Great Phil Spencer interview addressing major XONE concerns

#21TwistedxL3G3NDPosted 11/17/2013 10:37:47 AM
scoobydoobydont posted...
DeadLock25 posted...
False info like what?

Trolls think cloud processing is all a hoax... while they patiently await entire games being streamed in HD, with playable latency on PS4.

It's like they're trolling themselves.
---
Hey guise look at my PC specs I'm sure you all care!
#22nizam216Posted 11/17/2013 10:53:27 AM(edited)
DeadLock25 posted...
nizam216 posted...

If you have a high tolerance for BS, Google 'Phil Spencer cloud' and see the pathetic damage control PR he speaks without shame.

I did. Several of them came up..all of which are on the first two pages of Google.

“Offloading capabilities that take time and resources from your local box will allow it to do more,” Spencer said." - That is a general statement and is true if you have more than two brain cells. Anyone can understand that offloading processes that are NOT latency sensitive would subtract from the load put on the local hardware. As to how much this would help might be debatable, but I dont see how that means he is a liar.

You know what, you are absolutely right. I got Phil Spencer confused with Phil Harrison, who swears that teh almighty cloud will ensure that Xbox One owners will not have to worry about inferior graphics. Carry on.
"Both Kinect and Cloud as it relates to indie has been really interesting," Spencer says. "If you're a two-person studio, you're probably not going to invest in a server farm. You won't know how many to buy or what the scale is going to look like. It's really hard for those guys. What we're able to do with Cloud, is say, 'Here are 300,000 servers. You don't need to tell us what that demand looks like. You don't even have to know.' We will handle the scaling capability on the backend. That has been one of the more interesting uses." This is another one. Again, if you know that cloud servers are utilized with an "on demand" basis, then you can also clearly see that this is true. If you didnt know that, the Titanfall developer article should make it very clear that this is so.

Spencer also talked about three main uses for Xbox One’s cloud services at launch.
1)The first is to provide dedicated servers for Call of Duty: Ghosts, codenamed “ThunderHead.” In this case the cloud provides the developer with a low-cost online environment on a consistent basis. In the future there will be many games taking advantage of those dedicated servers.

2)Forza Motorsport 5 will save the information of friends in the cloud, then in the game it’ll give you the feeling of playing with them, by giving the AI the same playing style.

3)The third is giving developers the ability to shift part of the computing from the CPU to the cloud. The CPUs of the cloud do the computations and then send them back to the Xbox One that displays the results locally. That improves performance. Millions of dollars have been invested in the Cloud and Spencer thinks it will be very important for the future growth of the gaming industry.
As with the first one, I dont see how any of this is false. Offsite computation is possible, and certainly feasible. Whether it will improve enough to be noticible or even free up room for graphical improvements (which he does not indicate is actually done in the cloud) is questionable. Very questionable. But again, it does not make the whole concept of cloud computing somehow invalid which is what his statement(s) are about.

Also, since when is PR a bad thing? Its his job to promote the console, I am not sure why anyone is surprised that he is saying good things and possibly exaggerating it. Anyone who knows his position should be capable of understanding to take everything he says about "possibilities" with a grain of salt, but again I do not understand how any of what he said is false.

You know what, you are absolutely right. I got Phil Spencer confused with Phil Harrison, who swears that the power of teh almighty cloudz will ensure that Xbox One games do not have inferior graphics by making them 'better.' goo.gl/wcJNTT
#23SupaflyGibson(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2013 5:51:15 PM
Bumping for people who may not have seen it earlier.
---
gt: For Spartaa