Question about the offline update

#1ChargrilledPosted 11/20/2013 9:30:11 PM
Once you download the file from microsofts website do you unzip it and place it on the flash drive, or leave it as is?
---
GT : DeadJericho/PSN : Focalpoint/WiiU : FocalpointUK
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
#2Dark_Materia544Posted 11/20/2013 9:33:50 PM
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/emergency-offline-update
---
GT: DividedGenesis
Pawn: Ascera
#3GOGOPLATAS_WiiPosted 11/20/2013 10:14:14 PM
Do we know If the USB drive has to be empty besides the update files?

I'm not sure if they mean "make sure the drive is NTFS formatted" or "Format the drive"
#4aszsithPosted 11/20/2013 10:36:05 PM
GOGOPLATAS_Wii posted...

I'm not sure if they mean "make sure the drive is NTFS formatted" or "Format the drive"

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=format+USB+drive+in+NTFS+in+windows

With the term "NTFS format", they are talking about the file system the drive is formatted to accept data for. Most USB drives are actually formatted in FAT32 by default. The Xbox One cannot read from a FAT32 drive. This means that you have to reformat the drive in NTFS format. The reformatting process erases all data on the drive and leaves it in a blank state. This is easy to do in Windows.

And yes, since the instructions say to unzip the file to the root drive of the USB, i would assume that you would want to make sure that there is nothing else on the USB drive except for the $SystemUpdate folder that is created by the zip file.

Oh, and you can't use OS X on a Mac to format the drive as Mac's can't write to NTFS systems (without additional programming beyond your skill if you are asking what NTFS is anyway).
---
I own a PS3, XBOX360, and Wii. I'm in it for the gameplay, not the logo on the box. Can you say the same?
#5GOGOPLATAS_WiiPosted 11/20/2013 10:48:02 PM
aszsith posted...
GOGOPLATAS_Wii posted...

With the term "NTFS format", they are talking about the file system the drive is formatted to accept data for. Most USB drives are actually formatted in FAT32 by default. The Xbox One cannot read from a FAT32 drive. This means that you have to reformat the drive in NTFS format. The reformatting process erases all data on the drive and leaves it in a blank state. This is easy to do in Windows.

And yes, since the instructions say to unzip the file to the root drive of the USB, i would assume that you would want to make sure that there is nothing else on the USB drive except for the $SystemUpdate folder that is created by the zip file.

Oh, and you can't use OS X on a Mac to format the drive as Mac's can't write to NTFS systems (without additional programming beyond your skill if you are asking what NTFS is anyway).

Why are you trying to link me to Google? Did I ask what NTFS was?
Don't be a prick for no reason.

When you format a drive it clears it. I don't know if they want us to format the drive (to clear it) or if they just want the drive to be NTFS formatted.
#6Millertime660Posted 11/20/2013 10:49:53 PM
I need to find drivers to be able to do this on a mac.... yikes!
#7Alnilam81Posted 11/20/2013 10:57:28 PM
The 'Emergency Offline Update' isn't designed to replace the day one update, they've disabled the links now to avoid confusion, read the update in this link;

http://xboxonedaily.com/2013/11/xbox-one-will-support-offline-os-updates-heres-how-to-get-them/
#8Chargrilled(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2013 10:59:17 PM
GOGOPLATAS_Wii posted...
aszsith posted...
GOGOPLATAS_Wii posted...

Why are you trying to link me to Google? Did I ask what NTFS was?
Don't be a prick for no reason.

When you format a drive it clears it. I don't know if they want us to format the drive (to clear it) or if they just want the drive to be NTFS formatted.

Make sure its ntfs and its empty before you put the update files on it

You could do a quick format to make sure any hidden files are deleted aswell, but as long as its a ntfs flash drive and all thats on it are the updates youre fine.
---
#9ghostemp77Posted 11/21/2013 1:17:05 AM
Wait, it supports NTFS?!
---
XBL/PSN: DragonGhost2461 3DS FC: 2380 - 2356 - 0444
LMAO Day One Patches: PS4, Wii U, XB1
#10Chargrilled(Topic Creator)Posted 11/21/2013 1:19:03 AM
ghostemp77 posted...
Wait, it supports NTFS?!

Yes

Itd be a bit strange if it didnt tbh, what with the os being based on the windows kernel n'all
---