/2013 6:05:34 PM
Probably going to regret jumping into this one...

The main reason the dreamcast/Sega failed is because 1) Sega was BROKE and because 2) they butchered their relationship with 3rd parties. Microsoft/Xbox has 1) a pretty much limitless supply of funds and 2) enormous 3rd party support.

Should the Xbox One fail (and anybody that actually thinks it will is delusional, btw), it will not be for the same reasons as the dreamcast. It'll be for some other reason.

*ducks head*
---
White 2 friend code: 4943 3353 4067
#25Mr_Big_BossPosted 11/10/2013 6:56:46 PM
The two consoles do suffer from terrible corporate management.
---
the end of one nightmare, prelude to the another...
#26RakesusPosted 11/10/2013 8:30:02 PM
exe67 posted...
Probably going to regret jumping into this one...

The main reason the dreamcast/Sega failed is because 1) Sega was BROKE and because 2) they butchered their relationship with 3rd parties. Microsoft/Xbox has 1) a pretty much limitless supply of funds and 2) enormous 3rd party support.

Should the Xbox One fail (and anybody that actually thinks it will is delusional, btw), it will not be for the same reasons as the dreamcast. It'll be for some other reason.

*ducks head*

1) Microsoft isn't doing so incredibly hot either. They still have their massive software sales, but they are STILL fighting tooth and nail to get Windows 8 accepted as better than 7, they have little presence in the handhelds market (I have a Windows Phone, and I have a good handful of friends that have one, but the vast majority of people I know are either Android or IPhone based), and the xbone really isn't shaping up to be an incredibly profitable venture.

2) Microsoft has ticked off a huge number of 3rd party indi developers with their new marketplace. The Xbox 360 (this one gets proper capitalization 'cause it earned it) was a great platform for less-than-multimillion-dollar games to proliferate. I've heard nothing good about the xbone's setup.

Continuing off of 2), one of the reasons the 360 had a better reputation with 3rd parties is because it was easier to develop for. The PS4 has dropped the cell architecture that made the PS3 problematic, and it's unlikely that developers are going to hold back from a good selling relationship with Sony.

I doubt that the xbone will fail at launch, and I suspect that it will be around for the entirety of its generation. I don't know if Microsoft will bother with another console though. Computers are getting faster and stronger at too rapid a pace for separate gaming consoles to stay terribly viable for too much longer. At this point, it's really just the paradigm that "consoles aren't computers, and have to be treated differently" that's keeping Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft's gaming divisions in business.

Right now, a Surface Pro is not so much weaker than the xbone as to make it unrealistic that you'll be playing CoD on a tablet in full 1080p/60fps/hires in a few years. Will that ever happen? Maybe not; but I think the era of "separate consoles, separate computers" is drawing to a rapid close.
---
Back from the dead.... or maybe just Tokyo.
#27ssjgohhkuPosted 11/14/2013 12:57:07 PM
It's the next Virtua Boy.