My Xbox One is making a really weird scratching noise (video included)

#1AceFan84Posted 11/23/2013 8:18:46 AM
So my Xbox One is making a really weird scratching noise and I have no idea what it is. I know it isn't the disc drive because I've never even put a disc in the system. I first noticed it when the system was installing the system update when I first booted it up. The crazy thing is it makes a little noise even when the system is off (NOT in standby either)!!! I posted this video because I'm not sure I've heard of/seen anything quite like this anywhere else. If anyone has any idea wtf this could be feel free to let me know. It makes enough noise when it's off that I have to unplug it when I'm not using it.....not good lol.

The Xbox seems completely normal other than the awful noise, it hasn't locked up on me or anything yet. Here's the video I took:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skqwBNGH8VU&feature=youtu.be
---
Now playing: MLB 13:The Show (PS3), The Last of Us (PS3), Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS), Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS)
#2Hustler NinePosted 11/23/2013 8:23:12 AM
That's not good at all, my friend. It looks like the Fan making weird sound. Also looks like the power brick is not connected right.

Return it.
---
If you call the Devil, Dante will come. If you call Dante, then...Devil May Cry...
#3AceFan84(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2013 8:30:10 AM
What do you mean the power brick isn't connected right? Isn't there only one way to connect it lol? The light on it is white which is how it's supposed to be if I'm not mistaken.
---
Now playing: MLB 13:The Show (PS3), The Last of Us (PS3), Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS), Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS)
#4WestSdeNleVrusPosted 11/23/2013 8:36:45 AM
You're not the only one. Just have no idea what the real percentage is with all the trolls. Saw a topic at 60% yesterday claiming their XBone was broken. You can send it in to MS and wait 3 weeks, take it back to the store, or ignore it...I did hear that it doesn't scratch your game disc at least....
#5daniel79Posted 11/23/2013 8:37:42 AM
The ticking over noise sounds like an old hard drive. When my (very) old pc hard drives started to fail you could hear them ticking as the arm went across the heads..

As for that other noise. It sounds like a bloody wood chipper!

That sounds awful, I'd be sending that back. Any noise like that is going to end up with something failing soon.

Not good!
#6AceFan84(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2013 8:46:07 AM
Yeah I build my own computers so I'm fairly tech savvy but this one is throwing me for a bit of a loop. The thing that gets me is it still makes noise when it's all the way off! The fan was my first thought but it doesn't run when the system is off I don't think. And if it is the hdd what the heck would it be doing when the system is off lol?

Either way it's frustrating. I bought it on Amazon so I don't know if it would be better to go through them or Microsoft.
---
#7Hustler NinePosted 11/23/2013 9:04:01 AM
AceFan84 posted...
What do you mean the power brick isn't connected right? Isn't there only one way to connect it lol? The light on it is white which is how it's supposed to be if I'm not mistaken.

84? I'm in the same year.

Well, I wanted to say the sound is similar when a power brick is loose or not working right(I don't know the right word to explain). My laptop power brick does the same sound when I move it and it looks like a loose cable.

I'm sure the problem is something different, I just wanted to post my thoughts.

I hope you get a new working(flawless) one:)
---
If you call the Devil, Dante will come. If you call Dante, then...Devil May Cry...
#8Mindwipe77Posted 11/23/2013 9:21:45 AM
call up MS support and see what they say about it
---
Lightning Returns, MY GOTY 2014
Ps4,Wii U owner. X1 coming 11/22, next gen ftw!
#9nb003_99Posted 11/23/2013 9:25:03 AM(edited)
Lol troll...

Aka sorry p.

"DRM aside, all of Microsofts moves have been as intended."
- Hentaidoji
#10CyborgTwentyPosted 11/23/2013 10:56:21 AM
That's really bad, call MS and claim your money back!