Sorry, I cannot take IGN's Crimson Dragon review seriously

#1icewolf74Posted 11/18/2013 8:52:53 PM
The guy's criticisms for the game are the same features that Panzer Dragon and Panzer Dragoon Zwei had, and both of those games are classics. I mean, did he miss the memo that Crimson Dragon is a spiritual successor to the Panzer Dragoon series? Panzer Dragoon is an on-rails shooter, which he criticizes in Crimson Dragon; Panzer Dragoon required you to fly around boss fights, which he criticizes in Crimson Dragon; Panzer Dragoon had pretty crappy graphics for its time, which he also criticizes in Crimson Dragon. The guy obviously doesn't like this style of gameplay, so why was he in charge of reviewing it?

The only thing I can agree with him though are the timed missions, which ultimately detracts HUGE from the game for me and why I will not be getting this. I can only imagine the frustration of dying by running out of time while you are about to beat a boss and having to repeat the boss fight over and over again. That was really dumb to make the game's missions timed.

What do you guys think? Are you going to let IGN's review detract you from buying this game?
#2ElPolloDiablo87Posted 11/18/2013 8:54:15 PM
Opinions!
---
Madre de Dios, es El Pollo Diablo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28WrhpTzQA
#3ShuraYukihimePosted 11/18/2013 8:54:30 PM
I don't let reviews influence my purchases unless they point out actual "flaws" in a game. Something like a broken save system or mechanics that don't function as advertised.
---
I'm searching the city for sci fi wasabi.
#4SAMCROftwPosted 11/18/2013 8:54:54 PM
Denial
---
Xbox fan since 2003. Tired of Microsoft's bull. LOLXbone.
Mass Effect TaliShep.... still a better love story than Twilight.
#5BigLongDownerPosted 11/18/2013 8:55:23 PM
Nope. I'll be picking this game up for my gf's daughter when we get our system in February. When she was watching the E3 event with me, her eyes lit up when she saw the trailer for Crimson Dragon. I might play it but it's mainly for her.
---
GT - The Grunge Guy
#6Logical_OnePosted 11/18/2013 8:57:50 PM
I firmly believe that all games should be reviewed by the person in the office who likes the genre/series the most. The only people truly interested in buying niche games like CD (or RTS/TBS/Point and Click games on PC etc...) are fans of the genre.

Just IMO, of course.
---
Gamefaqs....the land where pokemon is the holy grail and final fantasy is God himself--Raptorleon3
#7Leventhan26Posted 11/18/2013 8:59:10 PM
ShuraYukihime posted...
I don't let reviews influence my purchases unless they point out actual "flaws" in a game. Something like a broken save system or mechanics that don't function as advertised.

This. People should watch reviews so they can learn more about the game and its features and then make an informed decision whether or not the game looks interesting to them and then pick it up if it does.
#8icewolf74(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2013 9:00:56 PM
Logical_One posted...
I firmly believe that all games should be reviewed by the person in the office who likes the genre/series the most. The only people truly interested in buying niche games like CD (or RTS/TBS/Point and Click games on PC etc...) are fans of the genre.

Just IMO, of course.

I totally agree with you. It's like having someone review a new flavor of soda, when they don't even like soda in the first place. I really do not understand why this guy reviewed this game and therefore marks the game down for no apparent reason except his hatred for the genre. I will wait for other reviews before making my final decision whether I buy this game or not; I might warm up to it once its out and leave this as a summer drought purchase. :)
#9BigLongDownerPosted 11/18/2013 9:01:13 PM
Logical_One posted...

Just IMO, of course.

I agree. I'm not a fan of RTS-style games, and if I happened to be a reviewer I'd be very bias. The ONLY way I think a game should get a terrible rating is if it's a technical mess and it's unplayable.
---
GT - The Grunge Guy
#10HayoamPosted 11/18/2013 9:03:54 PM
icewolf74 posted...
I mean, did he miss the memo that Crimson Dragon is a spiritual successor to the Panzer Dragoon series? -

Crimson Dragon is not a spiritual successor to Panzer Dragon They are Deveolped by two different companies and different people.