Get real - Resolution and FPS are not what is important for sales

#21LICKWIDPAlNPosted 11/12/2013 6:27:58 PM
So why buy next gen at all?
See how stupid back pedal logic is?
---
PS3 / Vita / 2600K@4.7Ghz water cooled by Corsair H80, Dual GTX580s in SLi, 8 Gigs Corsair RAM, 120Hz screen. Vsync? I don't need no Vsync! PSN: Liquidpain
#22backguard222(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2013 6:30:01 PM
Unfitwarlord23 posted...
if resolution and fps is truly the case, then why buy a console when a PC poops on both consoles in that department?

Because playing on a 27" monitor is no fun.
Because using a mouse and keyboard on a couch is no fun.
Because lugging around a PC and going through the mess of TV hookups is no fun.
Because fighting with an operating system is no fun.
Because PCs are for Office. Consoles are for Halo.
---
Currently Playing: L.A. Noire (PS3); Chrono Cross; LOZ: Twilight Princess (Wii)
Latest Platinum: Hotline Miami (11/4/13)
#23True_FoeHammerPosted 11/12/2013 6:31:22 PM
jumbocat posted...

>laments how people have been taught not to think
>posts nonsensical, incorrect rubbish

What exactly about my post was incorrect rubbish?
#24R_JackalPosted 11/12/2013 6:33:10 PM
backguard222 posted...
Unfitwarlord23 posted...
if resolution and fps is truly the case, then why buy a console when a PC poops on both consoles in that department?

My PC is attached to my 60" TV.
I use a controller for most games while couch gaming.
HDMI cable is the only thing needed.
Just use Steam Big Screen mode(It's pretty much the 360/PS3 console UI)
I both work and game on my PC.

All of that is the reason why I'm first and foremost a PC gamer, and have been for the past 5 years.
#25Troll_DirectoryPosted 11/12/2013 6:37:20 PM
R_Jackal posted...
backguard222 posted...
Unfitwarlord23 posted...

My PC is attached to my 60" TV.
I use a controller for most games while couch gaming.
HDMI cable is the only thing needed.
Just use Steam Big Screen mode(It's pretty much the 360/PS3 console UI)
I both work and game on my PC.

All of that is the reason why I'm first and foremost a PC gamer, and have been for the past 5 years.
i do everything you listed and i love it (65" tv with 75' hdmi cable). totally worth the effort, but i still consider myself a console gamer BECAUSE i went to all that effort. and, because i love my ps and xbox exclusives more than any pc exclusives.
#26backguard222(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2013 6:42:26 PM(edited)
When I was a PC gamer - 2004? - you couldn't do that at all.

I had Svideo cords 20 feet from my desk to play on my tv. I had 3.5" out for 20 feet hooked up to crappy speakers. And 20 feet of USB cable to a controller that was a serious pain in the but to get to work with most games because nothing was made to work with a controller. Also a wireless mouse with barely the range to work.

And it was a serious pain to figure out all that in the first place. But I could play Morrowind on the TV.

Then came the Xbox version.....................................

Load disc. Play game. Done.
---
#27Troll_DirectoryPosted 11/12/2013 6:46:16 PM
backguard222 posted...

I had Svideo cords 20 feet from my desk to play on my tv. I had 3.5" out for 20 feet hooked up to crappy speakers. And 20 feet of USB cable to a controller that was a serious pain in the but to get to work with most games because nothing was made to work with a controller. Also a wireless mouse with barely the range to work.

And it was a serious pain to figure out all that in the first place. But I could play Morrowind on the TV.

yep. i think it's partly because of xbl and the 360 that it's slowly gotten easier on pc. but still a ways off. still, if you knew for a fact that you could play every game you own on the consoles at a higher graphics standard on a pc, would you go to the extra effort?
#28backguard222(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2013 6:52:31 PM
Troll_Directory posted...
backguard222 posted...

yep. i think it's partly because of xbl and the 360 that it's slowly gotten easier on pc. but still a ways off. still, if you knew for a fact that you could play every game you own on the consoles at a higher graphics standard on a pc, would you go to the extra effort?

If I could afford it...maybe. But it would be dedicated as a gaming PC meaning it would sit by my TV and be hooked up to my TV all the time. I would use my laptops for productivity.

Don't you lose the super easy access to suites of apps? A couple button presses to get to netflix vs. either having a mouse on hand or having the mouse keyed to a stick on the controller?
---
#29jumbocatPosted 11/12/2013 7:00:45 PM
True_FoeHammer posted...
jumbocat posted...

>laments how people have been taught not to think
>posts nonsensical, incorrect rubbish

What exactly about my post was incorrect rubbish?

1. Fidelity = clarity = sharpness = (essentially) level of resolution. so you were saying that any game can be played in super-high fidelity but that comes at the expense of fidelity... wat. you meant 'detail' which is a different kettle of fish completely in game development.

2. The way a game uses hardware isn't a 2 axis tradeoff between graphics quality and resolution/fps. Animations, textures, AI, collisions, number of models on the screen, size of game play area, network integration, etc. are all strong determinants of how the system is utilized.

3. The general tone of your post was dismissive of the person you were quoting and seemed to make the point that resolution/fps figures are only numbers and people may be fooled into placing great weight on them at the expense of other things like graphics quality and design. While that may be true, you can't dismiss the fact that consumers may be discouraged when a console can't play a port of a previous gen game at a resolution standard which has been around for 5+ years.. This might make me sound like a PC elitist, but for a console to not be able to play games at 1080p in 2013 is indefensible. by the end of X1's life (2018ish) smartphones will kerb stomp it. Think of the wii towards the end - a fuzzy anachronism with only shovelware and under powered exclusives, stumbling around looking for a place to die.
---
ED
AC
#30R_JackalPosted 11/12/2013 7:41:15 PM
backguard222 posted...
Troll_Directory posted...
backguard222 posted...

If I could afford it...maybe. But it would be dedicated as a gaming PC meaning it would sit by my TV and be hooked up to my TV all the time. I would use my laptops for productivity.

Don't you lose the super easy access to suites of apps? A couple button presses to get to netflix vs. either having a mouse on hand or having the mouse keyed to a stick on the controller?

Windows 8 is pretty much the XB1 screen, and you can set up other ways to control it aside from a mouse--you can set up a small PC mod to allow you to transfer mouse movements/keyboard keys to a controller, but not natively. As a PC interface, you don't really lose any of that any longer. There's also mods to make a Wii Remote/Kinect function as a mouse on PC.