Xbox One Resolution gate 2.0 really bothers me...

#91tadmfpolePosted 11/12/2013 4:38:05 AM
Killzone and Halo are exclusive titles and completely different games. The majority of titles will be multiplatform.
---
my current game collection
http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/tadmfpole/games/owned
#92FenriswolfPosted 11/12/2013 4:46:35 AM
Multiplatform development, especially launch games, is not an indicator of a console's capabilities, and considering that PS3's COD games were far worse in resolutions and turned out great looking games like Uncharted and Killzone nevertheless, they're far better indicators, sorry.
---
Hello
#93FriedLemonPosted 11/12/2013 6:08:19 AM(edited)
iamdanthaman posted...
FriedLemon posted...
iamdanthaman posted...
The thing is that people see the disparity in resolution and/or framerate and assume that the one that has the higher resolution and/or framerate will be the better looking version, or that it means that the system running at a higher resolution and/or framerate is the more powerful system when that may not be the case. We do not know the differences between the two games, and we will not until people actually get their hands on them.

It could be that Sony told activision that the game had to be 1080p/60 and MS told them to make the game look as good as they can regardless of resolution, so they downgraded textures/lighting and character models on the PS4 version in order to get to 1080p, while on the xbox one they kept all those things as high as possible while keeping the resolution at 720p.

We do not know any of these things, nor will we, unless IW/Activision comes out with the exact reasons for the disparity in the resolutions between the two consoles.

They have already came out with the reasons for the disparity and apparently it's just that, a flat out power difference in the memory.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-04-xbox-one-resolutiongate-call-of-duty-ghosts-dev-infinity-ward-responds

OK, either you didn't read a word of that article, or you didn't understand a word of it, because that is not what he said at all. He actually said that he fully expected the next COD to run at 1080p/60 on xbox one, and that the reason why this one had problems is that the system resources weren't allocated in the way they expected them to be, and they didn't have time to optimize the code before release, but with the next game, built from the ground up for the xbox one's final hardware and software wouldn't have the same problems.

No I understand completely, it IS a power difference if MS reserved the memory for the OS.

Furthermore, they stated they need more time to optimise the CoD engine for the X1 to even have a possibility to get it up to 1080/60. What would happen if they spent their time optimising the CoD engine for the PS4 instead when it can already do 1080/60?

Face it, the power difference exists and it's quite apparent when both BF4 and CoD are superior on the PS4.

Edit: Also, he did not say anywhere he "fully expects" the next CoD to run in 1080/60, he says it's a possibility.

It's very possible we can get it to native 1080p. I mean I've seen it working at 1080p native. It's just we couldn't get the frame rate in the neighbourhood we wanted it to be.

And it wasn't a lack of effort. It wasn't that it was like last minute. We had the theoretical hardware for a long time.
#94yutterhPosted 11/13/2013 10:14:39 AM
SneakiestNeg posted...
Its all about the games? Tell that to Microsoft. Its about cable and kinect. Dont watch cable anymore since netflix and crunchyroll. Dont give a f about kinect. Want a game console get a ps4.

LOL LOL LOL those are the only things I watch now too.
---
Good news everyone! - Hubert Farnsworth
What do you mean "we", flesh-tube? - bender
#95Ironman06Posted 11/13/2013 10:39:44 AM
AwayFromHere posted...
tokenblackguy23 posted...

No Im basing my opinion on Ryse being downgraded, AC IV not being true native 1080p, BF4 running in 720p and now COD 4 confirmed to be running in 720p the exact same resolution as the Xbox 360 I currently own. So what exactly am I getting for $500 bucks?

Well, since you seem to be so against it, how about nothing? Don't buy it, problem solved.

I didn't know you didn't have to buy it... mind = blown