So my monitor has VGA and DVI-D, but not HDMI. Is it possible for me to run XB1?

#11CapwnDPosted 11/16/2013 3:05:58 PM(edited)
No special cables will get around the HDCP issues.

But the Xbox One won't use HDCP for gaming, so you would be able to game but not watch TV or Netflix or anything with movies.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/08/05/xbox-one-will-not-use-hdcp-for-gaming/

IIRC the 360 doesn't use HDCP for gaming either, and the PS3 does which is why it was hard to do video capture on PS3. I'm not positive about that, but I believe that's what I remember hearing from the podcasters who stream.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#12Szurkulet(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2013 3:22:02 PM
CapwnD posted...

But the Xbox One won't use HDCP for gaming, so you would be able to game but not watch TV or Netflix or anything with movies.

IIRC the 360 doesn't use HDCP for gaming either, and the PS3 does which is why it was hard to do video capture on PS3. I'm not positive about that, but I believe that's what I remember hearing from the podcasters who stream.

I use the Microsoft VGA kit for my 360, and never had issues viewing any type of media. It's good to know that it wont restrict gaming, but all the adapters would feel like a waste if full use of the system would have to wait until I upgrade everything else. I guess I'll pick up my system and not open it unless I can think of something, since Gamestop allows returns until January 15th. Big thanks to you guys for helping to clarify some things.
---
What a charming prospect - the offer of oral copulation in exchange for pizza. If only the battle of Trafalgar was won in such a fashion. - Matt Berry/Snuff Box
#13CapwnDPosted 11/16/2013 3:26:48 PM(edited)
Szurkulet posted...
CapwnD posted...

I use the Microsoft VGA kit for my 360, and never had issues viewing any type of media. It's good to know that it wont restrict gaming, but all the adapters would feel like a waste if full use of the system would have to wait until I upgrade everything else. I guess I'll pick up my system and not open it unless I can think of something, since Gamestop allows returns until January 15th. Big thanks to you guys for helping to clarify some things.

VGA wasn't the same, your DVD movies (and probalby netflix too) were only displayed in 480p, not 1080p or 720p. Only with HDMI would movies be 1080p.

That said, I'm not sure how the HD DVD drive affected things, since that was before there was HDMI on the Xbox 360.

Good luck, hope you get it worked out!
---
#14Szurkulet(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2013 3:28:48 PM
CapwnD posted...
Szurkulet posted...
CapwnD posted...

VGA wasn't the same, your DVD movies (and probalby netflix too) were only displayed in 480p, not 1080p or 720p. Only with HDMI would movies be 1080p.

That said, I'm not sure how the HD DVD drive affected things, since that was before there was HDMI on the Xbox 360.

Good luck, hope you get it worked out!

Thanks. I honestly don't watch many movies, so I can't comment on that. I know that Netflix was definitely 720p at least. I have the 360 model that came out before they introduced HDMI, if that matters.
---
What a charming prospect - the offer of oral copulation in exchange for pizza. If only the battle of Trafalgar was won in such a fashion. - Matt Berry/Snuff Box
#15CapwnDPosted 11/16/2013 3:37:29 PM
Maybe that was just for DVDs then, where they would only display in 480p. It was an anti piracy thing.
---
#16CapwnDPosted 11/16/2013 5:21:18 PM
Szurkulet, did you see shogo10's suggestion in that other topic?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/67849323#13

You could use a DSS or Astro Mixamp. it would cost a little more, but you would have that awesome surround sound when using headphones, and you could disable the simulated surround sound when using it to plug into your home sound system. (you'd want to disable it, because it's simulated for headphone use, not for speakers and it probably wouldn't sound right)
---
#17Szurkulet(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2013 1:03:34 PM
CapwnD posted...
Szurkulet, did you see shogo10's suggestion in that other topic?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/67849323#13

You could use a DSS or Astro Mixamp. it would cost a little more, but you would have that awesome surround sound when using headphones, and you could disable the simulated surround sound when using it to plug into your home sound system. (you'd want to disable it, because it's simulated for headphone use, not for speakers and it probably wouldn't sound right)

That's an interesting idea. I'll keep it in mind while I look out for some black friday/cyber monday deals later in the month.
---
#18ILikesCheesePosted 11/17/2013 1:48:32 PM
And here I thought dinosaurs were extinct.

:D
---
Beware Microsoft's Annoying Defense Force And Nonsensical Brigade Of Yappy Salespeople!