I'm not sure I like the idea of challenges.

#1levyjl1988Posted 11/20/2013 6:32:47 PM
Achievements are alright if done right.
That depends on:
1. It doesn't feel like a chore. Collectables.
Terrible examples of achievements are: Thermos collecting in Alan Wake. Lost Planet 1 medal collecting.
2. it doesn't spoil the story.
3. It's actually a challenge and not something stupid like a heavy grind fest or leave your controller on with a rubber band.

Achievements can be obtained any time which is convenient, challenges seem to be locked within certain time. You really have to make time in your life or schedule to accomodate for it, if not it can be a quite interruptive. For the completionist gamer, who wants to obtain everything, this can be detrimental. To see an an award, and have no chance of obtaining it because it was time sensitive. Not obtainable through effort, nor skill, not even through cash purchases.

Games used to be all about the fun, but now it seems to take the approach of Farmville in unique ways with the appointment model system. Inconsistant pacing and varying different business models combined with psychological additions to keep players hooked for long periods of time.
Mass Effect 3's multiplayer had specific challenges which unlocked banners that cannot be unlocked unless you participated in that challenge. Miss it and you're SOL. ME3 multiplayer can be considered an example of a terrible multiplayer game that made use of challenges. It's aesthetic, but nothing amazing compared to other entertainment options. It disrupted pace, grind a lot of games before you can buy a pack. Also optional is using MS points to pay for expendable gear. The free DLC made very little effort to keep the audience.

I've seen that GTA Online also used the same grind heavy focus and little cash dispensing to entice gamers to pay to unlock stuff faster. Sad what games have turned into. But that's just my two cents.

Back to challenges. What's your thoughts on them?
---
I hate games with bad game design
#2bessy67Posted 11/20/2013 6:36:27 PM(edited)
I think they're awesome. Timed challenges that give you little badges for your profile sounds cool. Plus I really liked the Mass Effect challenges..
---
"Immigrants. That's all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#3GroZZleRPosted 11/20/2013 6:44:12 PM
A little contradictory to say "games used to be all about the fun" and then complain about meaningless metagame elements that have zero effect on the actual game itself. Do you look back on your gaming sessions with fondness of the experience had or the achievements earned?
#4squarex8264Posted 11/20/2013 6:48:30 PM
If it makes you feel any better, challenges carry no Gamerscore whatsoever, and don't factor into the "achievement completion" of a game.

So if you get all the achievements in a game but miss several challenges, the "achievement completion" will still say 100%. All challenges do is add to the total number of achievements you have. There is no longer a fixed number of achievements like there was on 360. For example, instead of a game showing you "You have 15/35 acheivements", it just shows "You have 15 achievements". If you get more challenges done, it just adds to that number. So you can have a guy who has 100% of the Gamerscore with 30 achievements, and another guy who has 100% of the Gamerscore with 40 achievements, if he did more challenges.
---
"You guys can sig that if you want." -TheArcade
#5SythisTaruPosted 11/20/2013 6:50:05 PM
How is the coffee thermos collection a terrible challenge? It's one of the most fun things in Alan Wake.
#6AceMagasePosted 11/20/2013 6:51:10 PM
They're not mandatory - problem solved
#7levyjl1988(Topic Creator)Posted 11/21/2013 2:10:46 AM
SythisTaru posted...
How is the coffee thermos collection a terrible challenge? It's one of the most fun things in Alan Wake.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/705913/how-collectibles-nearly-destroyed-alan-wake-and-why-gamer-dna-is-at-fault/

http://web.archive.org/web/20120815072834/http://www.stevebromley.com/blog/2011/11/10/the-effect-of-collectables-on-the-player-experience-in-games
---
I hate games with bad game design