Microsoft WILL sell Xbones without Kinect eventually

#91HeracylostPosted 11/19/2013 1:32:12 AM
TheGam3925 posted...
Xbone may need to drop Kinect just to survive.

Not even interested in an Xbone til that stupid kinect goes away.
Don't care how awesome it is to them, it's useless and pointless to me. Don't want it in my house, period.
#92FearPotionPosted 11/19/2013 1:45:24 AM
Kinect isn't even that popular. MS just force bundle it with the 360 to make it look big. In Europe nobody really cares. It also didn't save them in Japan when you thought they were into weird tech and motion gimmicks like the Wii-mote.

Removing Kinect would save them. I don't think they can last being the more expensive console with less power. If they are serious about performing well on the market these thing should never have been included in the first place.
#93mantezPosted 11/19/2013 1:48:47 AM
Why do people assume that the Xbox One would be $100 cheaper if it didn't have the kinect 2.0 included. If they did remove it and I think it is unlikely that they will, I could only see them knock $50 off the price.
---
The ship is safer in the harbour, but it is not meant for that.
#94dnmtPosted 11/19/2013 1:55:03 AM
mantez posted...
Why do people assume that the Xbox One would be $100 cheaper if it didn't have the kinect 2.0 included. If they did remove it and I think it is unlikely that they will, I could only see them knock $50 off the price.

The PS4 camera is $60. Do you really think the Kinect is cheaper than that with the way MS is hyping it?
#95SheepinatorPosted 11/19/2013 6:45:07 AM
Zheakk posted...
People buy things all the time that include features that they don't use. People buys games that include single player and online, even if they don't have an internet connection, yet they don't ask for a $20 cheaper single player only version. People buy console bundles that come with games they don't want to play, but they don't ask for a $60 cheaper console without the game included. People are buying PS4 controllers with touchpad interfaces when a good number of them think it is as gimmicky as the Kinect, but you don't see them complaining about the lack of a cheaper, non-touchpad version.

All of those examples are for things which cost the same as their competitors, so essentially they are free to the buyer. The PS4 controller with touchpad costs the same as the XB1 controller. The game with feature X costs the same as the other $60 that doesn't have the feature. In this case the console is less powerful, costs $100 more, and comes included with a Kinect for which the inferior version retailed for up to $150 as a separate item. It's a logical conclusion then they are selling a bundle of an approx $400 console with an approx $100 peripheral.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#96TheM00dPosted 11/19/2013 7:00:56 AM
Are we still on this? Wow.
---
GT- CCCC0MB0BREAKER
Good example. I'm sure terrorists go around saying "terrorist" all the time where they live, let alone have kinects. - TBONE_OG
#97ZheakkPosted 11/19/2013 7:10:30 AM
Sheepinator posted...
Zheakk posted...
People buy things all the time that include features that they don't use. People buys games that include single player and online, even if they don't have an internet connection, yet they don't ask for a $20 cheaper single player only version. People buy console bundles that come with games they don't want to play, but they don't ask for a $60 cheaper console without the game included. People are buying PS4 controllers with touchpad interfaces when a good number of them think it is as gimmicky as the Kinect, but you don't see them complaining about the lack of a cheaper, non-touchpad version.

All of those examples are for things which cost the same as their competitors, so essentially they are free to the buyer. The PS4 controller with touchpad costs the same as the XB1 controller. The game with feature X costs the same as the other $60 that doesn't have the feature. In this case the console is less powerful, costs $100 more, and comes included with a Kinect for which the inferior version retailed for up to $150 as a separate item. It's a logical conclusion then they are selling a bundle of an approx $400 console with an approx $100 peripheral.

How does a PS4 controller compete with an XB1 controller? If you own a PS4 and go to buy a controller, you are not considering the XB1 controller when making your purchase. You are, as people around here like to say, "forced" to buy the controller with the touch-pad. People are quick to point out how different the XB1 and PS4 are, so it is not as simple as saying "These are the same things, they should be the same price."

If you go back to the PS3, no one was arguing that they were buying a $400 console with a $200 blu-ray player. It was just a $600 console that came with blu-ray.

Regardless, the point I am making is that the consoles differ in more than just the Kinect, so why is the distinction made solely for the Kinect? Perhaps your Kinect is free, and you are paying $100 extra for "Teh Cloudz", or for all of the exclusivity MS pays for.

There is nothing "logical" about reasoning why a company sets their price point where they do, for a product that has had no sales history to base the price off of.
#98dnmtPosted 11/19/2013 7:15:16 AM
Zheakk posted...
Sheepinator posted...
Zheakk posted...

How does a PS4 controller compete with an XB1 controller? If you own a PS4 and go to buy a controller, you are not considering the XB1 controller when making your purchase. You are, as people around here like to say, "forced" to buy the controller with the touch-pad. People are quick to point out how different the XB1 and PS4 are, so it is not as simple as saying "These are the same things, they should be the same price."

If you go back to the PS3, no one was arguing that they were buying a $400 console with a $200 blu-ray player. It was just a $600 console that came with blu-ray.

Regardless, the point I am making is that the consoles differ in more than just the Kinect, so why is the distinction made solely for the Kinect? Perhaps your Kinect is free, and you are paying $100 extra for "Teh Cloudz", or for all of the exclusivity MS pays for.

There is nothing "logical" about reasoning why a company sets their price point where they do, for a product that has had no sales history to base the price off of.

Well the Xbone is significantly weaker than the PS4 and they both utilize cheap off-the-shelf parts. If you use logic(a big "if" on these boards) then you can reasonably assume that the Kinect is why the Xbone costs $500 and not less.
#99SheepinatorPosted 11/19/2013 7:23:20 AM
Zheakk posted...

You know what the Kinect1 retailed for. It defies logic to extrapolate that number to zero for Kinect2. It also defies logic to compare an internal component of a console to a peripheral which the console can work perfectly fine without. It's far easier to cost reduce the latter for consumers by simply not including it.

Lots of people buy additional or replacement controllers. Of course the relative price is relevant. If one console sold second controllers for $1,000 and the other for $50, you don't think that would impact peoples choices of which console to buy?

As for PS3's launch price, I recall tons of complaints about the high price. It was probably a big factor in MS becoming #1 in the first few years of the 360/PS3 cycle.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#100SteelToothPosted 11/19/2013 7:29:23 AM
SparkItUp posted...
you can already see the lack of support by the developers for the Kinect...as you said, it's pretty much inevitable for a Kinectless model eventually

Hm, yes, I too can tell no one wants to utilize a much improved tool that hasn't been released quite yet. :P

Quite the contrary, Kinect is as much of a part of the X1 as a mouse is for a PC. Do you need it - no, you can unplug it at any time; but does it make the experience a helluva lot better? Yep!
---
TWSSted Steel Disagree with me? Talk to the Tree:
http://i.imgur.com/ihMBR.jpg