Microsoft and Polygon

#51HUIPosted 11/12/2013 11:34:00 PM
James_4ort posted...
let me also note that polygon just gave Ghosts a 6.5 on PS4 and a 7 on XBO. (for having a more stable framerate... while ignoring the resolution difference. to each their own, but I would expect a reviewer to simply call it even at that point)

Just focusing on that part of your post, I'm not sure whether I'm more nonplussed by the idea that Microsoft would risk paying for a ".5" bump on a 6.5 game to a website that's already been maligned for being in cahoots with them, or, Activision's being so far out-of-the-loop on Polygon's acceptance of bribes and influence on the mass consumers, that they didn't pay for a much higher score themselves.

I'm trying to imagine the Call of Duty TV commercial, "7.0 SCORE -Polygon"

Meanwhile, the Internet's private-dicks somehow have the bribery all sussed out. Just like they did with Microsoft paying again for performance parity on launch games.
#52FenriswolfPosted 11/12/2013 11:49:43 PM
If you thought Polygon was bad, just go to Cinemablend, whose sole staff (WilliamUsher) is a huge PS fanboy and spins every article into an attack on Xbox. Half of his article on PS4 FPS dips on COD Ghosts is spent attacking the Xbox with the usual "Xboned" nonsense.
---
Hello
#53Cowboy082288Posted 11/12/2013 11:52:10 PM
Last week it was IGN that was paid off, this week it is Polygon..... yawn
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#54BlackWizardMagusPosted 11/13/2013 12:07:31 AM
Well, first off, there's no such thing as a true, non-biased reporter of anything. It's just not physically possible, unless the "report" is something like "The XBOne comes with a kinect", period. Second, obviously people are influenced by things; if one company is always nice and friendly and one is cold and stand off-ish, over the long term, there's going to be an effect (or if one company gives more games, or more swag, etc). Same for any number of other factors. Really, the question of direct bribery is pretty superfluous; obviously, no site can survive if their work is total rubbish, so whether they are inherently biased, unconciously influenced, or paid off, the results are going to be similar (unless the site is completely stupid and tanks all it's credibility by posting insane scores). Also, real game journalists are often totally out of touch; they are jaded, or they are stuck playing a genre they don't like, or have hang-ups that keep them from being reasonable, or just play SO many games that they marginalize everything that isn't really unique or really pretty. This is why I hate game journalism. I prefer reader reviews; despite their own set of flaws, if I read a dozen of them, from the lowest to highest scores, I can get a good idea of what kind of game it is and what kind of gamers like it, and that's all I need.

Short answer; possibly, but what difference does it really make? As to the censorship thing, well, it's not censorship, I wish people would stop misusing that word. Honestly, it's totally fine, it's their site, but I feel like the patronizing response was worse than a form letter of "stop trolling, 2 day suspension". Especially since it talks about "one person's opinion", but then, if the rest of the site doesn't stand behind that opinion, why post it?
---
"The black wind howls. One among you will shortly perish"
Magus
#55InjusticeRebornPosted 11/13/2013 12:39:42 AM
Cowboy082288 posted...

This.

Every week it seems someone is paid off. And if it isn't accusations being thrown around by fans from either console, it's game franchise fans, with the usual being "bah, Activision paid for these reviews!".

Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Polygon also ignored the fact that IW said they're dropping a patch to fix the framerate issues on the PS4, so there reasoning for the Xbox One getting a slight higher score is moot.

Who knows, they might re-review the game after the patch. But why should they hold off or add to a final score because of something that will/might happen in the future through a patch?

It's like me giving Skyrim an 8 at release, at that is because of the bugs... "oh, but wait, they'll be patched out at a later day, so I'll bump it to 9.5, oh, and then they'll add things through patches for free, that's surely worth 2 points!"

"Final review score for Skyrim 11.5 out of 10!"

GTA: Online comes to mind. Some places held off reviewing it, because of all of the problems. Some reviewed it, and then re-reviewed it when most problems were sorted. A load of testicles if you ask me.

I don't read much into reviews any more, but in my opinion, a review of a product should be of what it is like when released. If the XBO version runs smoothly, and the PS4 doesn't, I'll make note of that in either or both reviews. Heck should I take into account that the developer is going to fix a problem later.

I don't know what is exactly going on with this topic now anyways. Saw the topic last night, but didn't want to comment because of the possible fanboy war - is the XBO version of Ghosts smoother than the PS4 in the frame rate area?
#56BizzyBrm27Posted 11/13/2013 6:49:45 PM
All this new gen has shown me is you console tards will put up with anything. To accept Dead Rising at 720p/~20fps after spending $500 just on the system is so sad. Forza with no shadows, AA, AF, and a quarter of the cars and tracks.

I'd be pissed, but you guys just lap it up. It's embarrassing, but shows how our governments can get away with anything, people are lazy, stupid, and will take whatever they are fed.

My $600 PC is better than either console and I can multitask all I want, I can even Skype while gaming! Can you imagine??
#57FriedLemonPosted 11/13/2013 7:04:26 PM
Of course bribery exists in journalism in the gaming industry (which right now is a complete joke tbh), I can name 2 examples off the top of my head that blatantly screams obvious paid shill. Sessler and Mr Dorito Gate.

From the evidence people have presented in this thread looks like I'm going to have to add Polygon to that list.
#58LightthrowerPosted 11/13/2013 7:32:16 PM
Polygon works for Microsoft and they should never be trusted. Every PS exclusive gets low review scores over there just because they're not Xbox titles. The Last of Us which will probably get GoTY pretty much everywhere only got 6.5 at Polygon and this week Killzone Shadow Falls got 5.0 from Polygon......
#59CaIiber345Posted 11/13/2013 7:35:35 PM
Cowboy082288 posted...

Yeah, this.

I don't crazy reading things on twenty different game sites a day, so help me out here. I recently started reading Polygon, and they seem decent enough. No, I haven't been reading their site long enough to have an objective eye for their potential biases.

So what gaming site IS fair, unbiased, honest, and above reproach?
---
"Nothing gets her hot like seeing you do 5G barrel rolls until you nearly black out." -Elitas Travel
Official Walking Champion, GTAO Xbox 360 Board
#60CaIiber345Posted 11/13/2013 7:40:46 PM
BizzyBrm27 posted...
All this new gen has shown me is you console tards will put up with anything. To accept Dead Rising at 720p/~20fps after spending $500 just on the system is so sad. Forza with no shadows, AA, AF, and a quarter of the cars and tracks.

I'd be pissed, but you guys just lap it up. It's embarrassing, but shows how our governments can get away with anything, people are lazy, stupid, and will take whatever they are fed.

My $600 PC is better than either console and I can multitask all I want, I can even Skype while gaming! Can you imagine??

Please recommend me a good gaming laptop in the $1,000-$1,300 price range, please. I like to think that I am computer savvy enough to know what the basics are in terms of RAM and the like. I'd be starting with Minecraft and Skyrim, looking into ARMA, and I'd like to make and edit game videos using editing software. Sorry for the unsolicited question but screw it, we're here already...lol. No hard feelings if you don't reply.

I'll let that "console tards" thing slide, for now. XD
---
"Nothing gets her hot like seeing you do 5G barrel rolls until you nearly black out." -Elitas Travel
Official Walking Champion, GTAO Xbox 360 Board