Microsoft and Polygon

#1James_4ortPosted 11/12/2013 7:38:24 PM
http://realitypales.org/2013/06/06/polygon-is-silencing-the-playstation-community/

lets not make this a fanboy topic please. I do intend on buying a PS4, but im here trying to figure out how legitimate this is.

let me also note that polygon just gave Ghosts a 6.5 on PS4 and a 7 on XBO. (for having a more stable framerate... while ignoring the resolution difference. to each their own, but I would expect a reviewer to simply call it even at that point)

does bribery exist to this extent in the gaming media/reviewers?
What do you guys think?

**I respect your opinions and your personal choice to buy a Xbox one.**
---
~House of Red Leaves~
Let no1 misguide you. The true hearted will fall to the glory of eternity, and as the darkness arrises the light within will shine true
#2Xeeh_BitzPosted 11/12/2013 7:43:44 PM
Polygon also ignored the fact that IW said they're dropping a patch to fix the framerate issues on the PS4, so there reasoning for the Xbox One getting a slight higher score is moot.
---
3770K @ 4.5ghz| GTX Titan @ 1300/6500 | Asus Maximus V Formula | Asus PB278Q 2560x1440 | Windows 8.1 | PS4 | Atari 2600
#3Dannyson97Posted 11/12/2013 7:45:07 PM
I'll say some bribery exists in the gaming industry, whether through gaming journalists, or trying to silence news about a console. I believe Microsoft is the most likely candidate for this, but l don't think it's rampant as some people make it out to be.
---
Argue with me at your own risk I have way too much free time.
#4Paulf001Posted 11/12/2013 7:46:39 PM
It's not against the law to pay for publicity.
#5Xeeh_BitzPosted 11/12/2013 7:47:39 PM
Paulf001 posted...
It's not against the law to pay for publicity.

but it's not ethical for people to purchase an inferior product because they been lied to.
---
3770K @ 4.5ghz| GTX Titan @ 1300/6500 | Asus Maximus V Formula | Asus PB278Q 2560x1440 | Windows 8.1 | PS4 | Atari 2600
#6Ramsus082Posted 11/12/2013 7:48:37 PM
I'm not so sure about bribery on this kind of scale, no. But gamers are fickle and loyal to brands; Game publications naturally want to avoid causing even the faintest controversy about being biased toward one major player in the industry or another for fear of losing their readership, sometimes at the expense of omitting facts or by taking the "edge" off of their commentary("Sure, 1080p is nice but it's the GAMES that matter!") when they think they're saying something that could be controversial.

It's why the entire industry is downplaying "resolutiongate" as if it's only pixel counts that's at stake when we discuss overall game performance. They want to set themselves up and try and take the middle ground, even if there's not a middle ground to take.

I actually like Polygon's reviews. I don't know how popular of an opinion that is, but I haven't seen anything that I'd call flat-out bias.
---
Band I'm listening to - "Song I'm listening to"
#7DelRowePosted 11/12/2013 7:52:56 PM
Ramsus082 posted...
I'm not so sure about bribery on this kind of scale, no. But gamers are fickle and loyal to brands; Game publications naturally want to avoid causing even the faintest controversy about being biased toward one major player in the industry or another for fear of losing their readership, sometimes at the expense of omitting facts or by taking the "edge" off of their commentary("Sure, 1080p is nice but it's the GAMES that matter!") when they think they're saying something that could be controversial.

It's why the entire industry is downplaying "resolutiongate" as if it's only pixel counts that's at stake when we discuss overall game performance. They want to set themselves up and try and take the middle ground, even if there's not a middle ground to take.

I actually like Polygon's reviews. I don't know how popular of an opinion that is, but I haven't seen anything that I'd call flat-out bias.

You don't think the next gen CoD reviews were biased?
---
You are not in control.
#8MetroidFan9999Posted 11/12/2013 7:55:19 PM
MS gave Polygon $750,000 to make a documentary.

Gies, a known MS bot, reviewed BF4, and has yet to reflect the obvious performance advantage for the PS4 in the review score.

The COD reviewer cannot tell the difference, side by side, which version was 1080p and which was 720p....when many people can tell at first glance, nearly everyone else side-by-side.

You tell us, bro.
---
Xbox One = Xbone = Crossbone = Jolly Roger.
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mind_blown.gif
#9ElPolloDiablo87Posted 11/12/2013 7:56:12 PM
DelRowe posted...
Ramsus082 posted...

You don't think the next gen CoD reviews were biased?

What did you find biased? The polygon review acknowledged the difference in resolution, noted that they didn't see any major differences because of the difference in resolution, noted that the framerate was better on X1 and concluded that in a fast-paced shooter a better framerate is more important than a slight difference in the graphics. I thought they explained their opinion very well. Just because it doesn't agree with your opinion, even though your opinion is completely uninformed since you haven't played either, doesn't mean it's biased.
---
Madre de Dios, es El Pollo Diablo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28WrhpTzQA
#10Xeeh_BitzPosted 11/12/2013 7:58:10 PM(edited)
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/5/4396286/the-last-of-us-review - 75

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/the-last-of-us/critic-reviews Avg is 95, mostly 100s

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/halo-4/critic-reviews Avg Rating - 87, Polygon, 95.

Compare other PS4 exclusives to Microsoft exclusives, Polygon always score those higher than the avg and always knocks Sony's down below the average.
---