PS4 launch has me convinced

#11NewMoonShadowPosted 11/15/2013 12:08:37 PM
badmanneil posted...
Yea i am not impressed with the ps4 launch lineup. Initially i was looking forward to Knack, but the game turned out to be a disaster. I also dont really care for killzone.

I actually bought Knack, and so far I kind of like it. It's a charming game, very much an old-school throwback.
#12NewMoonShadowPosted 11/15/2013 12:10:19 PM
InterzoneMantra posted...
archibald3 posted...
Well the interesting thing was it turned out Ghosts was running 720p on both systems !! All those side by side comparisons where people [ including reviewers] were giving the edge to the playstation was just the power of suggestion. Kind of shows you that people really dont know what they`re talking about.
On a side note i think you`ll find Microsoft tweaking the amount of resources dedicated to other processes to maximize the gaming experience if developers cant rap their heads around the new architecture - although i think they will and things will pretty much even out in that department..

Ghost will get a patch to run at 1080p on the ps4. Not sure why they shipped it with a 720p resolution.

The game was not made with PS4 and X-Box One in mind, it was made for current gen, and they decided to hastily slap ports on the Next Gen consoles so they can get more free advertising from Sony and Microsoft, and so Sony and Microsoft have a game to help sell their consoles.
#13Aone1987Posted 11/15/2013 12:12:44 PM
lol
#14TheApd_ReturnsPosted 11/15/2013 12:17:35 PM(edited)
IMProdiGY posted...
I was getting X1 even b4 the turn around. Anyway why do people think COD is not a good looking game? The game looks very good even if the engine is outdated. Honestly the detail is there and if it works why fix it at the moment.

People see BF and Crysis and love to rip the engine of COD. I just don't get it. Mario is still being played and it has basically been the same game since MB3.

but it doesn't look good, and there is no abundance of detail. i'm not even being a stereotypical CoD basher, it just looks bad for a current gen offering. a good analogy is the lazy Gun port back at 360 launch. Ghosts is the equivalent... not much upped outside of the resolution. to give you the perfect example, i have a semi-gamer friend/roommate who watched me a bit when MW2 came out and watched Ghosts on PC... he was kind of shocked by how little a 2013 game advanced over a game released 5 years ago, and he probably has the most objective viewpoint.

also, in defense of Mario, there is a spark of creativity in each game minus a few rotten apples like NSMB2. with CoD on the other hand, its kind of obvious that each game is trying to replicate/recapture the fever that defined MW2's smash online success.

that, and they just arent doing much in the realm of shooters. it's still a hitscan game, when other big shooters are moving towards physics projectiles. the maps are still largely level, when other shooters have much more vertical play. the recoil/damage models are very simplistic compared to shooters.... so on so forth, i think you see where i'm going with this. on a purely mechanical level as a shooter, it hasnt really advanced the genre any whereas you have games like Battlefield and Arma with zeroing and bullet travel.

i mean, crap even Halo 4 took more risks than Ghosts took, and Halo 4 took a few steps back from the old games. that's saying alot. also, in the realm of graphics, each Halo entry last gen (3, ODST, Reach, 4) was a noticeable step over the previous game, and 4 arguably outshines current gen Ghosts. (granted, it helps that Bungie/343 probably had much more expertise with the 360 hardware than anyone else)

on the other hand, Mario (since you're using that as an example) still pretty much remains at the pinnacle of platforming. you cant do much more with it, but when they do, its usually Mario that pioneers it.
---
XBL: MauryPov1ch ... BF4 (PC): Chollima ... Steam: callmaury
3DS: 1907-9236-7818
#15Hucast9Posted 11/15/2013 12:37:38 PM
FlyinTonite posted...
Right now, the xbox one (even at 500) is a better buy. The launch games on the ps4 are nothing special, and in the immediate future, I enjoy the outlook of the ps4, but I think in the first year the xbox one is going to be my system of choice.

Quick question for the xbox fans, how much weaker is the one to the ps4? Just curious, I'm a pc gamer so I really don't care a ton, but I would definitely like to know. Ghosts at just 720p and looking like THAT (crap imo) is a little worrisome.

What games would you recommend at launch? Do you think ryse is going to be good?

I would like Ryse to sell well, but honestly I think it's likely a rental. I'm going for COD Ghosts and Assassin's Creed 4 at launch.
#16archibald3Posted 11/15/2013 12:55:19 PM
But when the "day one thrill" has worn off - your going to be spending years with whatever box you get and it while they both offer more then the ability to play games - its pretty obvious that thats a huge focus of the Xbox One - and not so much for the Ps4.

To a large extent the gaming side is taken care of by the developers of the games themselves - so its a really smart move for the company manufacturing the console to focus on the rest of the picture - thats what people getting behind Sony early on are going to find out the hard way...
#17Dr WhoopassPosted 11/15/2013 12:59:04 PM
COD multi sounds awesome this time around. No/lessened hostnerf/lagcomp, and bigger maps for more tactical gameplay. I think I'll actually pick it up when I was gonna go BF4. BF4 seems to be a glitchy mess online tho from what I've read.
---
XBL: Bitter Kevin
PSN: B1TT3R-K3V1N
#18Dr WhoopassPosted 11/15/2013 1:00:30 PM
archibald3 posted...
But when the "day one thrill" has worn off - your going to be spending years with whatever box you get and it while they both offer more then the ability to play games - its pretty obvious that thats a huge focus of the Xbox One - and not so much for the Ps4.

To a large extent the gaming side is taken care of by the developers of the games themselves - so its a really smart move for the company manufacturing the console to focus on the rest of the picture - thats what people getting behind Sony early on are going to find out the hard way...

Word. They are already learning the repercussions of a crappy OS.
---
XBL: Bitter Kevin
PSN: B1TT3R-K3V1N
#19ACx7Posted 11/15/2013 1:04:33 PM(edited)
FlyinTonite posted...
Right now, the xbox one (even at 500) is a better buy. The launch games on the ps4 are nothing special, and in the immediate future, I enjoy the outlook of the ps4, but I think in the first year the xbox one is going to be my system of choice.

Quick question for the xbox fans, how much weaker is the one to the ps4? Just curious, I'm a pc gamer so I really don't care a ton, but I would definitely like to know. Ghosts at just 720p and looking like THAT (crap imo) is a little worrisome.

What games would you recommend at launch? Do you think ryse is going to be good?

It's probably similar to comparing something like a 7850 to a 7790. You can clearly see the difference. But it's not as big of a difference as say a 7970 vs a 7790.

But you have a gaming PC... That's all the power you should really need. Buy a console that has games you want.
#20triple sPosted 11/15/2013 1:05:29 PM
Sigarmz posted...
pro tip: cod looks bad on every system including pc.

---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22