Article: Microsoft's Moneyhatting Exclusives

#101catzrul2002Posted 11/11/2013 2:38:14 PM
Soo much wrong with this thread...

Anyway, I see a lot of Xbox fans using Halo as the example of a bestselling exclusive compared to Sonys IPs, well it's not difficult when it's the ONLY worthwhile exclusive on the Xbox.

Sony has dozens of amazing exclusives, you cannot expect them to all sell extremely well when there is soo many of them with variety that caters to different genres.

I understand that sounds a bit fanboyish, but the same can be said with Nintendo, a single game cannot sell well if it's in competition with other Nintendo IPs.
---
Fingers crossed for Sony to enable PSN name change!!
#102cpcjlc3Posted 11/11/2013 2:47:31 PM
Viper187666 posted...
Microsoft Studios head honcho Phil Spencer recently mentioned to OXM that a console manufacturer doesn't need its own studios to create excellent games.

Buying != Creating

They need to quit locking down things that could've and should've been multi-platform.

I love this argument.

If Sony was "for the gamer" then they would have no exclusives because they wouldn't want any gamer no matter which system they played to have a chance to miss a game. See how that argument can work both ways?

Get over the butthurt people. The purpose of a exclusive is to create a competitive advantage. Sony and Microsoft just have different business models on how to go about creating that advantage.

And besides, since you fanboys found a new buzzword with moneyhatting I'll throw something out there. The only thing Sony is able to put in a hat right now are I.O.U's

(If you are not a fanboy then the second half of the post does not apply to you so enjoy your day)
#103crucialPosted 11/11/2013 2:51:36 PM
Sony did the same thing with PS2,FF,KH,MGS I could go on and on,but now that MS has the money to do this and now that MS does it there the worst and are only out for profit,I mean in this day and age a AAA company is all about profit,why can't MS just be like Sony LMAO.

They have a better line up for the next 2 years,bringing us new IPs,sequels and 3rd party exclusives but they are not about game's,ya ok.
#104YeomanlyPosted 11/11/2013 2:52:07 PM
If people actually took the time to count the number of titles, both AAA to Indies, they would see..

Sony moneyhatted a lot more timed exclusives, exclusive than Microsoft.

BUT because people want to play DR3 or Titanfall it's Microsoft that are evil.
#105BoxTheMuppetPosted 11/11/2013 2:52:27 PM
jasten posted...
BoxTheMuppet posted...
Viper187666 posted...
Microsoft Studios head honcho Phil Spencer recently mentioned to OXM that a console manufacturer doesn't need its own studios to create excellent games.

Buying != Creating

They need to quit locking down things that could've and should've been multi-platform.

Why? It's a smart strategy from a business perspective. Why let the competition get a game if you have the money to block them?

You can't complain about how one company gets exclusives over another. It's like gamers want it to be communist where everyone gets the same games.

If only you people were this passionate about stuff that really matters.

As seen this gen, buying exclusives only works for so long. The Xbox has had such a bad drought of exclusive titles because the only way they really could was to buy them and not create them. It's weird looking at the beginning of the gen and seeing quality exclusives that pumped you up... only to realise most of them are now on all platforms. Fable really hasn't made noise in years, Halo is questionable after the dud that was 4 (acceptance wise not sale wise), Forza has never been a go to title, and Gears is in the same boat as Halo... except that it might not even be exclusive with a next title.

MS should spend more time building in house studioes to put out quality titles and less money buying up 3rd party exclusives that might not remain exclusive. It would be amazing to actually have two consoles putting out quality first party exclusives that haven't been stale rehashes for 15 years. Yes Nintendo, I'm still pissed at you for resting on your damn laurels.... what the hell happened to you...

Nintendo just depresses me. I got burned by getting a wii and I'm never going back.
---
#1 at absolutely nothing!
#106HENTAIDOJIPosted 11/11/2013 3:04:31 PM
As seen this gen, buying exclusives only works for so long. The Xbox has had such a bad drought of exclusive titles because the only way they really could was to buy them and not create them. It's weird looking at the beginning of the gen and seeing quality exclusives that pumped you up... only to realise most of them are now on all platforms. Fable really hasn't made noise in years, Halo is questionable after the dud that was 4 (acceptance wise not sale wise), Forza has never been a go to title, and Gears is in the same boat as Halo... except that it might not even be exclusive with a next title.

Its worth pointing out that Uncharted 3, LBP2, GT5, Infamous 2, Killzone 3, god of war ascension. Socom 4, Motorstorm Apolcalypse, Resistance 3 were also duds by comparison to their immediate predecessors reception.

Don't pretend this is only Microsofts problem.

MS should spend more time building in house studioes to put out quality titles and less money buying up 3rd party exclusives that might not remain exclusive.

Theres no reason to favour either less than the other. Why should they limit themselves to only whats built internally? If they did that there'd be no Alan Wake, Dance Central, Gears of War, Forza horizon, PGR, Crackdown.
---
http://nopybot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hentai-demotivational1.jpg
#107jastenPosted 11/11/2013 3:56:36 PM
HENTAIDOJI posted...

Its worth pointing out that Uncharted 3, LBP2, GT5, Infamous 2, Killzone 3, god of war ascension. Socom 4, Motorstorm Apolcalypse, Resistance 3 were also duds by comparison to their immediate predecessors reception.

Don't pretend this is only Microsofts problem.

MS should spend more time building in house studioes to put out quality titles and less money buying up 3rd party exclusives that might not remain exclusive.

Theres no reason to favour either less than the other. Why should they limit themselves to only whats built internally? If they did that there'd be no Alan Wake, Dance Central, Gears of War, Forza horizon, PGR, Crackdown.

Infamous 2 and LBP2 aren't looked at as inferior around most fans I've spoken to. And I'd give you that some of hte latest sequels didn't live up to the predecessor.. but surprise, ND came out with one of the best recieved titles this year, Killzone and Infamous for the PS4 have some amazing hype (hopefully they deliver) and there is a high likelyhood of more quality games coming down the pipeline. With MS exclusives you have franchises that haven't wowed with their last titles and, outside of purchased publishing rights, there is nothing coming in the pipeline internally that even begins to hint that they will be that well recieved.

It's a matter of track record for the 360... while Sony has shown they can not only produce franchises, but new IPs that are well recieved, MS has not. It would be great if MS had internal devs anywhere near Sony's quality. Who wouldn't want that?
---
We are not merely the sum of our parts
#108IroncondorzPosted 11/11/2013 5:15:41 PM
If we were to gather every single person in the world capable of creating a video game and put them in one place making games, if any of them were to work on an "exclusive" game then that is one less multiplatform game capable of being made. It doesn't matter if Company A pays those people as their own employees or if those people work for Company B and is paid by Company C. Their talent is still taken away from the talent pool to make said exclusive game.

Development studios don't even do all of their own work, 1st party or not. Do you think every developer creates their own game engines, development tools, netcode, codecs, etc...? People act like developers are writing every single line of code in their games themselves. Heck you don't even have to mention things like the Unreal Engine, plenty of studios flat out outsource tons of work on their games.

Pay attention to the credits or boot up splash screens every once in a while.
#109HENTAIDOJIPosted 11/11/2013 5:40:37 PM
And I'd give you that some of hte latest sequels didn't live up to the predecessor.. but surprise, ND came out with one of the best recieved titles this year

And will the sequel be received better or worse. If its worse that makes it a dud right? That doesn't excuse the other games either.

Killzone and Infamous for the PS4 have some amazing hype (hopefully they deliver) and there is a high likelyhood of more quality games coming down the pipeline.

But we already know inFAMOUS and Killzone sequels get worse.

With MS exclusives you have franchises that haven't wowed with their last titles and, outside of purchased publishing rights, there is nothing coming in the pipeline internally that even begins to hint that they will be that well recieved.

What internally developed PS4 title is due to be well received? Since we know the sequels get worst that leaves Knack and Driveclub. Nuffsed.
---
http://nopybot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hentai-demotivational1.jpg
#110GuardianShadow0Posted 11/11/2013 9:06:31 PM
HENTAIDOJI posted...

Killzone and Infamous for the PS4 have some amazing hype (hopefully they deliver) and there is a high likelyhood of more quality games coming down the pipeline.

But we already know inFAMOUS and Killzone sequels get worse.

I can't talk about KZ or some other first party titles, but Infamous 2 was much better than the first one in pretty much every way except the story. God of War: Ascension was complete garbage though, I'll give you that.
---
Killer of Topics
Flying Safari(Pidgey, Swanna, something) 4940-5557-6527 PM me if you add me.