The Graphics Mean Everything/Innovation Means Nothing Gen

#21SythisTaruPosted 11/12/2013 8:25:14 AM
BraxSimeon posted...
natevines posted...
Oh, right. I don't recall hearing this last-gen. Or the gen before.

This is only the "graphics mean everything" gen if you're under 20. It's incredible the hindsight bias people have, as if everything used to be sunshine and lollipops and now gaming is terrible when the opposite is objectively true.

You might have heard it last gen too, but you didn't get nearly as bombarded with it. I've been gaming for a lot longer than most people on this site - this isn't me "seeing fanboys for the first time". I've been involved in fan-wars over things like which audio processor is better - I understand the nature of it - but it's never been this bad, and before either system is even available.

I think this is more of an anti-corporation thing (anti-Microsoft). These are probably the same people who occupied Wallstreet and hate Jewish people. They want everything for free/cheap.
#22BraxSimeon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2013 8:30:59 AM
SythisTaru posted...
BraxSimeon posted...
natevines posted...
Oh, right. I don't recall hearing this last-gen. Or the gen before.

This is only the "graphics mean everything" gen if you're under 20. It's incredible the hindsight bias people have, as if everything used to be sunshine and lollipops and now gaming is terrible when the opposite is objectively true.

You might have heard it last gen too, but you didn't get nearly as bombarded with it. I've been gaming for a lot longer than most people on this site - this isn't me "seeing fanboys for the first time". I've been involved in fan-wars over things like which audio processor is better - I understand the nature of it - but it's never been this bad, and before either system is even available.

I think this is more of an anti-corporation thing (anti-Microsoft). These are probably the same people who occupied Wallstreet and hate Jewish people. They want everything for free/cheap.

In all honesty, I didn't want to use the entitlement term, but I do think that's part of the vitriol this time around.

The technically most advanced consoles we've ever seen and we hear about what is "unacceptable this gen". Everything's amazing, and no fanboys are happy.
---
GT: Brax
13 12 4 X
#23Jiggy101011Posted 11/12/2013 8:39:41 AM
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
Haha, TC is obviously new to video games.

That was last gen you're trying to describe.

Are you saying there were no innovative games from last gen? Come on now...
---
Gamertag: F1RE v2 PSN ID: F1REx
If you want to troll, provide a source to backup your claims.
#24Cowboy082288Posted 11/12/2013 9:06:32 AM
BraxSimeon posted...
Cowboy082288 posted...
Well to be fair TC this has always existed to an extent. That being said, yes this next-gen console war pre release hysteria is like the previous ones on steroids. I mean a game dev sneezes and there are articles, twitter feeds, facebook post, and hundred post threads on neogaf about it. That whole social media age thing I guess.

Don't worry though, in 2-3 years a person will be able to build a PC that is much more powerful than a PS4 or X1 and cost the same or less. Once that happens people will go back to arguing about what games are better. Saying why halo 5 sucks or why god of war 4 sucks.

Oh, I'm not worried. And I'm not sure the PC is going to get more relevant to console gaming (unless things like SteamOS help the PC get closer to consoles in that ease-of-use/social way that makes consoles so much more popular).

You're absolutely right though, it's like the internet got taken over by company-zealots that can't wait to pounce on anything, and the "journalists" have certainly seen the demand for that crud, which hasn't helped. Like I said, this gen has been terrible so far. The games are only an afterthought, except when they can be used as ammo to bash The Other Guy. Oh yeah, sure... the game is derivative and adds nothing new - but screw that, let's compare pixels!!

O I don't think PC will gain any more relevancy than it has now, (actually the big trend is that traditional PCs are loosing relevance). Just all these minor hardware differences people are obsessing over right now is gonna seem pretty silly in 3 years when both consoles will be comparable to a low end gaming PC.

Something that I think is interesting that many seem to not be noticing is that both Sony & MS are not really pushing the traditional hardware specs like they used to for this gen. Used to be that when Sony or MS announced their new system they were pretty comparable to higher end PCs. Sure they would get out paced in 1-2 years but at the initial moment of launch they were pretty on par with PCs.

I think this is a smart decision by both of them.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#25dekouPosted 11/12/2013 9:16:16 AM
BraxSimeon posted...
The technically most advanced consoles we've ever seen and we hear about what is "unacceptable this gen". Everything's amazing, and no fanboys are happy.

What's amazing? As per your topic title I'd think you mean innovation, but the only Project Spark is the only next-gen game I've heard of that I'd consider innovative. There's nothing special about the likes of BF4, AC4, Ghosts, Ryse or Forza 5 innovation wise.
#26Thewinner14Posted 11/12/2013 9:27:25 AM
PC gaming is growing, but yeah its losing relevance /eyeroll

PCs have only gotten easier to set up and use, while consoles have gotten harder. Combined with the fact that this gen both consoles are pretty much using off the shelf parts, we're approaching a convergence between the two platforms.

If someone built a console with near infinite backwards capability, near infinite amount of peripheral/controller choice, the ability to create and download free content, mods, and even full games (full conversion mods), and would play games at high to max settings for the next 5 years, and it cost $600 would you buy it? There's a small catch in that in around 5 years you're probably going to have to spend $1-200 on an upgrade, but good news is that you can offset that by getting games for wicked cheap during big sales.
---
6 Bible translations, 1 app: http://www.jw.org/en/online-help/jw-library/
#27reincarnator07Posted 11/12/2013 9:44:38 AM
The problem isn't really the graphics, it's the general lack of power. Devs have been complaining about the ps360's lack of power for a while now, stating that it was what was holding them back. Now they have these new consoles and they're already running into limitations. How are these systems expected to last for 8+ years, particularly against PCs and tablets which can update their hardware every year?
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#28MRL3G3NDPosted 11/12/2013 9:48:57 AM
lol console gamers talking about innovation

innovation is not the latest ploy to fleece you

see oculus rift...that's innovation

illumiroom was innovation, but they couldn't make any money on it so we don't get it

tell me what either camp has done in the vein of innovation
---
The Closest You'll Ever Come to Afghanistan in Gaming...
http://youtu.be/GIhqUiQJt6Q
#29SuperShadowAcePosted 11/12/2013 9:51:36 AM
Frame rate is part of fun. If the game has a horrible sense of flow in combat, I won't enjoy it.
---
http://ofnoobsandmen.com/ <----Good comic
Game contact information in profile.
#30SythisTaruPosted 11/12/2013 9:53:15 AM
MRL3G3ND posted...
lol console gamers talking about innovation

innovation is not the latest ploy to fleece you

see oculus rift...that's innovation

illumiroom was innovation, but they couldn't make any money on it so we don't get it

tell me what either camp has done in the vein of innovation

You trolling?