I still think xbox one could of gone all digital with success

#41BDJaycePosted 11/17/2013 8:37:26 AM
With the way the Xbox originally was.. buying the physical disk was only the start. You'd then have to take it home, put it in, install it to the hard drive or the cloud or whatever. Then you'd have to have the internet on nearly every second you played it.

Then it was once every 24 hours..... then it was "aww to hell with this people are complaining and we rushed the gun with poor advertisement on this feature.. let's just begrudgingly remove it."

The "physical games" aspect is taking the game, putting it in your console, and playing it off the disc. No internet required, no installing required, none of that.

The "Digital Games" aspect is installing it and putting the disc in its case and playing.

When people were complaining, the ones complaining were the "Majority".

Now people are complaining about the lack of the "Digital Games" and they are suddenly the "Majority".

People need to accept that the 'vocal' are usually the minority of gamers no matter which side they are on.
---
GT: JamesBolton0723
#42nizam216Posted 11/17/2013 8:54:06 AM
@bob15x - That's the point. There are some here who believe that the Xbox One could implement an all digital Steam-like model, me and others here are being the voice of reason telling how it would end in disaster. One of the reason is that most people have subpar internet which would make downloading a 39/39+ GB game a 3-5+ day process. I do not have slowish internet (35/12) but I understand that I am in the minority. You do know that going all digital requires downloading a game and having no physical disc option right?

Given a choice between downloading a 40+ GB game and given a 40+ GB physical disc, the overwhelmingly vast majority would choose to buy the physical disk unless they live in S Korea. This is why Microsoft going all digital on the Xbox One would have been a disaster.
#43bob15xPosted 11/17/2013 9:21:49 AM
nizam216 posted...
@bob15x - That's the point. There are some here who believe that the Xbox One could implement an all digital Steam-like model, me and others here are being the voice of reason telling how it would end in disaster. One of the reason is that most people have subpar internet which would make downloading a 39/39+ GB game a 3-5+ day process. I do not have slowish internet (35/12) but I understand that I am in the minority. You do know that going all digital requires downloading a game and having no physical disc option right?

Given a choice between downloading a 40+ GB game and given a 40+ GB physical disc, the overwhelmingly vast majority would choose to buy the physical disk unless they live in S Korea. This is why Microsoft going all digital on the Xbox One would have been a disaster.

its not the point. Every retail game was available on physical disk, just like the ps4.

the difference, the drm was on the disk for the ps4. ON the xbox one the drm was on the console.

and to the previous poster, there was never any proof you had to be on the console every second, dont make things up.

so all of you going on about internet and how long it would take to download is irrelevant. All you had to do was buy the disk.

so pros and cons.

PS4 way.

Pro
drm on disk, do not have to be online.
Can lend disk to friend
Can sell anywhere

Con
If you lose your disk, or damage it, you have to buy again.

Xbox one
Pro
Do not need disk to play
Lending available, do not have to physical give disk to person, great if live far away
Can sell all games, not just physical disk
If you dmg disk, lose it, you Never have to buy again, ever.
Can make copies of disk

Con
Can only sell to specific retailers
lending could be annoying
have to be online for 30 secs every 24 hours. (most people will have internet anyways. I have never been down for more than 6 hours, ever. Not as big a deal as people make it out to be
#44nizam216Posted 11/17/2013 9:41:08 AM(edited)
bob15x posted...
nizam216 posted...

its not the point. Every retail game was available on physical disk, just like the ps4.

the difference, the drm was on the disk for the ps4. ON the xbox one the drm was on the console.

and to the previous poster, there was never any proof you had to be on the console every second, dont make things up.

so all of you going on about internet and how long it would take to download is irrelevant. All you had to do was buy the disk.

so pros and cons.

PS4 way.

Pro
drm on disk, do not have to be online.
Can lend disk to friend
Can sell anywhere

Con
If you lose your disk, or damage it, you have to buy again.

Xbox one
Pro
Do not need disk to play
Lending available, do not have to physical give disk to person, great if live far away
Can sell all games, not just physical disk
If you dmg disk, lose it, you Never have to buy again, ever.
Can make copies of disk

Con
Can only sell to specific retailers
lending could be annoying
have to be online for 30 secs every 24 hours. (most people will have internet anyways. I have never been down for more than 6 hours, ever. Not as big a deal as people make it out to be

If you believe all of that damage control BS Microsoft spewed I have a bridge to sell you.
#45Masterchief5525Posted 11/17/2013 9:45:16 AM
angealfire posted...
Yeah but why alienate the people who like physical media?

---
i7-4770k | AMD Radeon HD 7990 | 8gb G.Skill 1600mhz | 2TB WD HDD | Asus Z87-A
#46TreGoodaPosted 11/17/2013 2:58:19 PM
Masterchief5525 posted...
angealfire posted...
Yeah but why alienate the people who like physical media?

They didn't, you could still buy physical media and download it.

The backlash against the original plans for the One is the dumbest thing I've seen in the history of gaming. Too many people don't understand the industry and the loudmouths are the most uninformed consumers across any market. It's frustrating to see progress put on hold.
---
"Get a life! What? I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives."