Can someone Explain the Difference Between....

#11Kosmo240985Posted 11/11/2013 2:37:05 PM
MRL3G3ND posted...
WarNinja2012 posted...
The idea that the Kinect will spy on you, vs the idea that smartphones with a forward facing camera and gps do not.

do you have your phone trained on your living room/bedroom?

Is your phone programed to read biometric responses to your reaction to commercial ads?

ijs dude you need to read more before posting

bedroom yes, it charges in my room on a cradle. and i text WAY more personal info than the kinect can ever pick up. also almost all phones now have facial recognition software AND now apple has the fingerprint scanner.

laptops mostly have built in cameras and mics aswell.

there are many other things that can take your info....the worst being a cell phone.
---
GT: Kozzie85
#12PsychoGatesPosted 11/11/2013 2:38:50 PM
Kosmo240985 posted...
MRL3G3ND posted...
WarNinja2012 posted...
The idea that the Kinect will spy on you, vs the idea that smartphones with a forward facing camera and gps do not.

do you have your phone trained on your living room/bedroom?

Is your phone programed to read biometric responses to your reaction to commercial ads?

ijs dude you need to read more before posting

bedroom yes, it charges in my room on a cradle. and i text WAY more personal info than the kinect can ever pick up. also almost all phones now have facial recognition software AND now apple has the fingerprint scanner.

laptops mostly have built in cameras and mics aswell.

there are many other things that can take your info....the worst being a cell phone.

exactly, how is a stationary object more intrusive than a camera and mic in your pocket almost 24/7?
#13cpcjlc3Posted 11/11/2013 2:40:22 PM
WarNinja2012 posted...

Because if the fanboys admit this then it takes some of the punch out of the whole "kinect will spy on you" argument and then they will admit that they have a smartphone and try to explain that away while keeping the "kinect will spy on you" argument valid, which will be an epic fail.
#14Trigger99XPosted 11/11/2013 2:41:04 PM
WarNinja2012 posted...
To be fair I did ask you to explain to me. And no there is not difference. Microsoft and sony both know where you live, how gay you are, AND what your favorite cereal is. It's pointless to pretend they dont.

all they know is my email, they have no other info besides that and my real name, with a phone it my be a good camera but it's not the kinect 2 able to to see and hear clearly in a large crowd. there is a difference.
#15TreGoodaPosted 11/11/2013 2:44:25 PM
Trigger99X posted...
WarNinja2012 posted...
To be fair I did ask you to explain to me. And no there is not difference. Microsoft and sony both know where you live, how gay you are, AND what your favorite cereal is. It's pointless to pretend they dont.

all they know is my email, they have no other info besides that and my real name, with a phone it my be a good camera but it's not the kinect 2 able to to see and hear clearly in a large crowd. there is a difference.

You never use a search engine, a web browser, purchase anything online, go out in public, have a credit card?

Do you use gamefaqs? O wait, they have your info.

k thanks bye.
---
"Get a life! What? I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives."
#16Kosmo240985Posted 11/11/2013 2:46:25 PM
Trigger99X posted...
WarNinja2012 posted...

so you're telling me...that a camera in the living room, that the average consumer will utilize maybe 3-4 hours a day will get more personal information from your daily life while you are playing video games/watching tv than a cellphone that is so ingrained in the consumers life that most people cannot live without one and speak/text/video record/snap pictures of their lives that dont pertain to gaming?

do you even realize how dumb that sounds?
---
GT: Kozzie85
#17OgoginPosted 11/11/2013 2:52:33 PM
WarNinja2012 posted...

If your phone (or another tool) steal your informations that's most of the time a crime (outside of specific circumstances where it's legal, but are very limited inside of your own private space), and that mean you can defend yourself and the companies or privates will think twice and more before doing it (the punishment for privacy breakout is quite serious, at least in my country). Implemented in a way like Microsoft tried to do (before the many changes) was not only barely legal (enough to cover Microsoft's *** in a lawsuit) but way more intrusive and dangerous that a cellular would ever be (considered the number of circumstances a webcam at the center of your house can detect, against a tool that spend most of the time in your pocket or watching the ceiling).

And no, Microsoft and Sony doesn't know who you are, even less what you do. You have no idea how many people still use false identities for subscribe to e-mail and cyberlock services because they fear privacy leak-out, even less people want a company to gain the right to do so at their own discretion. Not much because the company would do it (chance are slim), but because that's against the very basic of human's rights, and as such must be defended against every negative chance that arise, so to not give in a 1st case to abuse in the future. The distance between giving a finger and lose a whole arm a moment later is always slim, in this cases.
---
sorry for bad English, it isn't my first language >.<
#18WarNinja2012(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 3:05:25 PM
Ogogin posted...
WarNinja2012 posted...

If your phone (or another tool) steal your informations that's most of the time a crime (outside of specific circumstances where it's legal, but are very limited inside of your own private space), and that mean you can defend yourself and the companies or privates will think twice and more before doing it (the punishment for privacy breakout is quite serious, at least in my country). Implemented in a way like Microsoft tried to do (before the many changes) was not only barely legal (enough to cover Microsoft's *** in a lawsuit) but way more intrusive and dangerous that a cellular would ever be (considered the number of circumstances a webcam at the center of your house can detect, against a tool that spend most of the time in your pocket or watching the ceiling).

And no, Microsoft and Sony doesn't know who you are, even less what you do. You have no idea how many people still use false identities for subscribe to e-mail and cyberlock services because they fear privacy leak-out, even less people want a company to gain the right to do so at their own discretion. Not much because the company would do it (chance are slim), but because that's against the very basic of human's rights, and as such must be defended against every negative chance that arise, so to not give in a 1st case to abuse in the future. The distance between giving a finger and lose a whole arm a moment later is always slim, in this cases.

All bill Gates wants to do is cure malaria in Africa. If his is the price we must pay. So be it. I cant believe you would be so selfish? All worried about your rights... What about the rights of Africans' to NOT HAVE MALARIA. Sheesh
#19OgoginPosted 11/11/2013 3:17:21 PM
TreGooda posted...
You never use a search engine, a web browser, purchase anything online, go out in public, have a credit card?

Do you use gamefaqs? O wait, they have your info.

There are many ways to operate in background without leave tracks, purchase online is optional (and theorically private... any abuse is seriously punished), going out in public give up on any privacy right (but it doesn't matter in ths contest), and just owning a credit card by itself mean nothing...

Same for gamefaqs, that barely have an e-mail as reference, eventually your IP and IMAC if you didn't protect them. E-mail that, in a case like mine doesn't even take to anything, since I created it with false personal info. Actually, gamefaqs itself will never reach that info since are taken private from our e-mail providers...

Actuallly, and this isi just a fun matter, even police and public forces of order have a hard time (mostly impossible) track your own tools if you lost them / they got stole, despite all the info they have the right to collect and the traces they leave. The chances that a 3rd party can use such quantity/quality of info against you are even more slim.

Kosmo240985 posted...
so you're telling me...that a camera in the living room, that the average consumer will utilize maybe 3-4 hours a day will get more personal information from your daily life while you are playing video games/watching tv than a cellphone that is so ingrained in the consumers life that most people cannot live without one and speak/text/video record/snap pictures of their lives that dont pertain to gaming?

Kinetic 2.0 (with the previous policy) was not going to steal info 3-4 hours a day, but 24/7 any time the console was physically connected to a cable. That's not even "just your problem", since the device was going to collect informations about your house and any habits in it. That was also the purpose of the ADS function, and the main reason Microsoft tried to implement it.
At a certain point that simple machinery had the capacity to be used, WITH ANY ILL INTENDED, to create an identikit of yourself (since info like your name, surname and place of work can eventually escape, randomly speaking in your OWN HOUSE) and link such info to a face that can't really be "a fake", instead of many info you insert intentionally in your public profiles and similar.
Of course this is just an ipothetical scenario, I am not saying Microsoft had any interest to do it, but it could... and legally, what most. And of course, nobody guarantee Microsoft would be the only one to get access to such data, in the future...

Second, not everybody use cell with webcam as a daily basis, it's a mode between younger but even there is not so diffuse as you may think. Even in that case, case of security break-out are rare and dangerous, since are illegal... that alone is a safe bet if I must really take a risk... at least any abuse would be punished, if caught.

I hope this solved many question about why you should be aware of ANYTHING that "may put a risk" to your own privacy, in particular when there is no much of a reason for create the danger (ADS data collection compared to telephone interception for protect a country from terrorism? Not exactly the same level of priority =< ).
---
sorry for bad English, it isn't my first language >.<
#20crucialPosted 11/11/2013 3:21:51 PM
It has a feature to turn it off if you are that worried but lets see how and when can the NSA spy on you?

1.Any type of camera can be hacked,PC,Tablet,Phone,Ipad you name it,they can spy on you at some traffic lights and camera's,if the NSA wants to spy on you better live like the Unibomber in a shack in Colorado if you do not want to be spied on,NSA has no need for Kinect to stop terror and is just a Pony ploy to get you to by there Waitstation 4.