Question about backwards compatibility

#11khardboredPosted 11/16/2013 9:13:58 AM
A lot of work goes into making a game BC when the two architectures are so different.
---
if (instr(buf,sys_errlist[errno])) /* you don't see this */
#12ExempliGratiaPosted 11/16/2013 9:20:44 AM
MasterMoron posted...
The PS1 controller is compatible with Playstation 2, so if I want to play two player games it's good to have that controller. So, if Playstation 2 can use Playstation 1 controllers, why can't XBoxOne use XBox360 controllers? Wii could use GameCube and N64 controllers. Hell, even Sega Genesis could use Atari controllers. Backwards compatibility for discs is one thing, but there is no excuse for not making the controllers backwards compatible, especially when they're wireless.

Why would they need to make controllers backwards compatible? I don't recall using my original xbox controller on my 360 why should all of a sudden the 360 controller work for the One? It isn't backwards compatible in any way.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag :ShottaSteveUrkel PSN: Hollaatmyfoot PSNvita: ExempliaGratia
#13sn3akywafflesPosted 11/16/2013 11:47:29 AM
MasterMoron posted...
Okay, I know that XBox360 discs are not playable on XboxOne, which is almost reason enough not to buy it, but what about controllers and downloadable content? Can I use Xbox360 controllers with the XboxOne? What about classic arcade games that I've downloaded? Can those be transferred to the XboxOne?

I'm not buying a one to play 360 games, thats what my 360 is for
---
I'm starting realize the slight amount of ignorance on this site
#14exe67Posted 11/16/2013 11:58:30 AM
sn3akywaffles posted...
MasterMoron posted...
Okay, I know that XBox360 discs are not playable on XboxOne, which is almost reason enough not to buy it, but what about controllers and downloadable content? Can I use Xbox360 controllers with the XboxOne? What about classic arcade games that I've downloaded? Can those be transferred to the XboxOne?

I'm not buying a one to play 360 games, thats what my 360 is for

This. Sure, BC is nice, but I'm not paying $500 to play old games. If and when I want to go back to them, I'll still have my old 360 to play on!

TC, it's probably worth mentioning since nobody else has said it, but PS4 also lacks backwards compatibility. This isn't just something to hold against Xbone. Both companies have mentioned streaming of old games, but it's not implemented yet on either.
#15Yuri_LowelIPosted 11/16/2013 12:01:13 PM
Izraeil posted...
Dude, you people need to move on and I don't understand why that's even hard for you.
360 didn't even have that many games worth playing anyway.
XB1 is the present and the future.

XB1 will be lucky to have half as good games as 360. Or sell half as much.
---
http://k09.kn3.net/1256263BF.gif
#16MasterMoron(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2013 8:24:15 PM
PS4 may not be backwards compatible, but WiiU is.
#17ave1Posted 11/17/2013 2:11:23 PM
Wii U got it right. I'm still disappointed about the whole BC thing no matter what anyone says.
---
If a tree falls in a forest and you hear it, but your eyes are closed, how do you know it's not just fifty porcupines sliding down a hill?
#18jpraelsterPosted 11/17/2013 2:30:46 PM
ave1 posted...
Wii U got it right. I'm still disappointed about the whole BC thing no matter what anyone says.

The only thing wii u got right
#19scoobydoobydontPosted 11/17/2013 2:35:27 PM
ITT, corporate apologists who are okay with tens of thousands of games and dlcs having no future in the Xbox and PS ecosystems because "lol, thats not why I buy next gen lol".

"Gamers".
---
"I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." - Charles Bukowski
http://i.imgur.com/Z6wIShE.jpg
#20HeracylostPosted 11/17/2013 2:45:04 PM
Izraeil posted...
Dude, you people need to move on and I don't understand why that's even hard for you.
360 didn't even have that many games worth playing anyway.
XB1 is the present and the future.

360 had some great titles to begin with, many titles worth playing... what are you one of those dudebros that thinks all gaming revolves around COD.

And no the Xbone is not the present or future of gaming. It's about 3 steps back in the evolution.... have fun.