The real problem with the Kinnect(voice commands)

#1MCC1701Posted 11/20/2013 7:49:30 AM
My laptop has a built-in camera with face recognition software, and it uses it as an alternative way to log in. It works quickly and unless it is really dark or my face is out of frame it works very well. It usually takes 1-3 seconds to turn on and look for my face, and 0.5-2 seconds to read my face and log me in.

However I rarely log in that way ever. The reason is the same for the Xbone and Kinnect. Even though it works, I can save a second or two typing out my short PW and don't have to jump through mental hoops. Unless the XB1 UI sucks, by the time you say something you could have navigated to it, without having to put a little extra effort to talking clearly or deal with the environment interfering.

I'm not saying it won't work, I don't have one to test it myself, but I can't foresee myself using the voice commands over the controller sitting in my hand.

TLDR: MS didn't build a better mousetrap, just a different one.
---
36: Ancient
Awarded to users with at least 2000 Karma.
#2MCC1701(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2013 11:49:43 AM
Bump
---
#3TBONE_OGPosted 11/20/2013 11:50:59 AM
The Kinect can sign you in before you even reach to grab your controller...
---
Always O.G.
#4Troll_DirectoryPosted 11/20/2013 11:57:13 AM
from the videos and live streams i've seen, it looks like the biggest problem is people not knowing the correct commands yet, and the current commands are too specific for people who are just learning them.
#5SoulTrapperPosted 11/20/2013 12:01:23 PM(edited)
Pretty much, unless it works perfectly all the time, people will get tired of repeating themselves.
And everything that's done faster with a controller, will always be done with a controller.

Why put in all the extra effort of learning the exact commands when you can push a button?
It sounds really cool, but the execution is just not good enough for it to actually be an advantage in most cases.
#6method115Posted 11/20/2013 12:01:38 PM
I live alone so I just have my account auto signin. Even though I hate the Kinect (not because of spying I could care less of the NSA wants to watch me beat off) because of all the movement I workout to much to be moving in games.
---
PSN: method114
#7archibald3Posted 11/20/2013 12:46:37 PM
SoulTrapper posted...
Pretty much, unless it works perfectly all the time, people will get tired of repeating themselves.
And everything that's done faster with a controller, will always be done with a controller.

Why put in all the extra effort of learning the exact commands when you can push a button?
It sounds really cool, but the execution is just not good enough for it to actually be an advantage in most cases.

Yeah why would anyone bother learning how to use the new functions of their new console ?

Is this the most pessimistic logic you could come up with to continually post anything negative you can think of ? Don`t you have anything better to do ?
#8archibald3Posted 11/20/2013 12:48:37 PM
Troll_Directory posted...
from the videos and live streams i've seen, it looks like the biggest problem is people not knowing the correct commands yet, and the current commands are too specific for people who are just learning them.

This is going to be at the heart of a lot of the mediocre reviews.
#9MCC1701(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2013 1:05:14 PM
SoulTrapper posted...

My point exactly. Basically I will see it used a lot at first as it is cool, but after that has worn off it will only be used when it strikes the user's fancy, or in a weird situation where hands are full.

I'm not bashing it, it is better to have this feature than not, but people shouldn't be blowing it out of proportion.
---
#10SoulTrapperPosted 11/21/2013 4:14:19 AM
archibald3 posted...

Yeah why would anyone bother learning how to use the new functions of their new console ?

Is this the most pessimistic logic you could come up with to continually post anything negative you can think of ? Don`t you have anything better to do ?

Because it's much easier to use a controller.

Why put in effort to learn something that only works 80% of the time when the alternative is 100% accurate?

Now I'm sure there will be times when the voice commands will come in handy and I'm sure people will use them.
But I'm also sure that a much larger amount of people will get tired of it within a week if not the first few hours and will simply stick to using their controller.
Which means the kinect will become a $100 doorstop for them: comes in handy once in a while, but mostly useless.