eSRAM question

#1mizukage2Posted 11/25/2013 5:07:14 PM
So, could a developer theoretically just ignore the eSRAM entirely and only use the standard RAM so as to avoid any headaches at the cost of whatever speed benefits the eSRAM provides?
---
I mean, i never see the right bash the left on anything because the blame game causes more issues than anything-Josh
#2Xeeh_BitzPosted 11/25/2013 5:08:56 PM
It basically allows the cpu/gpu to swap data in and out much faster, it's similar to an l3 cache..

They probably are bypassing it for the most part, which is the reason for texture poppins in Dead Rising 3, etc.. the SoC is waiting for the data basically
---
3770K @ 4.5ghz| GTX Titan @ 1300/6500 | Asus Maximus V Formula | Asus PB278Q 2560x1440 | Windows 8.1 | PS4 | Atari 2600
#3Cowboy082288Posted 11/25/2013 5:15:04 PM
Honestly TC no one on this board can give you a good answer to how a dev is using it. Few on this board would really understand the programing behind it. Either go learn a lot about computer science or try sending your question in to an actual dev :)

GameFaQs is not the place to learn about different programming approaches for different computer architecture.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#4sworderPosted 11/25/2013 5:17:54 PM
They could, but they probably won't even be able to get games running at 720p if they did
#5yiangaruuugaPosted 11/25/2013 5:25:53 PM
Considering most devs had no idea about the specs until the middle of development, I doubt any game is using it to its full capacity. If it's capable of 6Gbs of textures and graphic data, then any game could be 1080P easily.
---
GT: xFrostxPhoenix
Now Playing: BF3, DC 2 Waiting for: MW3,Skyrim, ACR...Monster Hunter is the **** btw.
#6garcia_jxPosted 11/25/2013 5:33:30 PM
What is esRAM? Yes I heard if it previously, but I have no idea what it is used for.
#7Cowboy082288Posted 11/25/2013 5:40:25 PM
garcia_jx posted...
What is esRAM? Yes I heard if it previously, but I have no idea what it is used for.

Here is a good article about it:

http://gamingbolt.com/nitrous-engine-dev-esram-provides-massive-speedup-for-certain-operations-requires-more-work
---
#8Webmaster4531Posted 11/25/2013 5:54:43 PM
garcia_jx posted...

eSRAM stands for embedded static random-access memory.

From wikipedia

SRAM is more expensive and less dense than DRAM and is therefore not used for high-capacity, low-cost applications such as the main memory in personal computers.

Embedded use

Many categories of industrial and scientific subsystems, automotive electronics, and similar, contain static RAM.
Some amount (kilobytes or less) is also embedded in practically all modern appliances, toys, etc. that implement an electronic user interface.
Several megabytes may be used in complex products such as digital cameras, cell phones, synthesizers, etc.

Basically it's fast static RAM with a small capacity embedded into the console.
---
Ad Hominem.
#9Cowboy082288Posted 11/25/2013 5:55:16 PM
The truth that I have been able to figure out for whatever that is worth is this. The gaming communities obsession with eSRAM vs GDDR5 was mostly just people not understanding the two approaches MS and Sony were taking. Most just knew that GDDR5 was better than DDR3 for graphics. They didn't really understand the two approaches and made a big deal of nothing.

Now where they should have paid attention was the shaders. PS4 simply has more. It gives the PS4 an advantage in graphics processing. Is it the kind of advantage that will mean better looking games? I don't know, maybe, it's not really a huge deal. Might come into play 5 years into the consoles life cycles.

Both the X1 and PS4 are about mid to low range gaming PCs. Neither is even close to high end. If you want to know what high end gaming rigs are like look into crossfire and sli. This two tech from amd and nividia (the tech is really the same) allow multiple graphics cards to work in tandem with each other. This make 4K gaming possible on any type of game. Mind you if you want to play Battlefield 4 at 4K it's expensive. Probably like 4 thousand dollars or more.
---
#10avidgamer4Posted 11/25/2013 6:10:22 PM
You have to specifically place it in that buffer. It's not the same as Windows where RAM is completely controlled by the OS and can override what you want. The demo shown at E3 was a good example of how to use eSRAM. But you can use it for anything that needs super fast swapping.