Can someone Explain the Difference Between....

#31KOOGARPosted 11/12/2013 12:43:32 PM
The Xbone is by M$.
M$ sends data to NSA, Netflix, Hulu, Skype, Amazon and all of their comercial partners.
#32Kosmo240985Posted 11/12/2013 1:51:55 PM
KOOGAR posted...
The Xbone is by M$.
M$ sends data to NSA, Netflix, Hulu, Skype, Amazon and all of their comercial partners.

so does google, AT&T and Verizon. So if you use the google browser, or your phone all that data is sent to the governemt according to prism.
---
GT: Kozzie85
#33reincarnator07Posted 11/12/2013 2:25:53 PM
Kosmo240985 posted...
reincarnator07 posted...
My phone camera isn't nearly as advanced as Kinect, nor is it focused on me much at all. My phone doesn't shove targeted ads throughout the OS. My phone camera doesn't make up half the cost of my phone.

the camera portion of your phone is pretty pricey man. you do realize that retail value of the phones is upwards of 600 right?

a phone is more expensive then either system. add on to that 50-100 dollars a month for a plan.

use your brain, you think the government would be interested in a kinect viewing your living room or a phone listening to everything you say, tracking every location you go to and reading every email text website etc...

The government can already do all that you state without the use of my phone, especially here in the UK.

I can be fairly confident that once you remove the insane profit margins on my phone (HTC One), the majority of the cost went into the SOC, the screen and the build quality. They didn't put all their effort into adding on a camera that track multiple people and see their heart rate. It didn't take away from the rest of the system and make it noticeably weaker than that of their biggest competitor.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#34FinzFan4lifePosted 11/12/2013 2:36:58 PM
So a phone that is with you all time and can hear everything you say is worse then a camera that you can walk away from?

This is our future leaders people; welcome to Idiocracy, "It's got what plants need."
---
Not Changing until Miami Dolphins Win a Super Bowl signed 02-09-2012
#35Megaman_ZPosted 11/12/2013 3:03:00 PM
I work for the feds and they tell us all the time to leave cell phones outside of work. Why? Because they know how easy it is to hack the mic and hear whatever is going on. The government is not as incompetent as many people think.

Have any of you ever read any of the news articles about Chinese companies offering to build telecom infrastructure here in the US for cheap and getting denied because of the fear they would have easy spying access? Sounds exactly like whats already happening.

Also targeted ads happen everywhere nowadays unless you opt out. I did that on facebook because I had looked into getting a new wallet and it started showing me ads for the same kind I had just looked at. Stores are doing the same thing with those "reward cards". It allows them to track your spending habits. Department stores are starting to use cameras to see how an individual shops and will use that data to set up a store better or in a few years use screens for targeted ads.

I also think everybody is forgetting the fact that, and this is vitally important to the whole argument, THEY ARE NOT IMPORTANT IN ANYWAY.
#36SoulTrapperPosted 11/13/2013 7:08:54 AM(edited)
Kosmo240985 posted...

let's break this out logically shall we.

seriously guys. the security and privacy issue has been beaten to death. the kinect cannot do anything more or different then any other electronic device connected to the internet in your house.

So you agree that the kinect is capable of spying on you and your family, and your defense for this is that other devices can do the same?

It's not okay to kick someone in the nuts just because they've been punched in the jaw.

The problem with your "rebuttal" is that it only concludes what we all know: we are being spied on by the government.

The question here is: why give the government even more options to spy on us?

Megaman_Z posted...

I also think everybody is forgetting the fact that, and this is vitally important to the whole argument, THEY ARE NOT IMPORTANT IN ANYWAY.

And yet they/we are still getting spied on, regardless of how unimportant we/they are.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/archive/index.php/t-685941.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/05/dea-surveillance-cover-up_n_3706207.html

http://www.heavy.com/news/2013/08/deas-special-operations-divisions-sod-justice-department-surveillance-americans/
#37stalemate_666Posted 11/13/2013 7:11:31 AM
WarNinja2012 posted...
The idea that the Kinect will spy on you, vs the idea that smartphones with a forward facing camera and gps do not.

Xbox one is made by a single company who has a single network, and a harddrive with parts partitioned off and has voice recognition as well as a camera which can recognize faces as well as logo's.

So basically if someone was to spy with phones they'd have to pay more, have dozens of companies involved and find a way to look through billions of hours of pocket time and dead air, where with kinect the kinect can look for any information they want making the need for people to view any video or audio gone and store it on the harddrive and then send it over xbl. Information could include, logos, how much/often keywords are mentioned, where the player is looking during commercials ect. Phones can't do any of that on their own and even if they could they'd need to send it over the net which could cost a ton of data and again you'd need dozens of companies involved since there are so many networks and so many people making different phones with xbone it's one company for both network and hardware.
---
psn: Stalemate666
#38Kosmo240985Posted 11/13/2013 7:38:50 AM
SoulTrapper posted...
Kosmo240985 posted...

let's break this out logically shall we.

seriously guys. the security and privacy issue has been beaten to death. the kinect cannot do anything more or different then any other electronic device connected to the internet in your house.

So you agree that the kinect is capable of spying on you and your family, and your defense for this is that other devices can do the same?

It's not okay to kick someone in the nuts just because they've been punched in the jaw.

The problem with your "rebuttal" is that it only concludes what we all know: we are being spied on by the government.

The question here is: why give the government even more options to spy on us?

Megaman_Z posted...

And yet they/we are still getting spied on, regardless of how unimportant we/they are.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/archive/index.php/t-685941.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/05/dea-surveillance-cover-up_n_3706207.html

http://www.heavy.com/news/2013/08/deas-special-operations-divisions-sod-justice-department-surveillance-americans/

Yes...the kinect as well as any device on this planet remotly linked to the internet has the "capability" to spy on you. even the ps4.

secondly, the dea links you are providing is completly different than microsoft being one of many companies in Prism, prism focuses on national security, the dea is just using illigal practices and covering it up..

either way there can be several facts derived from this situation...

1) All governments spy, its innevitable and will require a much greater catalyst to change than some whiny forum board video gamers to change.

2) Taking #1 into account....since we can't really stop it we have to live with it. unfortunatly there are people in the world that would like to blow themselves along with women and children up, so the government takes percautions...sadly our privacy to an extent is collateral damage...however, to 99.9999% of Americans it won't make a difference becasue we don't pose a threat to national security. Do you honestly believe that the government will care what your facial expression is during an ad or movie? or what your tv watching habits are (which they get from cable providers anyway) or that you are fat and overweight or that you like to drink pop and have friends over for football? be realistic.

3) if you are truly that paranoid...you do not have to buy it. it's not like they are forcing you to buy it and put it into your home. MS even disabled the mandatory connection to try and placate the irrational fears of people.

4) so unless you are a drug trafficing criminal or a terrorist.....the government has no reason to look into you...
---
GT: Kozzie85
#39SoulTrapperPosted 11/13/2013 8:25:15 AM
Kosmo240985 posted...

Yes...the kinect as well as any device on this planet remotly linked to the internet has the "capability" to spy on you. even the ps4.

Exactly, except of course the PS4 isn't from an American company and Japan rejected the NSA:

http://www.zdnet.com/japan-rejected-nsa-requests-to-tap-fibre-in-2011-reports-7000022469/

So one is a lot more likely to be used then the other.

secondly, the dea links you are providing is completly different than microsoft being one of many companies in Prism, prism focuses on national security, the dea is just using illigal practices and covering it up..

Those links weren't in reply to you, they were to demonstrate that the US government spies on ALL Americans, regardless of their importance.

either way there can be several facts derived from this situation...

1) All governments spy, its innevitable and will require a much greater catalyst to change than some whiny forum board video gamers to change.

2) Taking #1 into account....since we can't really stop it we have to live with it. unfortunatly there are people in the world that would like to blow themselves along with women and children up, so the government takes percautions...sadly our privacy to an extent is collateral damage...however, to 99.9999% of Americans it won't make a difference becasue we don't pose a threat to national security. Do you honestly believe that the government will care what your facial expression is during an ad or movie? or what your tv watching habits are (which they get from cable providers anyway) or that you are fat and overweight or that you like to drink pop and have friends over for football? be realistic.

3) if you are truly that paranoid...you do not have to buy it. it's not like they are forcing you to buy it and put it into your home. MS even disabled the mandatory connection to try and placate the irrational fears of people.

4) so unless you are a drug trafficing criminal or a terrorist.....the government has no reason to look into you...

1) All governments spy, but not on it's people.
So far the only government found to be spying on it's people (outside of China and the obvious other culprits) is the US, with Microsoft playing a big role in it.

2) You can't completely stop it, but you can make it a lot harder for them to do so.

https://prism-break.org/

Also, not getting a product made by a company that is actively involved in the PRISM thing is a pretty good idea as well.
Why support those that throw away your privacy?

And no, they weren't forced too do it. Qwest refused to do it.

Read the links I posted, they prove that they're spying on EVERYONE, regardless of their threat to national security.

3) I'm not going to buy it, neither should anyone who values their privacy.

4) You're right: they have no reason. And yet they're doing it, as proven by my links.

http://www.emptywheel.net/2013/08/05/about-the-reuters-dea-special-operations-division-story/

The takeaway that is important from the Reuters piece is that all the frothing about “golly, what if those NSA capabilities bleed out of terrorism and into traditional criminal cases” is nuts. It already is, and has been for a long time. It is the “clean teaming” of criminal prosecutions. And it is a direct and tangible fraud upon defendants, the courts, Due Process and several other important Constitutional concepts.

The government agencies are using the data gathered by PRISM to collect evidence against ANYONE they suspect.
So if they even think you did something wrong, they'll collect everything they can about you, which will include kinect data, thanks to Microsofts involvement with PRISM (which is still going on).
#40BushidoEffect3Posted 11/15/2013 5:39:18 AM
I just thought of the movie Enemy of the State. everyone seen that? Will Smith lol.
---
We'll bang okay? http://i.imgur.com/TUf4vEL.gif
Miley, learn from this girl. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlcIKh6sBtc. Modern, good sound, no twerking BS.