I know why the disc drives are malfunctioning.

#21uptown710Posted 11/24/2013 5:09:43 PM
ill-thoughts posted...
I don't understand why they wouldnt release a model with no disc drive for the ppl who only want to play downloaded games.

That just leads to confusion. You split the user base that way. You forget this thing is supposed to be a set top box. You cut the drive out you no longer have Blu-ray, DVD, or CD capabilities.

Remember when the original 360 came without a HDD, because MS felt that the console didn't really need one?
---
"XBone: not for soldiers or Japanese. or astronauts. didn't you know?" - Vorzal
#22ill-thoughtsPosted 11/24/2013 5:40:54 PM
uptown710 posted...
ill-thoughts posted...
I don't understand why they wouldnt release a model with no disc drive for the ppl who only want to play downloaded games.

That just leads to confusion. You split the user base that way. You forget this thing is supposed to be a set top box. You cut the drive out you no longer have Blu-ray, DVD, or CD capabilities.

There's people out there who don't care about the box playing DVDs or CDs, they just want the games and to be able to play them. 360 had disc drive errors as well so I'm shocked they wouldnt give us a digital only model for maybe 350 bucks AS WELL AS the 500$ model with disc drive, Kinect and cable features. 2 different versions.....same xbox live capabilities.....no splitting the fan base.
#23oq7sterPosted 11/24/2013 5:49:01 PM
Hardware issues are common.
Gaming console issues get blown out of proportions because that generates traffic and traffic is money.
Negative news are more efficient at generating traffic than positive ones.
---
3DS: 1805-3478-2204; NNID: oq7ster
http://i.imgur.com/WHRNrBkh.jpg; DDP886 best Troll ever http://i.imgur.com/SH5mU.jpg
#24CyborgTwentyPosted 11/27/2013 6:26:25 AM
MS put in cheap blu ray drives because they wanted to go all digital.
#25killaSeason007Posted 11/27/2013 6:48:54 AM
masteryasha posted...
So, Sony developed blu-ray drives, right? I think that Sony gave MS bad drives to make them look bad and keep them from having a good launch. It's the most obvious reason for all of this stuff, and I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned it yet.

Wow you cracked the case i can't believe it...
---
gamertag: Bigmarv15 PSN: BigDallasCowboys
#26Spartan196Posted 11/27/2013 7:40:54 AM
I callrd just for the hell of it. tried 3 different times during the day all spread out. I waited 3 minutes in the am, 12 minutes in the afternoon, and 13 minutes in the evening. This was for Xbox One technical support
#27DeimirPosted 11/27/2013 8:16:23 AM
ill-thoughts posted...
uptown710 posted...
ill-thoughts posted...

There's people out there who don't care about the box playing DVDs or CDs, they just want the games and to be able to play them. 360 had disc drive errors as well so I'm shocked they wouldnt give us a digital only model for maybe 350 bucks AS WELL AS the 500$ model with disc drive, Kinect and cable features. 2 different versions.....same xbox live capabilities.....no splitting the fan base.

It may not split the fan base, but it would split the user base. Random uninformed consumer sees cheaper Xbox console on the shelf, takes it home with a couple of games, and can't actually put the games in the console. Microsoft and the retailer get blamed by angry consumer who then decides to go with the brand that doesn't require prior research.
---
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f2b_1371011276
#28embrandedonePosted 11/27/2013 10:38:31 AM
I smell desperation
---
An all digital future is readily available for PS4. If you wish to download your entire library digitally, you can and its without the anti-consumer bullcrap.
#29TBONE_OGPosted 11/27/2013 10:48:23 AM(edited)
A few things:

1) Sony doesn't own Blu-ray. Research.

2) Some disc drives have been fixed by users smacking the bottom of the xbox on the drive's side. They should still get replacements asap, but at least customers can use what they bought fully if this method works for them.

In no way does disc drive fail = system fail. A part of the X1 is defective. For most, the rest of the console is superb.

3) On Saturday, Nov 22, I was on hold with Xbox support for 5 hours, 2 separate calls. I never got through. On Monday, Nov 24, I was on hold for around 8 mins, talked to two different people, who put me hold here and there to check stuff -- they checked up on me every few mins. Great experience.

Enjoy a bit of knowledge today!
---
Always O.G.
#30DeimirPosted 11/27/2013 11:05:21 AM
TBONE_OG posted...
A few things:

1) Sony doesn't own Blu-ray. Research.

2) Some disc drives have been fixed by users smacking the bottom of the xbox on the drive's side. They should still get replacements asap, but at least customers can use what they bought fully if this method works for them.

In no way does disc drive fail = system fail. A part of the X1 is defective. For most, the rest of the console is superb.

3) On Saturday, Nov 22, I was on hold with Xbox support for 5 hours, 2 separate calls. I never got through. On Monday, Nov 24, I was on hold for around 8 mins, talked to two different people, who put me hold here and there to check stuff -- they checked up on me every few mins. Great experience.

Enjoy a bit of knowledge today!

Mmm, tasty knowledge. Reminds me, I need to eat breakfast.
---
"3/20 = 3 * 2 / 10 = 0.6% for people who are bad math." -fan360