Do you think we'll ever see consoles launching at $200-$300 ever again?

#1forest_wandererPosted 11/27/2013 11:12:54 AM
Obviously as the years go by, technology gets better, and the consumer demands more from the games they play. But at the same time this drives costs up, to the point we see consoles launching with MSRPs of $350 or $400 or even $600 in the disastrous PS3's case.

This gen we saw the Wii launch at $350, PS4 at $400 and now the XBOne at $500. I alllmost decided to bite the bullet and get an XBOne, but after reassessing my financial situation for the holidays I decided it'd be best to wait until it gets a price drop, and wait it out on my 360. I did buy a Wii U two months ago after they dropped its price and started bundling games with it, since I had no interest in spending $350 on nothing, when it launched.

But point I'm making is that consoles are only going to get more and more expensive. Do you think we'll ever reach a point where brands will be able to charge that little anymore, or are we gonna just have to get used to paying several hundred dollars everytime a new console releases?
---
Our pizza could kick your pizza's ass: http://www.poorcouplesfoodguide.com
3DS: 1934 - 0658 - 7543
#2Sith JediPosted 11/27/2013 11:17:29 AM
Other than handhelds and niche things like Ouya, no.
#3firemikePosted 11/28/2013 9:36:32 PM
Unlikely, I doubt we will ever see the price get lower but also have to consider that as the trend goes people who buy a console are likely to buy one less dvd/blue-ray/whatever player so if you want to have one then that soaks up a bit of the added price.
---
GT: Gamma Mike
PSN: GAMMAMIKE
#4ShuraYukihimePosted 11/28/2013 9:38:37 PM
ITT: $300 in 2000 is the same as $300 today or further in the future.

Gaming costs the same or is cheaper now than ever.
---
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
#5Cornbread4lifePosted 11/28/2013 9:39:04 PM
Don't forget about inflation. I'm definitely not saying that's enough of a factor on its own to prevent consoles launching at those prices ever again, but it contributes to making future price drops less likely.
---
GT: Cornbread4life
#6DamnEvilDogPosted 11/28/2013 9:43:43 PM
ShuraYukihime posted...
ITT: $300 in 2000 is the same as $300 today or further in the future.

Gaming costs the same or is cheaper now than ever.

This.

Inflation son, inflation.
#7xHuckleberryPosted 11/28/2013 9:45:29 PM
The year 2000. Dang, i turned 16 then.

.94 cents a gallon for gas.

I miss you so very much.
#8skermacPosted 11/28/2013 9:47:00 PM
When the console goes all digital we will see that. It wont be that many years, maybe next gen 7 years from mow. No hdd needed, no dvd drive needed, everything will be on line.
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#9boolzeroPosted 11/28/2013 9:58:43 PM
forest_wanderer posted...
Obviously as the years go by, technology gets better, and the consumer demands more from the games they play. But at the same time this drives costs up, to the point we see consoles launching with MSRPs of $350 or $400 or even $600 in the disastrous PS3's case.

This gen we saw the Wii launch at $350, PS4 at $400 and now the XBOne at $500. I alllmost decided to bite the bullet and get an XBOne, but after reassessing my financial situation for the holidays I decided it'd be best to wait until it gets a price drop, and wait it out on my 360. I did buy a Wii U two months ago after they dropped its price and started bundling games with it, since I had no interest in spending $350 on nothing, when it launched.

But point I'm making is that consoles are only going to get more and more expensive. Do you think we'll ever reach a point where brands will be able to charge that little anymore, or are we gonna just have to get used to paying several hundred dollars everytime a new console releases?

My Atari 2600 cost $200 at launch when I bought it (yes, I'm old, don't say it!). By today's standards, that would equate to roughly $750, give or take (and actually closer to $770). Your perception of reality may be a bit askew. If anything, consoles have become cheaper as they have become more mainstream and easier to manufacture and produce. You can't merely look at it as a the number getting bigger and assuming that it is more expensive; economics and cost of living need to be taken into account.
---
Death is a dish best served with gravy...
#10ValimerPosted 11/28/2013 10:49:06 PM
boolzero posted...
forest_wanderer posted...

My Atari 2600 cost $200 at launch when I bought it (yes, I'm old, don't say it!). By today's standards, that would equate to roughly $750, give or take (and actually closer to $770). Your perception of reality may be a bit askew. If anything, consoles have become cheaper as they have become more mainstream and easier to manufacture and produce. You can't merely look at it as a the number getting bigger and assuming that it is more expensive; economics and cost of living need to be taken into account.

I like this guy. Nice info and post.
---
Sent from my iPhone.