Disappointed with two things but overall great console

#1kuhnePosted 11/25/2013 4:58:37 PM
I think the Xbox One has enormous potential and I am very happy I own one, I try not to take sides ad Microsoft and Sony have both been two of my favorite brands since I was a kid and I will go pick up my PS4 next Friday when it is released in my country. So letís not make this a console vs. console issue please.
I have to say, I am very impressed with the Xbox one (even though my first one did and I had to go to the store the next day to exchange it for a new one (which I am happy to report has been working flawlessly)

The gamepad, the interface, everything is great, here are two things were I believe they dropped the ball, one of them is importantish, the other one doesnít really matter but here goes my rant anyways.
First, for someone like me, who already has a home theater set up with an AV receiver that gets two dvrs from two different satellite companies, a HTPC, a Wii U and a PS3, the first thing that popped into my head when I heard the Xbox One had an overlay feature was ďGreat! No need to waste an HDMI port, after all, most equipment in the world that have overlay features work when the machine is off, acting as a bridgeÖright? WRONG! The frigging box has to be on for the whole swap, TV thing to work, or at least thatís what I got from my test, if I am wrong PLEASE let me know.

Basically MS is telling me, ďwe want to take over your home theater, stop using your dvrs and other useless equipment, use OUR superior product for all of that!
Now I know Microsoft intends their overlay feature for people that donít already have DVR and a whole complex home theater setup but still, it was a pretty good idea that completely failed the moment I tried to execute it. Also, their interface for the whole TV thing seems pretty clunky. I used to be a big user of the first windows media center pcís back in the day, recording live TV and what not, in fact I stopped using TiVo and my dvr altogether for months to try it out, in the end I realized Microsoft was on to something trying to take over peopleís living rooms, now it seems a bit too late because every single box seems to have DVR.
Anyways, thatís just my complaint, if it works for you, great.

My second complaint, I was very excited about Xbox fitness, Iíve done p90, p90x before and right now I do p90 master series daily. When I read that they had an Xbox fitness thing coming with Kinect, with real trainers like Horton, the first thing that came to mind was that we would have a specialized type of training regimen for 90 days with added features from Kinect like form correction and heart rate monitoring, etc.

What Xbox fitness ended up being is a store for downloadable exercise videos, no different than buying a video from iTunes in my pc and playing it on the TV, with the added features of the Kinect thing but itís not enough, not to mention they donít even sell complete programs, some of those programs are over 18 dvds long and you need them all to be effective yet they only offer a couple of the p90 x videosÖ this really sucked, I know the average Xbox one wonít even click on the Xbox fitness icon at all so itís a stupid complaint but it still bugs me.

Other than that, great console, awesome graphics, pretty crappy games at the moment to be honest (both consoles) and battlefield 4 and cod ghosts already play better on my PC so the only thing Iíve been playing is forza and it is cool, not great but cool, I am very, VERY excited about the future of this console and I am glad I own it, when developers manage to squeeze more out of it combined with Microsoftís data center processing power, we could really have some ridiculously big scale games with decent loading times, I really canít wait.

BTW, I need Titanfall now, thatís all.
#2Syi_2010Posted 11/25/2013 5:02:12 PM
i would blame the software developer more (even if it is MS) about the exercise thing, the kinect seems to have alot of REAL possibilities when it comes to training, including muscle isolation recording/stress test and hear rate monitoring to confirm you are pushing yourself. However, outside of a real life instructor monitoring your progress, you would have to rely on set scripts and code because A.I. doesnt exist at the level you would require to actually benefit above and beyond videos and short of a real life trainer.
---
GT - Syi, PS3 Syion, Wii-dont remember
#3kuhne(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2013 12:06:28 PM
Yeah it's kind of disappointing how the fitness thing is basically a glorified exercise video store, one shouldn't even call that a feature
#4zephirrainesPosted 11/26/2013 12:26:09 PM
kuhne posted...
Yeah it's kind of disappointing how the fitness thing is basically a glorified exercise video store, one shouldn't even call that a feature

But it is. Its like whining that you have to pay netflix every month or an mmo. You have to pay alot for p90x on ios too and the regular program. Might not be worth it to u but its still a valid feature.
#5kuhne(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2013 10:05:12 PM
What I mean is, nobody considers Netflix as a launch title, while in some articles people were talking about fitness as a title in of itself, when it really isn't that, its just an exercise video store that sells incomplete programs (doesn't sell the complete p90x for example) and its just not very good at all, its simply better to go out and buy the dvds, that's all Im saying.
#6drfirepantsPosted 11/27/2013 10:23:03 PM
I think with the fitness app you have to view it as a preview of things to come. I think for what they have available at launch is pretty impressive with a pretty wide range of choices. I was happy to see work out programs on there that actually incorporated weights. I think it is a safe bet to say that they will certainly add more features and programs to it as time goes on.