Sorry, I cannot take IGN's Crimson Dragon review seriously

#21enigma2274Posted 11/18/2013 8:19:01 PM
Timed boss battles has turned me off of this game alone. Is knock off a few points just for that.
---
Playing: Killzone Shadowfall, Knack, AC4
PSN ID: enigma2288
#22Logical_OnePosted 11/18/2013 8:20:56 PM
wrightOBJECTION posted...
You can't defend crappy graphics by saying that the old games had them. It's a launch game, it's meant to show off what a new console can do. DR3 may not be the prettiest game, but at least it has a s*** ton of zombies on screen at once. What is this game bringing to the table?

It's a $20 XBLA LAUNCH game. People forgive indie games for all sorts of crap--what's the difference?

I'm not saying the game is good, however, indie games are--usually--niche (trust me if they weren't niche then EA or Ubisoft etc... would absolutely fund the game); CD is no different.
---
Gamefaqs....the land where pokemon is the holy grail and final fantasy is God himself--Raptorleon3
#23sworderPosted 11/18/2013 8:24:19 PM
lol at people still taking reviews seriously

if I took movie reviews seriously, I would never watch movies in my life. and yet I enjoy tons of movies that have 20s and 30s in rottentomatoes

so why are game reviews different? why if it's a 50 do you suddenly think you can't enjoy it? it's so ****ing dumb when I see someone saying they will cancel their pre-order because a game didn't score as expected. you can still enjoy it, gamers need to stop being sheep
#24SunDevil77Posted 11/18/2013 8:26:30 PM
sworder posted...

if I took movie reviews seriously, I would never watch movies in my life. and yet I enjoy tons of movies that have 20s and 30s in rottentomatoes

Seriously. Movies like Man of Steel sitting at ~50%...really? Wasn't the best superhero movie...but it was a very well made film.
---
Hell, it's about time.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#25wrightOBJECTIONPosted 11/18/2013 8:27:08 PM
Logical_One posted...
wrightOBJECTION posted...
You can't defend crappy graphics by saying that the old games had them. It's a launch game, it's meant to show off what a new console can do. DR3 may not be the prettiest game, but at least it has a s*** ton of zombies on screen at once. What is this game bringing to the table?

It's a $20 XBLA LAUNCH game. People forgive indie games for all sorts of crap--what's the difference?

I'm not saying the game is good, however, indie games are--usually--niche (trust me if they weren't niche then EA or Ubisoft etc... would absolutely fund the game); CD is no different.

Indie games are usually made by inexperienced teams of around 2-10. This is a game that's being published my Microsoft, I'm sure it has a slightly bigger staff.
Are we seriously defending bad graphics? Ignore it if you want, there are plenty of good games with mediocre graphics, but you can't just ignore this stuff.
---
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lg6jbrMaWI1qedjl3o1_500.gif
3DS FC: 5343-8703-6085
#26xtacbPosted 11/18/2013 8:28:25 PM
reviews said theres only like 7 stages, and you basically just repeat these over and over

and that you pass and go on to the next stage no matter how few enemies you kill

hmmm sounds..boring...
---
Do you really wanna live in a world without Coca-Cola?
#27sworderPosted 11/18/2013 8:29:23 PM
SunDevil77 posted...
sworder posted...

Seriously. Movies like Man of Steel sitting at ~50%...really? Wasn't the best superhero movie...but it was a very well made film.

Agreed. I always skim over the reviews before watching a movie but I have never decided to watch something else just because it scored low. If it scores 90+ then great, makes me excited to go see it. If it didn't, doesn't really matter
#28dutch2099Posted 11/19/2013 4:32:42 AM
icewolf74 posted...
Logical_One posted...
I firmly believe that all games should be reviewed by the person in the office who likes the genre/series the most. The only people truly interested in buying niche games like CD (or RTS/TBS/Point and Click games on PC etc...) are fans of the genre.

Just IMO, of course.

I totally agree with you. It's like having someone review a new flavor of soda, when they don't even like soda in the first place. I really do not understand why this guy reviewed this game and therefore marks the game down for no apparent reason except his hatred for the genre. I will wait for other reviews before making my final decision whether I buy this game or not; I might warm up to it once its out and leave this as a summer drought purchase. :)

I don't think that works either. It's less likely that the review will be unbiased and that the reviewer will be fair and impartial. They might let things slide just because they are a superfan of whatever game they are reviewing. The best way would be the way EGM used to do things with 4 reviewers on a game (even two would be fine). This way you get the most well rounded, informative, and basically fair review you can.
---
To quote a famous philosopher, "it". That is all
#29EvilTrashPosted 11/19/2013 5:45:28 AM(edited)
Revisionist history at its finest. Panzer Dragoon was highly praised for its graphics in 1995. The on-rails shooter genre was also considered to be much more viable then than it is now. It came on the heels of the massive success of Star Fox, but being a next-gen (Saturn) launch title it made new leaps in graphics, art and soundtrack that earned it heaps of praise, in addition to being a revolutionary title in its story presentation at the time, being considered a launching pad to a new era in video games where stories would have movie like presentations. If you can't see the difference between the culture surrounding that game's release and this one, and how that could effect the way each game is viewed in the context of their place in the gaming pantheon, I don't know what to say to you.
#30Jian_ZiPosted 11/19/2013 7:13:21 AM
xtacb posted...
reviews said theres only like 7 stages, and you basically just repeat these over and over

and that you pass and go on to the next stage no matter how few enemies you kill

hmmm sounds..boring...

That sounds exactly like the first two Panzer Dragoon games, and they are definitely not boring. Those only had seven stages, and you still would beat them even if you didn't kill many enemies as long as you stayed alive.