Kotaku - Installing games on Xbox One takes way too long (PS4 comparison)

#11Ramsus082Posted 11/27/2013 10:50:55 AM
I wonder if this is a HDD issue with the XboxOne or an OS issue? It's weird that it's having such a hard time in comparison, considering the resources the console dedicates to OS functions.
---
Band I'm listening to - "Song I'm listening to"
#12therickmu25Posted 11/27/2013 10:52:25 AM
"Way too long" can be defined differently for everyone. Just saying.
---
Games List: http://i.imgur.com/n5R72Cl.jpg
PC Setup: http://i.imgur.com/fUPqE7N.jpg
#13Jiggy101011Posted 11/27/2013 10:52:31 AM
Sounds like the PS3, hopefully microsoft can get that fixed because that was my main gripe about having to install PS3 games before playing them.
---
Gamertag: F1RE v2 PSN ID: F1REx
If you want to troll, provide a source to backup your claims.
#14EvilTrashPosted 11/27/2013 10:53:02 AM
Stouffer1 posted...
I don't get the comparison?? Why compare a wifi download against a straight install?? Seems like a stupid way to check them both.

Because the update installs in the background while you're playing the game on PS4. It installs up front, and is required prior to first launch, on the Xbox One. So in order to start playing a game, to jump right in, you have to wait about 10 minutes versus 1 minute between Xbox One and PS4. Seems to me that PS4's way of doing things is just plain SMARTER. I wouldn't be surprised if the Xbox One was updated with a patch to do it in the same way, because really it is just a software change that makes a difference here. Install updates after launching the game, and you can start playing initially much faster.
#15Ramsus082Posted 11/27/2013 10:54:03 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#16method115Posted 11/27/2013 10:54:20 AM
Bassna posted...
It's odd that it takes so much longer. Is this something that maybe they can/will change or fix in a patch later on?

I think I read an article stating that MS was aware and going to patch it. Not sure though haven't researched it much.

It's sucks it's happening though how fast games are ready is easily one of my favorite things about the new gen. I hated having to wait last gen with my 360 to get games installed. I even had my GF go to my apartment and install my PS4 games for me while I was at work but little did I know it wasn't necessary
---
PSN: method114
#17CyborgTwentyPosted 11/27/2013 10:54:56 AM
Stouffer1 posted...
I don't get the comparison?? Why compare a wifi download against a straight install?? Seems like a stupid way to check them both.

Because on PS4 the update downloads and instals while you are already playing the game but on Xbone you have to painfully wait for the update before you can play.
#18Ironman06Posted 11/27/2013 10:55:52 AM
When I installed AC3, i was able to start playing in a couple of minutes. The whole game may not have been installed, but I was able to start playing.
#19CyborgTwentyPosted 11/27/2013 10:58:49 AM(edited)
Ironman06 posted...
When I installed AC3, i was able to start playing in a couple of minutes. The whole game may not have been installed, but I was able to start playing.

Yeah like you said a couple of minutes but on PS4 it only takes a couple of seconds.
#20Skynet82997Posted 11/27/2013 10:58:41 AM
Ramsus082 posted...
Skynet82997 posted...

I resent that you posted negative news about the X1. Let me try and deflect discussion to your motivations for posting it, rather than discuss the news itself.

It's just a game console, buddy. Let it go.

Really nice - changing what I said to insult me yet again. What a nasty little jerk you really are.

Asked you to ignore me multiple times, but HAVE to keep being a jerk to me at every possible chance. You're a class act.

I admitted the PS4 wins again and that he should be happy - it will be nice if XB1 gets patched to load games as fast.
---
XBL Gamertag - SkyNett / PSN ID - SkyeNett / Clan - TheSynndicate