Is there going to be buttons on the XBoxOne?

#1MasterMoronPosted 11/16/2013 8:41:32 AM
While at first I thought it was kind of cool that the XBox360 had no buttons and instead you turned it on and ejected the disc tray just by touching it with your hand, now I'm no longer sure I like it. I was inserting Grand Theft Auto V into my XBox360 last week and my hand brushed over the eject button while I was inserting the disc. So, the tray closed when the disc wasn't on the tray properly. Fortunately, the disc tray wasn't strong enough to snap the disc in half, and it gave up and ejected it when it wouldn't go in. But, it left several scratches on my disc. It still plays, but damn, when you think about it, having the disc eject just by touching it can really cause problems with no actual benefit. Are they going back to buttons for XBoxOne?
#2Sirhc5509Posted 11/16/2013 8:49:20 AM
No tray on the xbox one so no worries of that happening atleast. Otherwise it should function the same as a button I would imagine.
#3bessy67Posted 11/16/2013 8:52:06 AM(edited)
I don't know for sure but they look like touch buttons, not mechanical ones. But yeah, like the above poster said it's slot-loading and there is no tray.
---
"Immigrants. That's all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#4MasterMoron(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2013 8:54:14 AM
What is slot loading? Is that like the Wii how you just insert the disc in front and it grabs it?
#5ACx7Posted 11/16/2013 8:55:06 AM
MasterMoron posted...
What is slot loading? Is that like the Wii how you just insert the disc in front and it grabs it?

Yes
#6VobeDarkElfPosted 11/16/2013 8:55:48 AM
I have had that happen with my 360 a number of times. It's a real freak out moment. And you don't even need to 'accidently' press the eject button. The tray will retract automatically if it's open too long. The main thing that happens to me is I open the try to remove the current disk, put it back in it's box, get the new disk out of it's box, and right as I am dropping it into the tray, the tray retracts and bites my disk.

It is a good thing that all consoles seem to be eliminating the mechanical tray.
#7MasterMoron(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2013 9:04:43 AM
Well, it's good to know that the XBoxOne fixed that problem. I didn't even realize that it would close by itself like that. I think it is actually possible to eject the disc before the tray closes if you're quick enough. I imagine if you act quick enough and immediately touch the eject panel when it starts closing you might be able to get the disc out without it scratching it, but yeah, that's a serious design flaw.
#8JordansgstringPosted 11/16/2013 11:10:05 AM
Blu-ray are a lot more difficult to scratch as well
#9khardboredPosted 11/16/2013 11:13:09 AM
Jordansgstring posted...

I have had the exact opposite experience with BR discs. If mine get the tiniest of smudge or scratch, it's skip city. It isn't my player either as it happened in a brand spanking new player.
---
if (instr(buf,sys_errlist[errno])) /* you don't see this */
#10JordansgstringPosted 11/16/2013 11:40:00 AM
khardbored posted...
Jordansgstring posted...

I have had the exact opposite experience with BR discs. If mine get the tiniest of smudge or scratch, it's skip city. It isn't my player either as it happened in a brand spanking new player.

Really? When I had a ps3 the discs got abused off the kids and were still like new. I was quite impressed.