Poll: MSFT was right to keep using AA batteries for controllers

#31PannerPosted 11/19/2013 12:59:43 AM(edited)
Ryan-06 posted...
Panner posted...
Or they could have used the internal battery that Nintendo uses in the Pro Controller that lasts roughly 80 hours.

WAT? 80 hrs?

Yes. The WiiU pro controllers battery lasts about 80 hours. So if Microsoft had used the same battery, then with the additional rumble features of the X1 pad i guess you could get 50-60 hours out of it.
But Microsoft wanted the added revenue of the play and charge kit.
---
Gamertag : Steel Hunter
NNID : SteelHunter PSN Firegor
#32Golden MavenPosted 11/19/2013 1:03:31 AM
I believe so. You can easily buy AA batteries in bulk, and they're not as damaging to the environment. I know people like to make an issue out of nothing, though.

There was a time people would complain about inaccessible batteries, would forces you to change the entire controller if the battery goes bad.
#33jpraelsterPosted 11/19/2013 1:08:12 AM
Panner posted...
Ryan-06 posted...
Panner posted...
Or they could have used the internal battery that Nintendo uses in the Pro Controller that lasts roughly 80 hours.

WAT? 80 hrs?

Yes. The WiiU pro controllers battery lasts about 80 hours. So if Microsoft had used the same battery, then with the additional rumble features of the X1 pad i guess you could get 50-60 hours out of it.
But Microsoft wanted the added revenue of the play and charge kit.

I was gonna buy the play and charge kit until I saw that rechargable batteries were cheaper
#34OzymandiasIVPosted 11/19/2013 1:17:31 AM
Built-in battery is so much more convenient. I bought a very cheap little stand that held two controllers and came with two mini-usb cords that fit right into the port when the controller's placed on the stand. When I'm done playing, I just plop the controller on the stand and let it charge. Lose a charge from extended play? Swap out controllers.

You don't even need something like that. Just get some lengthy cables and always plug it in when finished, or plug it in while playing to preserve the charge. Someone itt complained about the short cable on the PS4 controller, which I understand now uses micro-usb. I can't tell you how many micro- and mini-usb cords I have of various lengths. So damn many things come with them now-a-days that it shouldn't be an issue finding a long cord to use, or even finding a cheap on online.

The convenience of plugging it in to a dedicated cord is so much better than swapping out and recharging AAs.

And whoever said that you have to buy a new PS3 controller if the battery goes kaput is *!*WRONG*!* You can purchase replacements for about $5 and install them yourself with ease.
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
FC: 2020-0946-8183; PM me to add. Registered AC Time Traveler.
#35_Elite_Bushido_Posted 11/19/2013 1:59:12 AM
you only need the proper USB cord for it to work as a fully functional wired controller...
---
$ony Ponie$ and trolls- http://tinyurl.com/lalpn7d
PS4, Mediocrity awaits. --------- FC: 0834-1795-7959
#36newb_dawgPosted 11/19/2013 2:20:07 AM
It always surprises me that people don't already own rechargeable AA batteries. Wireless controllers have been around since the first NES.

It seems like people on this site have almost no interest in technology. Has no one ever thought, "I'm tired of buying batteries. There must be a better way". In the last ten years
---
GT: Tony Blac
PSN: TonyBlac
#37ACx7Posted 11/19/2013 2:41:00 AM
rubberGasket posted...
They should have made the play and charge kit standard. No internal battery like Sony though.

This
#38SolisPosted 11/19/2013 3:55:54 AM
scoobydoobydont posted...
jeffhardyrox posted...
As much as there are pros of having removable power, there are just as many cons, if not more these days.

There is not a single con to rechargeable AAs. Not one.

Aside from clutter, inconvenience, charge capacity, weight, and cost.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#39OzymandiasIVPosted 11/19/2013 3:58:08 AM
newb_dawg posted...
It always surprises me that people don't already own rechargeable AA batteries. Wireless controllers have been around since the first NES.

It seems like people on this site have almost no interest in technology. Has no one ever thought, "I'm tired of buying batteries. There must be a better way". In the last ten years

They have. And rechargeable AAs aren't as convenient as internal rechargeable batteries, which most modern electronic gadgets come with. How can you say people have no interest in technology when everyone against using AAs for these controllers would rather have the far more convenient and technologically advanced internal rechargeable lithium-ion batteries?
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
FC: 2020-0946-8183; PM me to add. Registered AC Time Traveler.
#40LapanuiPosted 11/19/2013 4:09:48 AM
I use AA rechargeable batteries and battery packs. I keep some on charge while I use the others. I've had them for years.

Saves me having to go out and buy a second controller.

I also thought people preferred to have choices than being forced to use one thing. Isn't that what the PS4 controller does, forces you to use the internal battery and doesn't give you the option to use rechargeable battery packs or rechargeable AA's?
---
GT: Zichu PSN: Zichu NNID: Zichu1