Balmer says to save Xbox in his farewell speech.

#161CaIiber345Posted 12/7/2013 3:20:13 AM
Cowboy082288 posted...
SoulTrapper posted...
Cowboy082288 posted...

Ok well I think Sony will sale off the playstation brand. I have no idea when that will happen. It could be 40 years from now. If it ever does happen though I was right, if it don't happen, well just keep waiting indefinitely.

What you are ignoring with this statement is the pretty decent amount of facts given in this topic backing up the claim that the viability of the xbox division is being questioned because it loses $2 billion a year and at the same time the playstation division is the biggest moneymaker for Sony.

But besides ignoring reality and facts, you're claim is good to go.

What I'm saying that for some reason no one is grasping is that for this to have any meaning you have to put a date on it. Remember over a decade ago when people speculated that Apple would stop making computers? Well that rumor was wrong, it did not happen.

I have no desire to endlessly debate this. I think it's absurd to think MS would sell off the xbox division within the next 5 years.

I'm just asking that those of you who think this will happen to say when it will happen by. Will it happen within 1 year, 2 years? If you don't say when you think it will happen by then it is completely meaningless speculation.

If you say it will happen within 10 years.... well that is such a long time horizon in the tech world that it is pointless to really talk about.

I understand though, saying when you think it will happen by requires putting a little bit of reputation on the line.

If I say it's going to rain tomorrow, but I don't say what time I think it will rain, should we stop discussing it because it's "meaningless speculation"?

If the only reason you have for saying it's not going to happen is because random strangers on the Internet can't give you a guess on when it will happen, wtf are YOU doing in the conversation?

I'll venture a guess, for ***** and giggles. If Microsoft sells, it will be in 2015 or 2016. They will give themselves through Christmas 2014 to see how Year One goes, especially if Halo is released. If hardware sales and Live subscriptions pale in comparison to Sony's numbers, I expect Microsoft to seriously consider the move and spend 2015 hashing out details with potential buyers.

As vocal as I have been about my dislike for Xbox One (I still love and play my 360), I do not want Microsoft to sell the Xbox brand. I suppose I prefer the devil I know to the devil I don't. The last thing we need and want for the console industry is for some outfit like EA to buy a console brand and run it into the ground. At least Live is viable and the exclusives are there for Xbox to be an appealing console to folks.
---
Playstation 4, Xbox 360
"Power is inert without action or choice." - Paarthurnax
#162Ryan-06Posted 12/7/2013 3:23:37 AM
TheLeafChild posted...
Bing Rewards, ironically, I use them to get free Playstation Plus subs

Nice move! ^_^d

Could you PM me one please? jk
---
0=Rei. Pronounced Rei-six. Born New England. Lived in Japan. Citizen of Earth. Want to move to Canada.
http://i.minus.com/is8qElkJbGXle.gif
#163SoulTrapperPosted 12/7/2013 3:55:40 AM
Cowboy082288 posted...

What I'm saying that for some reason no one is grasping is that for this to have any meaning you have to put a date on it. Remember over a decade ago when people speculated that Apple would stop making computers? Well that rumor was wrong, it did not happen.

I have no desire to endlessly debate this. I think it's absurd to think MS would sell off the xbox division within the next 5 years.

I'm just asking that those of you who think this will happen to say when it will happen by. Will it happen within 1 year, 2 years? If you don't say when you think it will happen by then it is completely meaningless speculation.

If you say it will happen within 10 years.... well that is such a long time horizon in the tech world that it is pointless to really talk about.

I understand though, saying when you think it will happen by requires putting a little bit of reputation on the line.

Saying when it will happen is anyone's guess.
It has nothing to do with reputation, it just makes no sense.

You're asking people to stop using facts and resort to guessing to be taken seriously, that by itself is a pretty silly question.

The facts are clear: there has been talk about selling of the xbox division for months, by board members and major shareholders, by the possible next CEO and by a Microsoft co-founder.
Ballmer himself asks in his farewell speech to save the xbox division.

The talks about spinning off/getting rid of the xbox division isn't speculation, this is reality and something the higher ups are clearly taking into consideration.

Speculation would be naming a date or a timespan as to when this will happen.
Of course it's easier to try and create a different argument instead of trying to disprove the facts.
#164kyncaniPosted 12/7/2013 4:09:16 AM(edited)
Cowboy082288 posted...
SoulTrapper posted...
Cowboy082288 posted...

Ok well I think Sony will sale off the playstation brand. I have no idea when that will happen. It could be 40 years from now. If it ever does happen though I was right, if it don't happen, well just keep waiting indefinitely.

What you are ignoring with this statement is the pretty decent amount of facts given in this topic backing up the claim that the viability of the xbox division is being questioned because it loses $2 billion a year and at the same time the playstation division is the biggest moneymaker for Sony.

But besides ignoring reality and facts, you're claim is good to go.

Steve Ballmer is being replaced next year so this is it :)
#165Hokiepokie85Posted 12/7/2013 4:33:24 AM
Asherned posted...
SoulTrapper posted...
Darthvade posted...
What you have to remember is Gates is in favor of Xbox, while he may not control as much stock his opinion carries weight. It would be like an investor telling Steve Jobs no we dont like that you cant do it at Apple. Just imagine how that would go.

Investors even wanted to get rid of Gates just a few weeks ago:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/microsoft-shareholders-call-bill-gates-step-chairman/story?id=20443636

God that is wrong on so many levels. Way to spit in the face of your company's founder... it's like the British tossing Churchill out of office right after WWII ,like "thanks for saving the world, don't let the door hit you on the way out!"

It's like FSU forcing out Bobby Bowden. No way they can make it to the title game without him...
#166BushidoEffect3Posted 12/8/2013 1:50:40 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#167Ryan-06Posted 12/9/2013 11:47:41 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#168Ryan-06Posted 12/12/2013 5:28:15 AM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/642/557/654.gif
---
0=Rei. Pronounced Rei-six. Born New England. Lived in Japan. Citizen of Earth. Want to move to Canada.
http://i.minus.com/is8qElkJbGXle.gif