What is the point of the power brick?

#11Thewinner14Posted 11/15/2013 6:25:37 PM
With the responses in this topic people's desktop PCs should be bursting into flames quite frequently.

It's nice because as mentioned if it goes bad you can just replace the cord/brick, and they can fit more of the important stuff in a smaller package. I doubt it has much to do with heat output as it does space and so people don't start opening up the xbox
---
6 Bible translations, 1 app: http://www.jw.org/en/online-help/jw-library/
#12assassin10133Posted 11/15/2013 8:51:01 PM
It has a power brick so you can power the console on...
#13drfirepantsPosted 11/15/2013 9:04:37 PM
Thewinner14 posted...
With the responses in this topic people's desktop PCs should be bursting into flames quite frequently.

It's nice because as mentioned if it goes bad you can just replace the cord/brick, and they can fit more of the important stuff in a smaller package. I doubt it has much to do with heat output as it does space and so people don't start opening up the xbox

PC cases and PC power supplies are designed quite differently for maximum air flow. Not to mention PC power supplies have their own dedicated fan. Power creates heat.... cheap PC power supplies or ones that are not maintained properly often do burn up frequently...not bursting into flames, but enough to destroy components.
#14DeadLock25Posted 11/15/2013 9:13:50 PM
Jedi454 posted...
Masterchief5525 posted...
Unfitwarlord23 posted...
Ritter23 posted...
System runs cooler, less overheating problems.

This.

Pretty much that and if it somehow dies you won't have to send the whole console back.

This, it wouldn't surprise me if the Ps4 overheated.

They are. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/15/what-does-ps4s-blinking-red-power-light-mean

It doesnt seem to be a serious issue, so its probably something like the HDMI thing, an isolated incident. So not a big deal really (dont get any ideas fanboys). But I highly doubt this will be an issue on X1 solely because of the larger case and the separate power brick.
---
GT: DeadLock25
FC: 0232-8879-2244 || Pokemon Y Name: Pasha || Friend Safari: Ghost: Phantump, Golurk, Lampent
#15jakisthePosted 11/16/2013 12:38:04 AM
TC, did you even think of the answer to your question at all? Obviously it's for heat issues.
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#16winkyco84Posted 11/16/2013 12:54:21 AM
You all say for heat issue but i had a power brick on the 360 and like 4 RROD which is over heating. Heres the thing with any new tech you will have issues both component wise and software wise. Thats why i never get a launch anything with game systems i always wait til spring by then i expect issues to be handled. And it will always be blown out of proportion. Because ppl never complain if its working well you will only here of the failures. Ive went through 4 360's and original ps3 still runs great. My friend still has launch 360 and went through 2 ps3's Just the luck of the draw with new tech.
---
PSN: winkyco
XBL: winkyco
#17badmanneilPosted 11/16/2013 1:02:35 AM
chickabumpbump posted...
Let me put it this way with no tech reasons

If your power unit has an error of some sort and its INSIDE the machine, you will need to send the whole console back.

If its outside, you dont need to send the whole console back

Literally the best answer ever!

Topic Closed.
---
Gamertag: Krazzy Bananas
#18loafy013Posted 11/16/2013 1:32:14 AM
badmanneil posted...
chickabumpbump posted...
Let me put it this way with no tech reasons

If your power unit has an error of some sort and its INSIDE the machine, you will need to send the whole console back.

If its outside, you dont need to send the whole console back

Literally the best answer ever!

Topic Closed.

Strangely enough, I have also heard this is why some power bricks have the removeable power cord on them. Supposedly the cord that goes from outlet to brick is the most likely piece to fail, so it is even easier just to swap out that piece without replacing the brick.
---
The ball is round, the game lasts 90 minutes. That's fact.
Everything else, is theory.
#19gdogghenriksonPosted 11/16/2013 2:20:50 AM
Ritter23 posted...
System runs cooler, less overheating problems.

RROD ring a bell?
#20Ritter23Posted 11/16/2013 8:36:22 AM
winkyco84 posted...
You all say for heat issue but i had a power brick on the 360 and like 4 RROD which is over heating. Heres the thing with any new tech you will have issues both component wise and software wise. Thats why i never get a launch anything with game systems i always wait til spring by then i expect issues to be handled. And it will always be blown out of proportion. Because ppl never complain if its working well you will only here of the failures. Ive went through 4 360's and original ps3 still runs great. My friend still has launch 360 and went through 2 ps3's Just the luck of the draw with new tech.

It is inevitable that some systems are going to over heat. The power brick on the outside of the console does help a lot to alleviate that problem. However, MS can't control how some people place there consoles, and if you put it in a closed in spot without good air flow, you still have a good chance to over heat. It is on us as a consumer to take care to position our consoles in a spot with appropriate air flow. Basically we need to use common sense which i know is hard to do now a days.