Microsoft Wasn't Ready for the Xbox One Disaster

#1ManInGorillaSutPosted 11/24/2013 10:44:22 AM
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/11/24/microsoft-wasnt-ready-for-the-xbox-one-disaster.aspx

"Sony (NYSE: SNE ) had just a seven-day head start on Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT ) in this month's video-game war, but it might have a bigger lead than that in the battle of consumer perception.

Microsoft may seem to be downplaying the magnitude of the defective Xbox One consoles that hit the market this weekend, but it's clearly bigger than the software giant is letting on. I should know. I was one of the unfortunate early adopters burned by a buggy console that would spit out discs like a baby refusing to eat a jar of creamed peas. Every game or optical disc that I would try to insert would grind, crank, and stall. A quick online search let me know that I wasn't alone in having paid $500 for a console that can't read discs.

Things only got worse when I tried to get the matter resolved.

"The issue is affecting a very small number of Xbox One customers," Microsoft explained in a statement to GameSpot. "We're working directly with those affected to get a replacement console to them as soon as possible through our advance exchange program."

The program is fair. Microsoft sends out a replacement system first. The owner of the defective Xbox One then has two weeks to return the original system. That's the right thing to do, even if it means that Microsoft requires a credit card authorization of $500 to set the process in motion. However, if this problem was so limited, why was customer service so hard to get yesterday? Microsoft offers several options, but it turns out that the only way to execute this exchange is by phone, since Xbox "ambassadors" and the support staff manning LivePerson's (NASDAQ: LPSN ) online chat interface can't accept sensitive credit card information online. You need to speak to an actual rep, and here's where Microsoft dropped the ball.

I was shocked to see that the wait time would be "less than 512 minutes" yesterday afternoon. Microsoft calls you back, but it's still an insane amount of time to be left waiting for a resolution."

Ouch, RRoD 2.0???
---
Give me Banana!
#2Gojak_v3Posted 11/24/2013 10:49:12 AM
Wonder when the fanboys will stop trying to pretend only a couple hundred xbones failed. This has to be incredibly devastating for them considering the ps4 has a less than 1% failure rate.
#3ManInGorillaSut(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2013 10:50:50 AM
Gojak_v3 posted...
Wonder when the fanboys will stop trying to pretend only a couple hundred xbones failed. This has to be incredibly devastating for them considering the ps4 has a less than 1% failure rate.

There is proof now. An EIGHT HOUR wait period for customer service??? Something is definitely going on..
---
Give me Banana!
#4BeatItUpRightPosted 11/24/2013 10:51:11 AM
Gojak_v3 posted...

It's sad that anybody get's broken consoles, hope everyone get's fixed consoles soon.
---
Intel Pentium Pro @155mhz - 2MB 3dfx Voodoo Graphics - 4x 16MB SIMM ram - 32k Modem - Windows 98
#5Retrogamer79Posted 11/24/2013 10:52:41 AM
Meh whatever, mine works just fine.
---
We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing.
4,8,15,16,23,42....never forget
#6Brandy1977Posted 11/24/2013 10:53:30 AM
I was betting a friend what kind of defect the Xbox One would have.I bought a 360 at launch and have had a total of 5 systems throughout my run this gen with my current 360 i can not play any games on discs because my disc trey doesnt open anymore so all the games i play on 360 are digital downloads.

Microsoft cant make hardware for crap.
---
http://i.imgur.com/VExgt5d.png
#7_NapalmBrain_Posted 11/24/2013 10:54:55 AM
Hey TC, you do know the RRoD took awhile before it hit the 360 right?

I'd hold your tongue or you could be eating your words if PS4 has a major issue at some point in the console life. You console fanboys are some of the most sad people I have ever seen. Absolutely childish statements.
#8ManInGorillaSut(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2013 10:56:37 AM(edited)
_NapalmBrain_ posted...
Hey TC, you do know the RRoD took awhile before it hit the 360 right?

I'd hold your tongue or you could be eating your words if PS4 has a major issue at some point in the console life. You console fanboys are some of the most sad people I have ever seen. Absolutely childish statements.

The butthurt is strong with this one.
---
Give me Banana!
#9scorpio manPosted 11/24/2013 10:56:45 AM
Mine and the ten plus people I know are just fine and happily playing only thing wrong is my Skype app is busted
---
Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty.
#10TBONE_OGPosted 11/24/2013 11:00:12 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]