History of Launch Line-ups. Just for fun.

#11sworderPosted 11/15/2013 11:23:47 AM
cruelbird posted...
Any theories to why Sony always launches with sub-par games and then picks up the slack later on?

Cuz Sony needs that cash. They could have put The Last of Us and GT6 on PS4, but contrary to what fanboys believe, the console will sell out at launch anyway because launch titles don't really matter. So they just make millions instead by putting them on PS3
#12SupaShig(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 11:24:20 AM
cruelbird posted...
The only thing that bothers me about the PS4 launch is that Sony's 2 big first party games are dead last vs. multiplatform games that already have a bigger audience on PS3/360.

I'm expecting Forza and DR3 to do well as launch games (score-wise). MS always has cool launches, even though I didn't like the 360 when it was first released.

Any theories to why Sony always launches with sub-par games and then picks up the slack later on?

Yep, thats why I'm waiting for inFAMOUS and MLB14 to jump the gun on PS4.

As far as theories go... Maybe they just jump the gun on launches since PS2? Their good games come out not too too long after... Within the first year. That said, XBOne doesn't look like it will stand up to 360s launch either. Who knows. I'm workiong on XBox's launch right now. It looks promising
#13Special-EddPosted 11/15/2013 11:26:30 AM
bessy67 posted...
2kAddict posted...
For xbox 360 you forgot project Gotham racing 3 and geometry wars.

And wasn't Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter a launch game too? Or did that come out a bit later?

It was out a bit later. I got my console shortly after launch and distinctly remember a new review convincing me to buy the game.
---
RebelGameMaster: You can't say poop is better than french toast because some people like the taste of poop.
Proud day one adopter of PS4 and Xbox One
#14SupaShig(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 11:29:09 AM
Xbox:
Halo: Combat Evolved - 97 (All hail the king)
Dead or Alive 3 - 87
Project Gotham Racing - 85
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee - 80
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X - 78
4x4 EVO 2 - 69
AirForce Delta Storm - 61

There you have it... 97 for a launch title. I don't know if that can be beat.
#15bluedmonPosted 11/15/2013 11:40:56 AM
SupaShig posted...
Xbox:
Dead or Alive 3 - 87
4x4 EVO 2 - 69

I thought fight night round 3 was a launch title for the 360 and that got a perfect score. because you could see the sweat on the peoples faces flying as you hit them.
---
There's different kinds of caring. I care enough to be an *** but I don't care enough to consider his opinion valid to influence anyone's opinion - diablo2lod12
#16SonytendoPosted 11/15/2013 11:41:15 AM
SupaShig posted...
Xbox:
Dead or Alive 3 - 87
4x4 EVO 2 - 69

Soulcalibur beats it. 98 on metacritic. If using Gamerankings which doesn't weigh reviewers Super Mario 64 also beats Halo but metacritic puts Halo 5 points above mario.
#17Evil SquallPosted 11/15/2013 11:49:02 AM
You forgot the Gamecube!

Launch Titles:

All-Star Baseball 2002
Batman: Vengeance
Crazy Taxi
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2
Disney's Tarzan Untamed
Luigi's Mansion
Madden NFL 2002
NHL Hitz 20-02
SSX Tricky
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
Super Monkey Ball
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Wave Race: Blue Storm

Luigis Mansion, Rogue Squadron 2 and Super Monkey Ball are still some of my favorite games of all time. That system was by FAR my favorite after launch too.
---
Currently Playing: Borderlands 2 : Maya Lvl 50 - Gaige Lvl 61
It's not until you lose everything that you are free to do anything
#18shads3055Posted 11/15/2013 11:52:55 AM
look at all these games that xbox and xbox 360 and soon xbox one has at launch

and u see sony ps4 has 1 game and a bunch of multiplatform games which I think doesn't count.

so xbox wins again
#19OhHeyltsYouPosted 11/15/2013 12:02:09 PM
The PS2 launch line up will always be my favorite. Xbox wasn't too bad, but PS2 had a good variety of games at launch.
---
PSN: NaturaIBorn
#20MasteroftheArtsPosted 11/15/2013 12:12:07 PM
SupaShig posted...
Okay, I'm gonna stop right there for a minute. Really? King Kong the game? 80???? Have ratings changed that much? Or did I miss a decent launch game somehow?

Actually, you did. It was pretty epic for its time. Obviously now we look back and see it as dated because it was a hybrid ps2, xbox to early xbox 360 converted title. It reminds me alot of Turok 2: Seeds of Evil in that the graphics were impressive for their time and the style of combat was similar.
---
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."