So do you still need to "activate" games the first time you play them?

#1MGSFAN612Posted 11/22/2013 9:55:58 PM
I remember when they announced that an online connection was no longer needed to play games they said you still had to be online the first time you play each game.

My concern is that in about 8-12 years when they stop supporting the Xbox one and they turn off the activation(for lack of a better word) servers we won't be able to play any new copies of games.
---
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-Edmund Burke
PSN/XBL: MGSFAN612 NNID: MGSFAN316
#2jpraelsterPosted 11/22/2013 9:58:06 PM
MGSFAN612 posted...
I remember when they announced that an online connection was no longer needed to play games they said you still had to be online the first time you play each game.

My concern is that in about 8-12 years when they stop supporting the Xbox one and they turn off the activation(for lack of a better word) servers we won't be able to play any new copies of games.

Its likely gonna be longer then that this console is supposed to last for 10 years and if it does then that means the servers wont be down for likely 15
#3ElJorge007Posted 11/22/2013 10:02:58 PM
Only the day 1 update, if you want game updates you have to connect online(obviously). Tested and installs/plays without internet connection.
---
PSN/XBL gamertag: JorgeVercetti
#4MGSFAN612(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2013 10:26:15 PM(edited)
ElJorge007 posted...
Only the day 1 update, if you want game updates you have to connect online(obviously). Tested and installs/plays without internet connection.

Interesting looks like i will own all 3 of the main next gen consoles eventually.( I already have the Wii U)

---
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-Edmund Burke
#5MGSFAN612(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2013 2:44:20 PM
So there is no need to be connected the first time you install a game?

I could had sworn MS said you had to.

Not that i plan on getting a Xbox One anytime soon. I'd never spend $500 on a console and I'd never buy one at launch because there is usually some kind of defect they need to fix.( Both the PS4 and Xbox One have issues and I am pretty sure even the Wii U had issues) However I do eventually plan on getting it after I get PS4(unless the price of the Xbox One drops $100 by this time next year then I'll have to choose which I want first)
---