The Original XBox forced people to use broadband for Xbox Live

#11TheDuckInPond(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 11:46:40 AM
googler posted...
TheDuckInPond posted...
If you're an old fart like me, you'll remember all this hubub when they first announced this for Xbox Live. Now broadband connection is common place.

It seems like Microsoft likes to drag people kicking and screaming into the future. HINT HINT. I might be referring to the Kinect.

your argument is tantamount to someone being forced to pay $10 extra for milk because it comes packaged with mandatory maxipads you don't want or need.
I had a Kinect and I quickly stopped giving a **** about it. I just plain dont give a damn about it and it does absolutely nothing to improve the games I like to play

So what you're saying is that I can use the Kinect to help with my menstrual cycle?
#12TheDuckInPond(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 3:30:47 PM
Totally shameless bump
#13Viper187666Posted 11/11/2013 5:03:30 PM
googler posted...
TheDuckInPond posted...
If you're an old fart like me, you'll remember all this hubub when they first announced this for Xbox Live. Now broadband connection is common place.

It seems like Microsoft likes to drag people kicking and screaming into the future. HINT HINT. I might be referring to the Kinect.

your argument is tantamount to someone being forced to pay $10 extra for milk because it comes packaged with mandatory maxipads you don't want or need.
I had a Kinect and I quickly stopped giving a **** about it. I just plain dont give a damn about it and it does absolutely nothing to improve the games I like to play

and that's the bottom line. Unfortunately, the fanboys will never admit it's possible to enjoy the XB1 without Kinect.
---
I refuse to buy XB1 until it's sold without Kinect. No, I'm not a Sony fanboy. See? http://viper.shadowflareindustries.com/images/myroom/DSCN0220.JPG
#14googlerPosted 11/11/2013 9:24:44 PM
TheDuckInPond posted...
googler posted...
TheDuckInPond posted...

So what you're saying is that I can use the Kinect to help with my menstrual cycle?

except that after buying a kinect you'd wish you were really bleeding out of a hole in your head instead from wanting to shoot yourself
#15Cowboy082288Posted 11/11/2013 9:40:26 PM
Reflex-Arc posted...
“People don't know what they want until you show it to them.”

-Steve Jobs

Heh yep. Consumer joe may not like to hear this but there is a lot of truth to it. I remember many people saying how a tablet is just a crappy pc that can't do anything a pc can't already do. You don't hear that much anymore.

Most people, if you ask them what a new console should be like. They are just going to basically describe a better version of what they already have.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#16Viper187666Posted 11/11/2013 10:35:20 PM
Cowboy082288 posted...
Reflex-Arc posted...

-Steve Jobs

Heh yep. Consumer joe may not like to hear this but there is a lot of truth to it. I remember many people saying how a tablet is just a crappy pc that can't do anything a pc can't already do. You don't hear that much anymore.

Most people, if you ask them what a new console should be like. They are just going to basically describe a better version of what they already have.

I still say that about tablets. I use a real computer. If I need something small and portable, I'd get a laptop or a netbook. Proper PCs.
---
I refuse to buy XB1 until it's sold without Kinect. No, I'm not a Sony fanboy. See? http://viper.shadowflareindustries.com/images/myroom/DSCN0220.JPG
#17Thewinner14Posted 11/11/2013 10:38:46 PM
Cowboy082288 posted...
Reflex-Arc posted...

-Steve Jobs

The tablet/slate wasn't a new concept when the iPad came out, it had been tried previously and failed every single time. Some ideas just need the tech to mature, and needs their to be a critical mass of consumers willing to buy the product. Tablets built their success because of smartphones and their ubiquitousness. Also during the previous attempts at slates wifi was pretty much non-existant and cell phones didn't do data well at the time either, so putting a cell radio in one would have done zilch.

Set top boxes were another thing that was supposed to take off years ago, but that's still never materialized.
---
6 Bible translations, 1 app: http://www.jw.org/en/online-help/jw-library/
#18GotTruthPosted 11/11/2013 10:51:40 PM
TheDuckInPond posted...
True_FoeHammer posted...
So the Kinect is required for the X1 to work properly? And I don't mean for features tailored to the Kinect, I mean is required for the console to function.

Not necessarily.
However, when you "force" every Xbox One owner to have a Kinect, the install base for that console is 100%. Which means that it gives more incentive for developers to create bigger and better games for the device. Thus garnering it more appeal. It seems stupid, but it is a good effort to prevent it from just dying.

Why do you think nobody created/es games for the PSEye?

Because BOTH sucked.

REALLY sucked.

I laugh at the Kinect as a "controller". Get back to me when it works to play GAMES. I want to be able to control a Star Fleet like in Enders Game or Control a StarCraft/Warcraft style RTS like the way Tom Cruise moves around the screen in Minority Report. \

Untill it is capable of doing THAT, i'm not even REMOTELY interested in it. If it COULD do that a sweet Enders Game RTS(or one similar) game would be a launch title
---
You know they call it main-stream? Its because a stream is shallow.
GT: BuzzKillingt0n
#19Cowboy082288Posted 11/11/2013 11:00:27 PM
Thewinner14 posted...
Cowboy082288 posted...
Reflex-Arc posted...

-Steve Jobs

The tablet/slate wasn't a new concept when the iPad came out, it had been tried previously and failed every single time. Some ideas just need the tech to mature, and needs their to be a critical mass of consumers willing to buy the product. Tablets built their success because of smartphones and their ubiquitousness. Also during the previous attempts at slates wifi was pretty much non-existant and cell phones didn't do data well at the time either, so putting a cell radio in one would have done zilch.

Set top boxes were another thing that was supposed to take off years ago, but that's still never materialized.

I think you are over simplifying. Hardware does matter but just as important is software. The real reason iPods, iPhones, iPads took off is the software handling the hardware. Apple did not have access to technology that other companies didn't have. What they did though was integrate software to the hardware in a way the was very intuitive and funtional for users. Apple made many software innovations with all three of those devices.

Actually at a 'All things digital' conference where steve jobs and bill gates were interviewed together Jobs explains this aspect of Apple. Here is the interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw8x7ASpRIY

He says the secret of apple is that they are a software company.

I'm not trying to be a Apple 'fanboy' but there were some key things they did differently that took them from going bankrupt to the most valuable company in the world (well actually I think they switch back and forth on 1 & 2 with exxon, depending on the stock market changes).
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#20Alienware4LifePosted 11/11/2013 11:11:09 PM
I remember being at a party laughing how this broadband thing would fail because no one has it lol.
---
Check out my PC,360,ps3, Movie, Old School game vidoes http://www.youtube.com/user/EpicConspiracy?feature=mhee