Don't Expect Xbox One Or PS4 Patches To Bump Games To 1080p

#1Exodus_PrimePosted 11/14/2013 8:33:12 AM
Thereís been much fuss made about native resolution across the Xbox One and PS4, with a central conflict being the fact that Call of Duty: Ghosts is native 720p on Xbox while itís native 1080p on PlayStation.

Except when it isnít.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/11/14/dont-expect-xbox-one-or-ps4-patches-to-bump-games-to-1080p/
---
Xbox One and PlayStation 4
Because I can buy both.
#2blitz_0623Posted 11/14/2013 8:44:36 AM
This should really be common knowledge but I guess there are just people out there who would think otherwise. When you think a patch can make a game 1080p that's like saying "I can download more RAM"
---
The purpose of this signature is to allow me to post in ALL CAPS
#3Dev0311Posted 11/14/2013 8:45:10 AM
"The worst Iíve heard has been about a few framerate issues with PS4′s Ghosts (which should now be resolved) and Xbox Oneís Dead Rising, the game with hundreds of zombies onscreen at a time."

Yeah, too bad they can't fix DR3's framerate problem with a patch.
---
Take One look at the resolution and walk away...
#4Ch3wyPosted 11/14/2013 8:47:52 AM
blitz_0623 posted...
This should really be common knowledge but I guess there are just people out there who would think otherwise. When you think a patch can make a game 1080p that's like saying "I can download more RAM"

Except it's nothing like that and it's completely possible to patch a new resolution into a game.

It's not really something we should be expecting but it's by all means possible.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#5blitz_0623Posted 11/14/2013 8:51:13 AM
Ch3wy posted...
blitz_0623 posted...

Except it's nothing like that and it's completely possible to patch a new resolution into a game.

It's not really something we should be expecting but it's by all means possible.

Well obviously the download RAM is technically impossible while this one isn't so maybe I did over exaggerated. Care to explain how it's possible though?
---
The purpose of this signature is to allow me to post in ALL CAPS
#6JusticeSwordPosted 11/14/2013 8:53:10 AM
Actually you can upgrade the resolution via a patch, & even texture resolution & performance, Unreal tournament 3 did it on the ps3, & it happens on the PC all the time, most recently planetside 2 updated & received better everything, because they patched in multi core cpu optimisations at the game engine level, which can & HAS been done on consoles exactly like in UT3.

So get your facts straight in future, ok ?
---
PSN:TheDragonzord
>_> Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles HD remix please
#7Ch3wyPosted 11/14/2013 8:56:06 AM
blitz_0623 posted...
Ch3wy posted...
blitz_0623 posted...

Well obviously the download RAM is technically impossible while this one isn't so maybe I did over exaggerated. Care to explain how it's possible though?

If it's a multiplat game already designed for multiple resolutions then it could be as simple as changing some graphics settings around.

Even if it's not originally designed for 1080p I don't see what's stopping them from patching in new resolutions. It's been done before.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#8SythisTaruPosted 11/14/2013 8:56:52 AM
I downloaded a new GPU the other day and also get a patch that turned my old mouse into an SSD 256gb.
#9JusticeSwordPosted 11/14/2013 8:57:41 AM
blitz_0623 posted...
Ch3wy posted...
blitz_0623 posted...

By optimising & updating code within the engine, improving that & allocating resources efficiently can improve everything, from texture res, to HD output, to load times & net code.

If a game was using the available resources inefficiently then it is possible to fix, thus giving the game the proper level of power available from cpu gpu & ram.

skyrim, oblivion, & UT3 did this, theres more too but thats what I know of offhand.
---
#10JusticeSwordPosted 11/14/2013 9:27:04 AM
Yeah thats what I thought, disproven again so just let the topic slip into obscurity.
---