Where did this term "brick" come from

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Where did this term "brick" come from
2 years ago#1
Before this launch I've never heard anyone refer to a dead console as a brick. Why do gamers feel the need to come up with these stupid terms when there are other, more suitable, words that can be used?
---
"Rudeness is epidemic"
-Hannibal Lecter
2 years ago#2
The word brick has been used for many years, especially with phones. Where have you been?
---
3DS FC: 3136-7588-7220
2 years ago#3
Thought you were talking about the power supply.
---
How deep is too deep?
2 years ago#4
idk, "dead" sounds a little too bland
---
I remember my first beer.
Currently Playing: Mass Effect 2, FIFA 14, KH: Birth By Sleep
2 years ago#5
bountyhunterS9 posted...
Before this launch I've never heard anyone refer to a dead console as a brick. Why do gamers feel the need to come up with these stupid terms when there are other, more suitable, words that can be used?

When you have a piece of equipment that completely stops working, it sits their as useful as a brick. If you have a better term please let us hear it who knows it might take off
2 years ago#6
The term brick has been around a long time, it's not just this console launch...

Because consoles are typically squarish and if they don't work they might as well be a brick. Rectangular, heavy, and useless.
---
"No control beyond these skies"
GT: RollnThunder213
2 years ago#7
I don"t like Xbone either. Sounds demeaning.
2 years ago#8
Wouldn't it be awesome to actually make a house of "bricked" consoles, iPhones, etc.

That would be a really interesting art project.
---
Peace and love!
2 years ago#9
Excal1bur posted...
bountyhunterS9 posted...

When you have a piece of equipment that completely stops working, it sits their as useful as a brick. If you have a better term please let us hear it who knows it might take off

Bricks can be quite useful. So I still don't understand the comparison.
---
I can shoot a whole load into a guys face and they just brush it off. - Psquared34
2 years ago#10
micheal82 posted...
Excal1bur posted...
bountyhunterS9 posted...

Bricks can be quite useful. So I still don't understand the comparison.

Some people call it paperweights or doorstoppers.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Where did this term "brick" come from

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived