The Original XBox forced people to use broadband for Xbox Live

#1TheDuckInPondPosted 11/11/2013 10:12:24 AM
If you're an old fart like me, you'll remember all this hubub when they first announced this for Xbox Live. Now broadband connection is common place.

It seems like Microsoft likes to drag people kicking and screaming into the future. HINT HINT. I might be referring to the Kinect.
#2True_FoeHammerPosted 11/11/2013 10:19:08 AM
One was needed for technical reasons.

The other was needed for $$$ reasons.
#3MetroidFan9999Posted 11/11/2013 10:19:47 AM
Kinect is not a natural evolution, as broadband was to dial up for internet connectivity. It's an alternative control mechanism that depends entirely on itself and software developed for it to be successful.
---
Xbox One = Xbone = Crossbone = Jolly Roger.
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mind_blown.gif
#4TheDuckInPond(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 10:30:09 AM
True_FoeHammer posted...
One was needed for technical reasons.

The other was needed for $$$ reasons.

The Kinect is also there for technical reasons..
#5True_FoeHammerPosted 11/11/2013 10:31:36 AM
So the Kinect is required for the X1 to work properly? And I don't mean for features tailored to the Kinect, I mean is required for the console to function.
#6MRL3G3NDPosted 11/11/2013 10:37:14 AM
lol I remember that lol
I joined XBL October 31st 2002
I remember Bill Gates saying that refrigerators will be connected via broadband...he was right

But TC...

the highspeed internet is actually useful for other things besides gaming.

I have no doubt that motion gaming is part of the future...but in it's current state...it's garbage...

Maybe it needs to hibernate for a couple of decades like virtual reality

The oculus rift looks more exciting than next gen
---
The Closest You'll Ever Come to Afghanistan in Gaming...
http://youtu.be/GIhqUiQJt6Q
#7djrudenPosted 11/11/2013 10:37:23 AM
The kinect is NOT required and I guarantee we will see a SKU offered without Kinect in a matter of a year or so. The kinect is only there now so xbone beta testers are forced to buy it along with the console and create some false attach rate for it.
#8TheDuckInPond(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 10:37:37 AM
True_FoeHammer posted...
So the Kinect is required for the X1 to work properly? And I don't mean for features tailored to the Kinect, I mean is required for the console to function.

Not necessarily.
However, when you "force" every Xbox One owner to have a Kinect, the install base for that console is 100%. Which means that it gives more incentive for developers to create bigger and better games for the device. Thus garnering it more appeal. It seems stupid, but it is a good effort to prevent it from just dying.

Why do you think nobody created/es games for the PSEye?
#9Reflex-ArcPosted 11/11/2013 10:41:25 AM
“People don't know what they want until you show it to them.”

-Steve Jobs
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#10googlerPosted 11/11/2013 10:45:31 AM
TheDuckInPond posted...
If you're an old fart like me, you'll remember all this hubub when they first announced this for Xbox Live. Now broadband connection is common place.

It seems like Microsoft likes to drag people kicking and screaming into the future. HINT HINT. I might be referring to the Kinect.

your argument is tantamount to someone being forced to pay $10 extra for milk because it comes packaged with mandatory maxipads you don't want or need.
I had a Kinect and I quickly stopped giving a **** about it. I just plain dont give a damn about it and it does absolutely nothing to improve the games I like to play