Bad news, XBROS! XBOX ONE prolly wont ever get XBOX 360 backwards compatibility!

#1SolnotPosted 11/11/2013 10:20:11 PM
http://www.geek.com/games/xbox-one-probably-wont-ever-get-xbox-360-backwards-compatibility-1576908/

One of the big missing features from both the PS4 and Xbox One out the box is backwards compatibility. The next generation hardware arriving later this month is simply too different in terms of architecture to attempt including backwards compatibility as a core feature. And while Sony is promising to offer the ability to play older games next year through Gaikai, Microsoft isnít for now, and probably wonít for this generation of hardware.

The way to offer backwards compatibility on a machine with a completely different architecture to the old games you are trying to support is through streaming. Thatís what Sony is going to attempt to achieve, and itís a big part of the reason the company acquired Gaikai last year. At some point in 2014, Sony is aiming to have older PlayStation titles streaming to a PS4.

Microsoft isnít exactly new to the business of the cloud, and thereís even been a suggestion that the company is developing its own version of Gaikai based on Azure. But Albert Penello, senior director of Xbox product management and planning, has poured cold water on that theory, but not because Microsoft canít implement cloud streaming games, itís that they shouldnít.

Penello explained in a recent interview that the implementation isnít the issue, instead itís the gamerís unreliable Internet connection. Microsoft could spend a fortune setting up and running a Gaikai-like streaming service, but unless every gamerís connection is fantastic, you wonít be playing streamed games at their best, and you will get a lot of complaints.

So instead, Microsoft seems to be taking a wait-and-see approach to backwards compatibility. For cloud streaming games to work we need better networks providing much more reliable Internet connections. Until then, Microsoft will just watch how Sony does with its promised roll out of Gaikai next year. If it turns out to be very popular and reliable, Microsoft will surely look more closely at the feature again. But for now, there just seems to be too many problems for Microsoft to see it as a viable service.
#2Dr WhoopassPosted 11/11/2013 10:20:53 PM
That's why my 360 will make sweet sweet sexytime with the HDMI IN port.
---
XBL: Bitter Kevin
PSN: B1TT3R-K3V1N
#3LaKost117Posted 11/11/2013 10:30:04 PM
Forgive me but isnt this the same company who was pulling an always online, basic download games and so forth? This same company trying to pull the "everyones unreliable internet" card......Im sorry but.....ok. I honestly think both systems will be great.
#4Xeeh_BitzPosted 11/11/2013 10:33:20 PM
So Microsoft is saying their Network and cloud isn't good enough for streaming games but Sony's network is?
---
3770K @ 4.5ghz| GTX Titan @ 1300/6500 | Asus Maximus V Formula | Asus PB278Q 2560x1440 | Windows 8.1 | PS4 | Atari 2600
#5xkill88Posted 11/11/2013 10:38:45 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
So Microsoft is saying their Network and cloud isn't good enough for streaming games but Sony's network is?

Not Entirely, they are stating that now matter how good they make it on their end, the average internet connection is not stable nor fast enough to stream entire games.

This is especially true for me here in Australia : ( terrible internet.
#6MantisPowahPosted 11/11/2013 10:38:55 PM
Dr Whoopass posted...
That's why my 360 will make sweet sweet sexytime with the HDMI IN port.

You should know they already confirmed the HDMI IN port has significant input delay when used with a gaming system and they highly recommend against using it with a game system.

If you don't mind your games having a good 1/2 second delay when you push buttons go ahead and use it though.
#7FoppePosted 11/11/2013 10:44:40 PM
Confound these Microsoft that got no BC, they drive me to drink!
How dare they force me to keep my 360, which allows me to play any 360 game I own, instead of doing a Sony and use a online streaming service, which you can't use if you are not connected online and we all remember the flood of people that got no internet on this board to whine about that, and only allow us to play the titles they got the license to stream.
How dare they!
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#8TheGam3925Posted 11/11/2013 10:49:40 PM
Inb4solnottopic
---
360 - The Game 925
PSN - TheGame925
#9jakethenoobPosted 11/11/2013 10:57:20 PM
Foppe posted...
How dare they force me to keep my 360, which allows me to play any 360 game I own, instead of doing a Sony and use a online streaming service, which you can't use if you are not connected online and we all remember the flood of people that got no internet on this board to whine about that, and only allow us to play the titles they got the license to stream.
How dare they!

Do you have any how much it sucks ass to hook up my 360? I don't want to have to do it every time I want to play my 360 games.

Considering how big the thing is WITHOUT an internal power supply and WORSE specs than the PS4, I'm seriously wondering why it's not BC. What's using up all the space?
---
Game collection: http://postimage.org/gallery/1tqkmeku/
#10FoppePosted 11/11/2013 11:09:19 PM
jakethenoob posted...
Foppe posted...
How dare they!

Do you have any how much it sucks ass to hook up my 360? I don't want to have to do it every time I want to play my 360 games.

Considering how big the thing is WITHOUT an internal power supply and WORSE specs than the PS4, I'm seriously wondering why it's not BC. What's using up all the space?

...so Microsoft should include BC because you decided to make it suck ass to hook up a system to your TV? That's almost as bad as that guy who wanted Microsoft to remove the 8 controllers support because he lived in such small space so he couldn't even have 3 friends there at the same time.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC